Memory Limitations

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
duration

Memory Limitations

Postby duration » 10 Feb 2011

Hello,

MC is a great software that I use everyday but I am a bit frustrated by MC's memory limitations, and I would like to now what other users think of the following suggestions:

1. Increase the maximum tsstorage.gdb file size, which is currently 4 Gb, to unlimited, as the NTFS file system supports files as large as the volume they are written on.

2. Uncap the maximum number of bars per chart and allow the user to decide how many bars should be on the charts, maybe with a warning message if the number of bar dangerously exceeds the amount of RAM available.

3. Increase the amount of RAM supported by each module (charting, backtesting etc.), to at least 32 Gb (might be coming with MC 64-bit).

Many thanks,

tcat

Re: Memory Limitations

Postby tcat » 10 Feb 2011

My feedback per topic:

1) Although I haven't faced the tsstorage.gdb limitation yet, anyone using tick data over several years with multiple instruments will easily reach 4 Gb. Now, MC using the firebird DB for storage, the firebird project has the following limitations:
NTFS has a 4GB file size limit (Windows NT)
NTFS has a 16EiB file size limit (Windows NT5 / 2000 and newer)
So, moving to 64 bit should be associated to naturally getting rid of the current limitation.

2) The number of max bars back can be changed through registry modification. Having done that, I no longer face any issue on this matter, as my amount of ram allows for the extension.

3) The amount of ram currently supported is 32 bits related, moving to 64 bits will suppress the issue.

To my opinion, the move to 64 bits will solve everything....when it is there and works.

;-)
Thierry

Lara

Postby Lara » 10 Feb 2011

Mostly this problem will be fixed in MC7 and it is coming out pretty soon! :)

duration

Postby duration » 13 Feb 2011

Tcat, Lara,

Thank you for your replies.

It seems that the 64-bit version will remove many limitations, and this is excellent news.

Will MC64 be able to plot more than 5,000,000 bars, and hopefully as many as the memory allows?

Many thanks,

tcat

Postby tcat » 14 Feb 2011

This thread might answer one of your question:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7756

I changed the registry key a while ago, as I was also running into bar count slimitations. As I am running several charts with multiple data series, I do get a lot of memory warning and a very, very long boot time. But it makes the job.

Thierry

duration

Postby duration » 14 Feb 2011

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for your reply.

I am already using this registry modification.

Hopefully, the maximum number of bars will be increased with MC64.

Many thanks,

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 07 Oct 2014

Hello,

MC is a great software that I use everyday but I am a bit frustrated by MC's memory limitations, and I would like to now what other users think of the following suggestions:

1. Increase the maximum tsstorage.gdb file size, which is currently 4 Gb, to unlimited, as the NTFS file system supports files as large as the volume they are written on.

2. Uncap the maximum number of bars per chart and allow the user to decide how many bars should be on the charts, maybe with a warning message if the number of bar dangerously exceeds the amount of RAM available.

3. Increase the amount of RAM supported by each module (charting, backtesting etc.), to at least 32 Gb (might be coming with MC 64-bit).

Many thanks,
It is an old thread, but good questions. I know answer for 2. is that MC64 does not have 5 million bar limitation on a chart.

I would like to know answer for 1. and 3. Thanks a lot.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

Databases files are no longer limited to 4gb size.
MultiCharts 32 bit is limited to 5 mln bars per chart.
MultiCharts 64 bit is limited to 100 mln bars per chart.
MultiCharts 32 bit has a Windows limitation of 2 GB of virtual memory per process (like each other 32 bit application does).
MultiCharts 64 bit has no such limitation and can utilize all of the available RAM.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Oct 2014

Please note that while MultiCharts64 can address more memory space,

Microsoft has imposed limitation on its various Windows operating system. Please ensure you obtain the correct version of Windows for your task.

Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/library ... s.85).aspx

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 08 Oct 2014

Databases files are no longer limited to 4gb size.
Fantastic!
I am thinking of getting an IQFEED connection and saving tick data for 1800 stocks in the MC database. Collecting tick data for 1800 US stocks, will start to quickly fill DB.

Question: What is the impact on performance if db size gets very large. With a 20 GB or a 40 GB database size, how will MC64 perform for backtesting/live trading etc, compared to now when my db is of 2 GB size?
MultiCharts 32 bit is limited to 5 mln bars per chart.
MultiCharts 64 bit is limited to 100 mln bars per chart.
If a chart has 5 data series viz. data1, data2, data3, data4 and data5, then whether upper limit is 20 million bars per chart for each data series? Or each data series can have 100 million bars, so whole chart can have 500 million bars in MC64?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Oct 2014

Question: What is the impact on performance if db size gets very large. With a 20 GB or a 40 GB database size, how will MC64 perform for backtesting/live trading etc, compared to now when my db is of 2 GB size?
The size of the database has no impact on the performance. The amount of the data loaded on a chart can impact it.
If a chart has 5 data series viz. data1, data2, data3, data4 and data5, then whether upper limit is 20 million bars per chart for each data series? Or each data series can have 100 million bars, so whole chart can have 500 million bars in MC64?
The limitation is per data series. Each data series can have 100 mln bars in MultiCharts 64 bit.

arnie

Postby arnie » 08 Oct 2014

Careful when "playing" with tick data.
It you load too much data on a chart it will make any chart platform to choke and even become unresponsive specially if dealing with the ES contract

Return to “MultiCharts”