Importing Function Dependencies From ELD/PLA-Files

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Importing Function Dependencies From ELD/PLA-Files

Postby bensat » 07 Oct 2014

I have a problem importing studies from old ELD/PLA files. I was a MC user many yrs ago, coming back again and just wanted to import some of my old studies from backup-files. But when I select just some of the studies in one backup file with more than hundreds of studies, which are dependent on functions, they won't compile. Because the functions were not imported as well and not automatically so they are missing.

Why that ?

Do I have to select every single function implemented in my imported studies ? Is there a workaround ?

Thank you.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Importing Function Dependencies From ELD/PLA-Files

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Oct 2014

Hello Ben,

Please try to compile a new empty study with no code. If you are unable to compile it - please follow these instructions: How to resolve the compiler error. If that is not the case - please send us the PLA file you are unable to import with screenshots of the error you have to support@multicharts.com

ABC

Postby ABC » 07 Oct 2014

Henry,

I don't think that is the issue here. The problem is that you can't select "import dependent functions" when you import from a file. Therefore you will likely miss to import the needed functions and have to manually check them and reimporting them.
When importing a file just containing one indicator this is not an issue, but when you just need a couple indicators out of a file containing several hundred indicators this can get quite annoying.
Is there a reason that "import dependent functions" is greyed out?

Regards,
ABC
Hello Ben,

Please try to compile a new empty study with no code. If you are unable to compile it - please follow these instructions: How to resolve the compiler error. If that is not the case - please send us the PLA file you are unable to import with screenshots of the error you have to support@multicharts.com

bensat

ABC & Henry,

thanks for the quick answers. ABC got it right to my problem and he's describing it very well when he is saying :
When importing a file just containing one indicator this is not an issue, but when you just need a couple indicators out of a file containing several hundred indicators this can get quite annoying.
Was also wondering why "Select dependent function(s)" is greyed out, because this would be the solution for the problem.

Thank you.

Ben

ABC

Postby ABC » 07 Oct 2014

By the way it appears that with ELDs this checkbox is not greyed out, but with files exported directly from Multicharts it is.

Regards,
ABC

bensat

ABC,

thank you. I just checked it now and you are right. I gave no attention to it when I tried it earlier. Just saw it when trying to import pla-files. Like always, these are the majority of the files to be imported. Not my day ;)

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Oct 2014

"Export dependent functions" is important upon export only. When you import the archive of studies you can see all of the studies in this archive. If the dependent functions were not selected upon export then you won't be able to compile your studies if the required functions are not in the list.

"Select dependent function(s)" greyed out in the import window has nothing to do with that.

ABC

Postby ABC » 07 Oct 2014

Henry,

I am afraid you are missing the point. Assume you have a file with 1000 functions and indicators in it that you exported a couple of years back - everything is in the file, no function missing. Now you want to re-import just a few indicators from that file, but you don't know which functions are needed for each indicator - which after years or even month is not a surprise, after all why should you even remember it. So you start importing the indicators you want, but of course they won't compile in case they were depending on functions (simply because they are not there). Then you have to go through the imported indicators and make a list of all missing functions and go back to the file and re-import them. Sure that's not a huge deal, but it's wasted time and it seems ironic that it works with ELDs in Multicharts, but not with MCs own files.

Regards,
ABC

bensat

Thank's ABC for the explanation. Even worse when you have functions in function of the function of that function. Like I often have. So it will be a long day tomorrow. ;(

Henry, ABC got me very right.

Ben

bensat

Postby bensat » 08 Oct 2014

So we can consider this issue (importing PLA's with grayed out "add dependent function(s)) as a bug ? I just gave up importing studies today. Would be nice to have a quick patch very soon.

Thank you.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

Henry,

I am afraid you are missing the point. Assume you have a file with 1000 functions and indicators in it that you exported a couple of years back - everything is in the file, no function missing. Now you want to re-import just a few indicators from that file, but you don't know which functions are needed for each indicator - which after years or even month is not a surprise, after all why should you even remember it. So you start importing the indicators you want, but of course they won't compile in case they were depending on functions (simply because they are not there). Then you have to go through the imported indicators and make a list of all missing functions and go back to the file and re-import them. Sure that's not a huge deal, but it's wasted time and it seems ironic that it works with ELDs in Multicharts, but not with MCs own files.

Regards,
ABC
Hello ABC,

That is correct. This functionality exists for ELD files, but not for PLA files. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

ABC

Postby ABC » 08 Oct 2014

Henry,

we had the exact same conversation two years ago here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10518#p55110) and I trust that in case the MC team would have seen the usefulness of this feature back then it would already be implemented by now. I don't think a feature request would (have) changed that.

Regards,
ABC

That is correct. This functionality exists for ELD files, but not for PLA files. You may want to submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

bensat

Postby bensat » 08 Oct 2014

Henry,

thank you for your answer and suggestion to submit a feature request and let people vote for it. But do we seriously need a vote for it ? From what I wrote before you can see me already struggling big time while thinking making one backup file for all studies is a nice idea. Seems like it was a huge mistake.

Please don't tell me I could have saved and backed up all studies one by one. There is another problem while importing functions with the same name and slightly different content. This could lead into other studies/functions (which already compiled successfully) won't work and compile again, because of newer imported functions. That's another trap.

Further, while providing the "Implement dependent functions" feature from ELS/ELD-files, you could warn people that exporting studies in PLA-files will not provide this feature, before you export it into PLA-files. Wondering why a MC-file-format doesn't work and the TS-file-format works.

Seriously, I don't think we need another vote for it.

Thank you ABC for your words.

Ben

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Oct 2014

Dear users,

We appreciate your feedback. All feature requests are forwarded to the management of the company and are evaluated in a timely manner. Please note that even though we value your opinion not all requests can be implemented due to the fact that some features do not fit into our current roadmap. That is why we want to see the users demand for this functionality.

Return to “MultiCharts”