Making Many Symbols Available

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MC_Prog

Making Many Symbols Available

Postby MC_Prog » 01 Mar 2007

Being new to MC, I'm not clear on how to make a large number of symbols available for charting purposes.

Suppose I'm interested in the Nasdaq 100 (this will ultimately apply to SP500, Russell 2000, etc.) ...

I also have a datafeed (suppose IB).

I want to give MC a list of the N100 symbols and tell it: "Whenever I ask for any of these, get them from IB".

How can I do this?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 01 Mar 2007

Dear Sir,
I want to give MC a list of the N100 symbols
1. There is no functionality to add only those symbols included in a given Index. You should to know what exact symbols are included in a given Index and then add these symbols one-by-one. You need to perform this procedure just once.
and tell it: "Whenever I ask for any of these, get them from IB".
Once you added a symbol it will stay in QuoteManager until you delete it. When plotting a chart you always set both datafeed & symbol. So you always control if you plot e.g. GOOG from IB, eSignal, IQFeed or whatever.

MC_Prog

Thanks for your reply.

Choosing the N100 as a list was arbitrary.

My question really revolves around inputting a list of symbols (any list).

Are you truly saying that I have no other choice but to add symbols one-by one?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 01 Mar 2007

Some data providers e.g. eSignal allow adding a bundle of symbols at once. You just need to type in a part of symbol name with asterisk or asterisk only in Symbol Search window.

MC_Prog

Thanks again for your reply.

Perhaps though I've still not been clear in my question.

Let's forget the data provider entirely ...

I want to input to MC a list of symbols, either by pasting it in, or by loading it from a file.

Can I do it?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 04 Mar 2007

Dear Sir,

Currently you can not add symbols to the symbol list from an exeternal file. Probably we will add this functionality in the future.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 07 Mar 2007

Andrew,

Thanks for your definitive answer. I appreciate it.

Speaking for myself, I think not being able to work with symbols "en-masse" is a major usability shortcoming.

It is extremely typical to approach the market in a top-down way, using scanners of choice to come up with a symbol list, which you will then want to be able to chart/model/analyze etc. Not being able to simply and quickly import such lists is pretty much of a show-stopper for alot of people. Almost (but not quite) everyone I know personally considers this a necessity, not a "nice to have".

Sure, you can pick a few E-mini's, or a single small sector, and enter everything one-by-one, but for more than a dozen or two symbols, not having computer assistance is simply contrary to the reason we buy computers in the first place!

The charting, data/brokerage connection, and programming capabilities of MC are impressive, but if basic workflow isn't accomodated, it is all for naught. IMO, the very most important thing that this sort of software must consider is the user's time. Every development priority decision should be referenced to this standard.

So, I hope we'll see improvement in this area, and soon.

Thanks again.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Mar 2007

Dear MC_Prog,

We really consider adding this functionality.

Meanwhile contact me privately and we will setup a database with required symbols for you.

Return to “MultiCharts”