Making the change from NT to .NET Special Edition  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
rsilk

Making the change from NT to .NET Special Edition

Postby rsilk » 03 Mar 2015

I have been using NT for about a year now and recently attended a webinar on MC .net64 Special Edition.
I was intrigued enough to download it and give it a try. I got it via AMP & it uses the CQG data feed.

After 3 hectic days of configuring & testing, I can say that I like the UI (workspaces, charting, order entry) of MC a lot -- but -- there are some indicators that I use that are not available. Primarily these are Woodies CCI, Woodies Pivots and Darvas Box. Compared to NT and TS, this limited set of indicators, for me, is a drawback.

I think the Alerts feature is great. However, on the included Chaikin Oscillator, one of the primary signals is when the oscillator crosses the zero line. This is not triggered and since I am not a C# programmer and SE only can open *.PLN files, I am unable to enjoy the potential benefit.

Another NT feature I have found very useful, which again is not available on MC, is downloading of replay data so I can SIM trade offline to practice my trading skills.

Anyone else wrestling with these migration issues?
Last edited by rsilk on 07 Mar 2015, edited 1 time in total.

JoshM

Re: Making the change from NT to .NET SE

Postby JoshM » 07 Mar 2015

I think the Alerts feature is great. However, on the included Chaikin Oscillator, one of the primary signals is when the oscillator crosses the zero line. This is not triggered and since I am not a C# programmer and SE only can open *.PLN files, I am unable to enjoy the potential benefit.
MC .NET SE has been replaced by the free MC .NET for TWS a little while ago. But both platforms (if I recall correctly) can open .pln files, so scripts can be edited.

By the way, all scripts (indicators, strategies, and functions) are contains in .pln files. So 'can only open .pln files' isn't an obstacle to changing the code, but a requirement actually.
Another NT feature I have found very useful, which again is not available on MC, is downloading of replay data so I can SIM trade offline to practice my trading skills.
The Playback Mode in MultiCharts is based on minute, second, or tick data downloaded from your historical data provider (or collected in real-time). So there's no need to download special 'Market Replay' files.

rsilk

Postby rsilk » 07 Mar 2015

Although it is possible to replay market data, I don't think it is possible to actually SIM trade (buy & sell) with that data since all orders are executed based on the current data/time.

As my expertise in the languages supported by MC.NET is almost nil, then myself and probably many others might find that an issue, as we are reliant on commercial indicator vendors or MC themselves.

However, I was able to modify the Floor Pivots indicator to create a Woodie Pivot version since they are very similar. I recently uploaded it the downloads forum (may not be available yet).

AlphaCat

Postby AlphaCat » 07 Mar 2015

The SE edition doesnt even work anymore - you will get a license error when you try to start it. And dont count on MC for TWS being around for too long. They have axed the free products on a management-whim 2 times before (despite stating it would be around"forever").

rsilk

Postby rsilk » 07 Mar 2015

This is the latest free product offering with no license fees I am referring to:
MultiCharts .NET64 Special Edition Version 9.0 Release (Build 10815)

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 08 Mar 2015

This is the latest free product offering with no license fees I am referring to:
MultiCharts .NET64 Special Edition Version 9.0 Release (Build 10815)
That's very interesting, as it seems to be a new product different from the previous SE (Starter Edition) of MultiCharts .NET.

For those who were also surprised, it is announced here with more information on AMP's site.
Although it is possible to replay market data, I don't think it is possible to actually SIM trade (buy & sell) with that data since all orders are executed based on the current data/time.
That's correct, that is indeed not possible.
And dont count on MC for TWS being around for too long. They have axed the free products on a management-whim 2 times before (despite stating it would be around"forever").
According to AMP:
This is not an introductory offer. AMP has signed a 5 year Enterprise license with MultiCharts. This is how we are able to offer this to our customers for FREE.
Source. It looks like this 'free' edition might be around longer since it's paid for by AMP.

MaRCHeW

Postby MaRCHeW » 09 Mar 2015

Hi :)
According to AMP:
This is not an introductory offer. AMP has signed a 5 year Enterprise license with MultiCharts. This is how we are able to offer this to our customers for FREE.
Source. It looks like this 'free' edition might be around longer since it's paid for by AMP.
Henry, could you tell us something more about MultiCharts enterprise license or give a link to that information?

Regards
MaRCHeW

Dave Masalov

Re: Making the change from NT to .NET Special Edition

Postby Dave Masalov » 10 Mar 2015

Hello MaRCHeW,

AMP Futures can offer the new product for at least 5 years if they are interested in it business-wise.

Alex MultiCharts

Re: Making the change from NT to .NET Special Edition  [SOLVED]

Postby Alex MultiCharts » 12 Mar 2015

That's very interesting, as it seems to be a new product different from the previous SE (Starter Edition) of MultiCharts .NET.
With MultiCharts .NET Special Edition, that is free with AMP Futures you get the full version of MultiCharts .NET, but with only CQG, Rithmic and TT data providers and brokers. Also, the regular version is not available, only .NET version.

MultiCharts .NET Special Edition is provided for their customers by AMP and first tier support for the Special Edition is executed by AMP.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”