Data Loss that cannot be refreshed......

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TA100

Data Loss that cannot be refreshed......

Postby TA100 » 13 Nov 2014

Since MC 9 (64 bit) now appears to write real time data to cache ram and to only 'save' real time data on a platform 'exit' if there is an unexpected power outage at the user end any data which cannot be refreshed by the data vendor/broker is then lost and not just since the outage if MC has been running all week. Such an outage happened to me last night and has caused a 3 day data loss for bid and ask data from OEC (Futures Online) for 5 symbols (when configured as data 2 & 3 ).

Would any MC & OEC customer have a workaround to fill the gaps as this is like 1995 with a satellite feed!

Thanks
Michael
Attachments
Bid&Ask_Loss.PNG
(31.05 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Data Loss that cannot be refreshed......

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Nov 2014

Hello MichaelS,

Please follow the next steps to enable old-fashioned file cache instead of the new RAM cache:
  1. Close MultiCharts and all its parts
  2. Make sure all MC processes are ended in Windows Task Manager. Here you can find the list of all MC processes: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Processes
  3. Please open registry window by going to Windows Start menu, then typing “regedit” and hitting “Enter” key
  4. In the registry you will be able to find the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Storage\UseFileCache
  5. Change value of the UseFileCache to 1.

bensat

Postby bensat » 13 Nov 2014

As I wrote in another thread to keep advantage of RAM cache and saving data from time to time to prevent data loss, I would suggest to use FancyCache or SuperSpeed cache solutions. Further keep in mind a RamDisk to load the hole MC environment into the RamDisk and save data in intervals during the day. But to prevent data errors (not to mix up with data loss) please use RamDisk in conjunction with MC with ECC-Ram only.

I hope this helps to think about your future setup over the weekend to prevent data losses you experienced.

My regards.

Ben

TA100

As I wrote in another thread to keep advantage of RAM cache and saving data from time to time to prevent data loss, I would suggest to use FancyCache or SuperSpeed cache solutions. Further keep in mind a RamDisk to load the hole MC environment into the RamDisk and save data in intervals during the day. But to prevent data errors (not to mix up with data loss) please use RamDisk in conjunction with MC with ECC-Ram only.

I hope this helps to think about your future setup over the weekend to prevent data losses you experienced.

My regards.

Ben
Hi Ben,
Thank you. How would you save data throughout the day as I understood MC saves on exit? Perhaps that is possible with a RamDisk which I'm afraid I know little about as yet. I only just replaced my trading pc with a fast processor and 32 gig ram + 2 SD drives. I'm just wondering how Andrew's suggestion (not storing intraday data in cache but writing to disk) would alter the access speed to data.. seems a bit of a backward step. Of course tomorrow (murphy's law) I'll have 2 locations storing the data so unless the broker server goes down I'll have some ability to patch...

If any kind soul out there is storing bid and ask from OEC for @RLM-M, @ES, @FDAX, @FTSE since last Sunday I would very much appreciate a .qmd patch for this week which can be done through Quote Manager /File / Export Data.

Thank you
Michael

TA100

Hello MichaelS,

Please follow the next steps to enable old-fashioned file cache instead of the new RAM cache:
  1. Close MultiCharts and all its parts
  2. Make sure all MC processes are ended in Windows Task Manager. Here you can find the list of all MC processes: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Processes
  3. Please open registry window by going to Windows Start menu, then typing “regedit” and hitting “Enter” key
  4. In the registry you will be able to find the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Storage\UseFileCache
  5. Change value of the UseFileCache to 1.
Hi Andrew, thank you for your solution which would limit the data loss to the period of the outage rather than for the whole week. However what functionality/speed would one give up by doing it this way? As i explained below, just upgraded processor & ram to 32 gig and previous mem and speed issues were gone as a result so I'd almost prefer to deal with the data issue...

OEC have told me historical bid and ask should be available to download but suggested MC data refresh request may not be asking for it when bid and ask are configured as separate datastreams. Is that a possibility?

Thanks

Michael

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 13 Nov 2014

However what functionality/speed would one give up by doing it this way? As i explained below, just upgraded processor & ram to 32 gig and previous mem and speed issues were gone as a result so I'd almost prefer to deal with the data issue...
It will work as any version of MC prior to MC 9.0, the cache will be stored on C drive (by default) instead of RAM. It should not dramatically affect your MC performance.
OEC have told me historical bid and ask should be available to download but suggested MC data refresh request may not be asking for it when bid and ask are configured as separate datastreams. Is that a possibility?
If you request historical aks and bids on a chart, they will be downloaded from your vendor's servers and when close MC, the data will be stored locally. Next time you plot identical chart, the stored data is brought up and only missing data is requested.

bensat

Postby bensat » 13 Nov 2014

....... How would you save data throughout the day as I understood MC saves on exit? Perhaps that is possible with a RamDisk which I'm afraid I know little about as yet.
You just set both solutions (FancyCache/SuperSpeed) or RamDisk to save data in an intervall to your harddisk. As long as it is not written in the harddisk, it is kept in your RAM for faster access. But as Andrew wrote, with the most up-to-date SSD's, there is no real performance issue anymore, till you are not involved in really serious real-time data analysis. Read/write count doesn't have any impact on todays SSD's anymore. So for data reliability you should/can disable RAM-caching.

My Regards.

Ben

Return to “MultiCharts”