Multicharts goes multi-platform ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Multicharts goes multi-platform ?

Postby bensat » 13 Nov 2014

Christmas 2015 with Multicharts (Linux/Mac) under the tree ?

Link : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/ ... r-net.aspx

What do you think ?

My Regards.

Ben

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Multicharts goes multi-platform ?

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 17 Nov 2014

Hello bensat,

Our developers say MC hardly will work on anything other than Windows OS.

bensat

Postby bensat » 17 Nov 2014

Thank you Andrew. Appreciate your comment.

Regards.

Ben

javamarket

Postby javamarket » 20 Nov 2014

Hello bensat,

Our developers say MC hardly will work on anything other than Windows OS.
Sounds like your developers are [might be] core Windows OS stack devs...there may be a conflict of interest there to be considered.

It may be a bit like asking Fedex if you should also use UPS ... you can expect a bias.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Nov 2014

bensat

Postby bensat » 20 Nov 2014

Our trading is running on a Linux stack and most of participants on EUREX/Eureonext/Liffe I know is already running on Linux or considering to move. If I would not use MC for my private research, I wouldn't use Windows OS either. Again, many think like this. This is not an exception.

Even TT is moving multi-platform with their TT-NEXT. RTS is multi-platform, IB already is and so on and so on. In the pro trading business Linux is all about. I know some HFT's who wrote their own OS's just for HFT. In the retail business there is already something going on.

Just to mention the current share of the OS's is a little bit "trivial".

Regards

Ben

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 20 Nov 2014

In the pro trading business Linux is all about
That hasn't been my experience at all. Most of the shops I've worked at or consulted with have used Windows.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 20 Nov 2014

That hasn't been my experience at all. Most of the shops I've worked at or consulted with have used Windows.
+1

As far as using linux for trading is concerned, it is mostly used by high frequency firms. MC is not designed for high frequency trading. People use Windows to trade strategies firing orders every second, and with hold time of few seconds. Even people using TT's autospreader run it on Windows, which is always quoting in the market.

For people who need linux to run MC, I think we need more detailed reasons as to why Multicharts should be supported on linux? What benefits etc.?

arnie

Postby arnie » 20 Nov 2014

Interesting, we have people complaining about useless features requested by MC users but then they talk about MC should go multi platform because their trading are running on Linux and because of MC they are still using Windows.

So basically they would like MC to run on Linux because it fits their view... but they don't appreciate other users request features that fit their views.

Interesting...

andywill

Postby andywill » 20 Nov 2014

+1

As far as using linux for trading is concerned, it is mostly used by high frequency firms. MC is not designed for high frequency trading. People use Windows to trade strategies firing orders every second, and with hold time of few seconds. Even people using TT's autospreader run it on Windows, which is always quoting in the market.

For people who need linux to run MC, I think we need more detailed reasons as to why Multicharts should be supported on linux? What benefits etc.?

There is one very good reason. If you want to backtest anything you will need more RAM and CPUs than Windows allows. The Computers therefore get cheaper and cheaper. In a few years nearly everyone with a $20k to $50k budget can afford such a machine. But Windows may not support so many CPUs. Thats the bottleneck.

Let me add, even if you buy a high sophisticated trading machine with most expensive CPUs on Windows machine, you will get for the same money a much higher value in speed on a Linux machine today, because you can add a lot more cheap CPUs.
Last edited by andywill on 20 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

bensat

Interesting, we have people complaining about useless features requested by MC users but then they talk about MC should go multi platform because their trading are running on Linux and because of MC they are still using Windows.

So basically they would like MC to run on Linux because it fits their view... but they don't appreciate other users request features that fit their views.

Interesting...
Arnie & Andrew Multicharts,

Not so interesting at all, because you want to see something what's not there.

I'm not requesting nor I'm talking MC should go multi-platform. I was just asking MC is thinking about it, because Microsoft may opening some doors. I was just talking about my every day experience and with my comments I don't see any non-appreciation of other users view.

Regards.

Ben
Last edited by bensat on 20 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 20 Nov 2014

I think it was a good question in light of Microsoft's recent announcement. It would be interesting to see whether it could work directly on a Mac or a Linux box using the ported .net framework, but I don't think MultiCharts should spend time re-writing their software to specifically work on those boxes.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 20 Nov 2014

Please leave us such feature request in PM and if there are any plans to have MC on Linux or any other OS, the subscribers will be notified. Right now we don't consider it.

bensat

As I wrote before I am NOT requesting a MC Linux port nor anything else. I'm aware how difficult it can be to port something from Windows OS to a Linux kernel based OS. It was just a question because of Microsoft's announcement. Further, searching through the forum, I saw there already was a discussion about MC and Linux.

.... and Arnie, my name is not "people", for you I'm Ben. I was complaining about many people, you are just talking about me. So call my name. If you don't like my thread opening because of my complaining about others feature requests, write your comment there. It is much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards.

Ben

orion

Postby orion » 20 Nov 2014

There is one very good reason. If you want to backtest anything you will need more RAM and CPUs than Windows allows. The Computers therefore get cheaper and cheaper. In a few years nearly everyone with a $20k to $50k budget can afford such a machine. But Windows may not support so many CPUs. Thats the bottleneck.

Let me add, even if you buy a high sophisticated trading machine with most expensive CPUs on Windows machine, you will get for the same money a much higher value in speed on a Linux machine today, because you can add a lot more cheap CPUs.
I have not seen problems with threaded software (of the order of two dozen threads) in Windows. Linux would be a distraction for MC. If you need more backtest performance, there are ways to get it on Windows. Optimized C++ versions of typical indicators can deliver 20-100X performance of their PL counterparts.

Return to “MultiCharts”