MC for Interactive Brokers (automated trading of portfolio)?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
quantum777

MC for Interactive Brokers (automated trading of portfolio)?

Postby quantum777 » 04 Jan 2015

MC for Interactive Brokers (fully automated trading of portfolio)?

I would like to fully autotrade a portfolio of 130 seasonal stocks using custom c++ algo's and purchased indicators.

Has anyone had experience positive or negative using MC?

Please help me. Quantum777

fbertram

Re: MC for Interactive Brokers (automated trading of portfol

Postby fbertram » 05 Jan 2015

Hi Quantum,

I am actually using MultiCharts's Portfolio Trader for an algorithm that trades 5-10 stocks out of a pool of about 180 stocks. I find the Portfolio Trader extremely well done, supporting everything that's required to develop, backtest, analyze and automate such a trading scheme. Regarding documentation, MultiCharts is a bit lean. I can deal with that when using PowerLanguage, but I found the .Net APIs messy and co fusing. Integration of C++ code might not be fun, as PowerLanguage is not object-oriented. There is an interface to call DLLs, but you would need to work with mangled names and such... unless your C++ code ultimately has a standard-C interface. Interactive Brokers seems to work... but I am personally still working out some kinks.

Only other tool I can compare to is NT7. While I have been able to implement the same algorithm with it, it was very cludgey. Analysis on a portfolio level was not easily possible and would have required the development of additional tools. Programming in .Net was a breeze, thanks to good documentation and very clean APIs. Responses in the forum were less helpful than MultiCharts. Often, references to NT8 where made, which keeps getting pushed out.

Not sure this answers your questions.

Cheers, Felix

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Jan 2015

Hello Quantum777,

MultiCharts for TWS does not have Portfolio Trader. In order to use Portfolio Trader - you need to be running the full version of MultiCharts.

quantum777

Postby quantum777 » 05 Jan 2015

I should have put in my comments that I would be only investing on End of Day Data and not intra-day trading for 130 seasonal stocks. Does this change your kind answer to my post? Quantum777

fbertram

Hi Quantum,

no, it doesn't. That's exactly what I am doing with end-of-day data coming from MB Trading. In case your data come from a different source than your broker itself (like they do for me), you would need to set up symbol mapping - which is easily done.

Regarding Henry's comment: Please notice that I am running a full version of MultiCharts, not MultiCharts for TWS.

Cheers, Felix

quantum777

Postby quantum777 » 05 Jan 2015

fbertram:

How many end of day data stocks can you run in the MC full version of the portfolio manager

fbertram

I don't know. I assume that memory is the main limitation. I am running a little over 180 stocks and see absolutely no issues with that.

Cheers, Felix

Return to “MultiCharts”