Failed To Save Portfolio Performance Report

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MB99mph

Failed To Save Portfolio Performance Report

Postby MB99mph » 27 Oct 2014

Multicharts keeps failing to save Portfolio Performance Reports. I have reinstalled MC three times, and even reinstalled Microsoft Excel and Open Office Calc, which are the two options available to me; to no avail. It goes through the process of starting to save the report and either gets hung at the end or terminates with the message "failed to save".

This happens with my own strategies and canned strategies. What is causing this?

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Failed To Save Portfolio Performance Report

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 28 Oct 2014

Hello MB99mph,
  1. Are able to see the complete report after you call it and before you try to save it?
  2. How many trades do you have in the report?

MB99mph

Postby MB99mph » 28 Oct 2014

Yes, I can see the full report prior to trying to save it. There are 1277 trades. Prior to this I was able to save backtests with 20,000 trades without issue.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 28 Oct 2014

If you can see the report, it means it is correctly exported from MC into Internet Explorer. It is shown in Internet Explorer frame. If you experience the problem after you see this, it means the problem is somewhere between Internet Explorer and Excel/Open Office. I would recommend you to upgrade IE and Excel/Open office to the latest versions.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 29 Oct 2014

Hi.

If it is suggested that Office (of any version) be kept up current to the latest service pack, that seems sensible and reasonable.

However, if it is being suggested that Office 2007 (for example) is by design no longer acceptable for working in tandem with MC - then that is a major problem for many users in the field.

I really hope this is not what is being suggested ...

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 29 Oct 2014

If it is suggested that Office (of any version) be kept up current to the latest service pack, that seems sensible and reasonable.

However, if it is being suggested that Office 2007 (for example) is by design no longer acceptable for working in tandem with MC - then that is a major problem for many users in the field.
The thing is that after the values are shown as the report, MC software itself no longer affects anything. Export is done by Internet Explorer and Office tools. I just suggested to upgrade those, maybe it can help to resolve the issue.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 29 Oct 2014

hi
Wouldn't it be better to have all performance reports, including strategy performance reports saved to an MC database ? This way we are not dependent on having another software program.

Most trading programs save all trading data to a local database so the user does not have to export or save data manually like we do with MC.

shane

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 29 Oct 2014

Wouldn't it be better to have all performance reports, including strategy performance reports saved to an MC database ? This way we are not dependent on having another software program.

Most trading programs save all trading data to a local database so the user does not have to export or save data manually like we do with MC.
Please leave us such feature request.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 29 Oct 2014

hi

shane
I think this is a great suggestion!! Please make the PM entry. I will vote on it!

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 29 Oct 2014

I added this as a feature request

To be able to save all trade data locally to database without having to run a separate spreadsheet program.

MB99mph

Postby MB99mph » 30 Oct 2014

Today I had a chat session with support, and let them onto my machine remotely. They installed updated versions of two dll files that corrected the errors with saving reports. Seems to work fine now.

enalmada

Postby enalmada » 14 Dec 2014

I am having the same problem exporting to ods. Right after, "Writing Overview by Symbols..." sheet it then says "Failed to save file" in red and then "All Done".

I created an issue to track: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1812

Since this was posted October 30, I updated to latest version of Multicharts (v9r4) and OpenOffice (4.1.1) hoping whatever was in those dlls would have gotten into latest build but no, still having same problem. :(
Attachments
FailedToSave.png
Pic of export issue
(35.58 KiB) Downloaded 2559 times

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 17 Dec 2014

I am having the same problem exporting to ods. Right after, "Writing Overview by Symbols..." sheet it then says "Failed to save file" in red and then "All Done".

I created an issue to track: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1812

Since this was posted October 30, I updated to latest version of Multicharts (v9r4) and OpenOffice (4.1.1) hoping whatever was in those dlls would have gotten into latest build but no, still having same problem. :(
We are analazying the issue.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 22 Jan 2015

The problem will be fixed in next version of MultiCharts.

fbertram

Postby fbertram » 24 Jan 2015

Dear MultiCharts fans,

I am wondering if I am having the same issue:

I am trying to export a Portfolio Report from Portfolio Trader to OpenOffice. Everything seems to run well... and then at the last stage I am seeing an error 'failed to save file' and no export is created.

This is really a severe limitation... when will this be fixed?

Thank you,
best regards, Felix

Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.20.25 AM.png
(208.85 KiB) Downloaded 2636 times

orion

Postby orion » 24 Jan 2015

I am trying to export a Portfolio Report from Portfolio Trader to OpenOffice. Everything seems to run well... and then at the last stage I am seeing an error 'failed to save file' and no export is created. This is really a severe limitation... when will this be fixed?
I have developed a simple workaround for this which is to write my own report while doing the strategy calculations in the backtest. I am able to generate a comprehensive report with statistics like Sortino ratio and such that are not available in the MC report. As an example, a realistic strategy running on 1 minute data for all US futures over a span of 8 years takes only a minute or so to run (the run time includes the time to write my report to disk). That run time quoted is after the data is loaded from the database (the data load from the database takes about 6 minutes). And the strategy has well over 20,000 trades. I would say there isn't any severe limitation to be fixed given some of the other things that need fixing. ;-)

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 27 Jan 2015

I am wondering if I am having the same issue:
Yes :-)

fbertram

Postby fbertram » 08 Feb 2015

Release 5 does the trick. Thanks Multicharts team!

orion

Postby orion » 10 Feb 2015

My portfolio backtesting is noticeably faster with release 5.

siscop

Postby siscop » 17 Dec 2016

I am sorry to bring up this old thread but I seem to have the same problem.
I am using MC 64 10.0 Build 13626
and Libreoffice 5.1.6.2
I just updated it from 4.x where I had the same problem
SaveFile.jpg
(189.47 KiB) Downloaded 2425 times
It would be nice if someone could help me with this or at least give me a workaround.

PS: Please mark this thread as unsolved :(

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 Dec 2016

Hello siscop,

Please use OpenOffice. LibreOffice is not supported.

Return to “MultiCharts”