Heikin Ashi - autotrading

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
morpheous

Heikin Ashi - autotrading

Postby morpheous » 27 Oct 2014

Hello,

I'm new to Multi charts and autotrading in general. I'm wondering where I could find an autotrade signal that will buy/sell based on Heikin Ashi Charts?
i.e. buy on green bar sell on red sort of thing.

Thanks

Jim

MAtricks

Re: Heikin Ashi - autotrading

Postby MAtricks » 27 Oct 2014

Hi Jim,

I'd suggest starting on a regular bar type instead of these unique bars. HA bars look great, but will not help in live trading.

Also, these unique bars are not made for auto trading. Do not attempt that.

Good luck!

morpheous

Thanks for the reply MAtricks, I actually am autotrading using standard charts a couple of other trading plans but wanted to use one that employee's heikin ashi as a trigger signal to buy sell.

Does this need to be programmed from scratch (which I have no clue to do) or is there one out there that someone can share?

I'm really asking if there is a location where additional addons can be shared (not just the pay ware stuff)

Thanks

Jim

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 27 Oct 2014

Not sure what you mean by add ons ?

Are you using any of the autotrade signals that come with Multicharts ?

They all can be applied to the heiken ashi chart. You can mess around with those basic signals if you want to experiment. You dont need special coding to get started.

I did some testing with the heiken ashi chart.
I had a ok results on large time frame swing trading, but there was no distinct advantage to it that I could see.

morpheous

Sorry, my fault, I don't think I'm being clear. When I was referring to add ons I was referring to signals. Yes I've used the ones that come with Multicharts, they are good signals but what I'm trying to do is use Heikin Ashi as the signal. i.e. buy at open of next bar when Heiken Ashi 5min candle turns from red to green (or whatever colours are used for negative to positive) and vice versa.

Jim

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Oct 2014

They all can be applied to the heiken ashi chart. You can mess around with those basic signals if you want to experiment. You dont need special coding to get started.
I'm sorry, but I must disagree here. They cannot reliably be applied to the MC Heiken Ashi chart type. The Close is not the actual close, the Open is not the real open, the High is not the real high, and the Low is not the real low. So.. these bars would produce very optimistic and very fake and unrealistic results.

You can create some custom HA code which I have somewhere, but to make things easy, you can just back-test using the HA bars on Data2 and the same or lesser time frame regular bar on Data1 for executing. That code would be very simple and would show you how beneficial this bar type is.

Example:
1. Setup your chart with Data1 as a regular 15 minute bar
2. Add Instrument which will be Data2 and set it as Heikin Ashi bars with a 15 minute interval
3. Apply this example code which reads Data2's (HA bars) movements and trades on Data1 (real data)

Code: Select all

If C Data2 crosses over C[1] Data2 then
buy this bar ;
If C Data2 crosses under C[1] Data2 then
sellshort this bar ;

oppidum

Postby oppidum » 28 Oct 2014

As HA bars are some kind of smoothing, applying signals to HA charts may be interesting (I do for some strats). But as previously said it's very very very important to be aware of it's construction and obviously as the way you send your orders in HA charts.

Nothing special to add regarding the pros and cons of those bars, but in order to easily compare live vs BT results, you can create a workspace with 2 identical charts+signals .

- The easiest way to do that is to configure a chart with all you need. Once you've got it as you want, you copy and paste it ("copy/paste Window" in the "file" menu of MC).

- With those 2 identical charts+signal you display them in parallel and run a chart in live mode and the other one in forward test mode.

- To keep a graphical track of the live trades, you draw a line over them. Once you've got a few executed trades, you can copy/paste your live charts with it's drawn lines and run it in BT mode. On that new chart you will then have the lines you previously draw overlaying the BT.

Well it's just an easy way to compare.
Good work.

Return to “MultiCharts”