Ability to copy/paste charts between workspaces is critical

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jek

Ability to copy/paste charts between workspaces is critical

Postby jek » 09 Mar 2007

This item is mentioned in the feature poll but I would like to get a sense of what other people think.

In using MultiCharts, I have found the single biggest productivity issue is configuring a chart window over and over again. It is true that the study parameters can be saved to a template and applied to a new chart, but the set of symbols and all of the settings for the windows are not saved. Also, it may be that I need a specific set of parameters to be cpied and would end up creating a large number of templates to handle that. With a copy/paste of the window that gets all settings, I effectively make every window into a template.

If you agree on this being one of the most important improvements, please reply to this post.

MC, would you mind adding it as an item in your poll so that people can vote for it?

Thanks.

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2007

MC will have detachable chart windows. THis makes copy and paste chart not needed.

jek

Postby jek » 09 Mar 2007

MC will have detachable chart windows. THis makes copy and paste chart not needed.
That is a help but not a replacement. I still can't copy all of the display settings into another window in another workspace, I'll bet.

Postby Guest » 09 Mar 2007

I agree. I have found it time consuming as well. The templates are find, but after I apply the template I still need to go throug the chart and set the x & y axis color and font, as well as select the info I would like to use in the status window.

YOU are not alone on this one. It seems like it would be an easy issue to correct. But I could be wrong, I'm no programer lol

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 10 Mar 2007

Dear Sirs,

The ability to copy/paste charts between workspaces is almost ready. It will be included in one of the next versions.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 11 Mar 2007

Excellent news! This will be a BIG help.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 02 Apr 2007

The ability to copy/paste charts between workspaces is almost ready.
I'm still very much looking forward to this, and I hope it arrives soon To copy and paste a chart is so much a part of my workflow in so many different trading-related programs that not to be able to do it is like stepping in a hole every few yards while walking between home and the library!

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 04 Jun 2007

The ability to copy/paste charts between workspaces is almost ready. It will be included in one of the next versions.
So, is this ability in the 2.1 Beta?

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 04 Jun 2007

Doesn't look like it. I could have used this feature recently when MC wasted all my open workspaces.

Perhaps a workspace backup might be a useful feaure as well?

Kate

Postby Kate » 04 Jun 2007

Yes, coping/pasting is available in the new beta.

Kate

Doesn't look like it. I could have used this feature recently when MC wasted all my open workspaces.
Could you specify how MultiCharts wasted your workspaces? And what do you mean by saying that "it doesn't look like it"?

Kate

Could you specify how MultiCharts wasted your workspaces? And what do you mean by saying that "it doesn't look like it"?

Nick

Postby Nick » 04 Jun 2007

Chart templates can help with what you are doing. There are a few properties that aren't saved in the template that should be but apart from that it works OK.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 04 Jun 2007

Ah, great news! Would it be possible to post a screenshot of how it is done?

ybfjax

Postby ybfjax » 04 Jun 2007

Ah, great news! Would it be possible to post a screenshot of how it is done?
Yes. I right-clicked on a chart and I didn't see this option to "copy chart"

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 05 Jun 2007

Sorry, I was referring to "copy/paste of charts". I must use quote more.

Regarding my corrupted workspaces, this is what happened:

I was importing some forex data via QuoteManager using the ASCII mapping. I created one new chart with the data successfully and it all looked ok.

I then tried creating some charts in some other workspaces with the same data, same date range, interval etc. but the data never arrived.

I left it for a while and when I came back, after around 10 minutes, there was an error message which went along the lines that QuoteManager was trying to use RPC and had a problem and it was going to restart the system in so many seconds. Without any option to cancel it! I didn't get the chance to do anything before it shutdown.

After reloading, I went back into MC and all my workspaces had charts that wouldn't display properly. Also, the positions had all changed. Instead of the structured layout I had they were all just stacked up.

The chart windows that didn't display properly were basically empty windows which just showed what was underneath. Similar to what you sometimes get when an application hangs. You could move them around though but nothing else except delete them.

I would have contacted support except it was over the weekend. In the end I recreated all the workspaces and it's been alright since. Although I have given up on the imported data.

Hope that makes sense although I dare say there probably isn't enough to go on unless I can recreate the original hang.
Last edited by sparkz on 05 Jun 2007, edited 1 time in total.

Kate

Postby Kate » 05 Jun 2007

Yes. I right-clicked on a chart and I didn't see this option to "copy chart"
Josh,

Please go to File->Copy window, then create another workspace and paste this window (File->Paste), or you can use Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 05 Jun 2007

Please go to File->Copy window, then create another workspace and paste this window (File->Paste), or you can use Ctrl+Shift+C and Ctrl+Shift+V.
Is the implication here that one cannot copy a window within the same workspace?

I hope not ...

We need to be able to copy any window, completely, and paste it anywhere.

Can this be done?

Postby Guest » 05 Jun 2007

when MC implements detachable windows, this copy problem will be S-O-L-V-E-D !

Kate

Postby Kate » 07 Jun 2007

Is the implication here that one cannot copy a window within the same workspace?

I hope not ...

We need to be able to copy any window, completely, and paste it anywhere.

Can this be done?
Yes, you can copy any window and paste it wherever you want.

Return to “MultiCharts”