Plotting a spread between NK in OSE and NK on SGX

Studies that have been contributed to the community by other users. If you’ve got something useful to share, that’s great!

Plotting a spread between NK in OSE and NK on SGX

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2006

hi
I would like to plot the 2 symbols on 1 chart and plot a spread on these 2 instruments.

But 1 is traded in OSE and 1 is traded in SGX.

Even though for majority of the trading day they are traded simultaneously at the same time.

But MC does not align them when i plot them on the same chart.

Can this be done ?

thanks

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 19 Jul 2006

This task is actually creating a synthetic symbol; this is not currently supported in MultiCharts, but is considered for implementation in the future.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Jul 2006

This is the PowerLanguage code for an indicator that creates a spread between two symbols; use the settings as shown in the screenshot to see the single emulated price data line of the "synthetic symbol"

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2006

This is the PowerLanguage code for an indicator that creates a spread between two symbols; use the settings as shown in the screenshot to see the single emulated price data line of the "synthetic symbol"
Got it.. thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 04 Apr 2007

Dear TJ,

Use the indicator attached. Inputs - are symbols' weights in decimals. The indicator works with two data series.
Attachments
CompSymbol.xml
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

synonym

Synthetic symbols and Spread Charts

Postby synonym » 12 Jun 2009

Hi Folks
i've had a look around on the MC forum and there are very few posts about spreadcharting and synthetic symbols.

I want to be able to chart spreads on close. Obviously creating a chart is no problem if the spread data is available from your data provider. However, if the particular spread you want to chart is not then i assume that the only want to do this in MC is to create a synthetic symbol. Am i right?

I found this post with the useful-looking indicator attached. I'm a real coding novice and can do virtually nothing in code. I was wondering if anyone else out there had adapted and improved this indicator or written another indicator to help chart spreads? Something that can handle more than two parent symbols would be useful, for charting things like crack spreads.

I wait in hope...
Syn

TJ

Re: Synthetic symbols and Spread Charts

Postby TJ » 12 Jun 2009

... Obviously creating a chart is no problem if the spread data is available from your data provider...
I wait in hope...
Syn

if the symbol is not available from your dataprovider, then you have to create a symbol manually, and enter the data into it manually.

You can do that through QuoteManager.

synonym

Postby synonym » 17 Jun 2009

Thanks TJ, i'll give it a look.
Syn

synonym

Postby synonym » 02 Jul 2009

Dear TJ,

Use the indicator attached. Inputs - are symbols' weights in decimals. The indicator works with two data series.
Hi Andrew
My aim is to chart the differential between two symbols in a line on close chart. To do this i weight the first symbol as 1.00 and the second symbol as -1.00.
But how can i plot just a line chart of the close rather than a candle chart. Can you help please.
Thanks
Syn

synonym

Hi Andrew
My aim is to chart the differential between two symbols in a line on close chart. To do this i weight the first symbol as 1.00 and the second symbol as -1.00.
But how can i plot just a line chart of the close rather than a candle chart. Can you help please.
Thanks
Syn
Hi again
i've amended the coding and got it to plot a line on close. I'm sure my coding isn't that tidy, but it works.
Syn

synonym

Dear TJ,

Hi Andrew,
i solved my last problem myself, but i need your (or someone else's) help on this one.

As you can see from my last post, i now have a line on close chart of the spread between two symbols. How can i base indicators on this, e.g a parabolic SAR, moving ave, etc.

Your help will be very much appreciated.
Syn

synonym

Postby synonym » 03 Jul 2009

Hi Andrew
i see that you are on the forum today. I just wanted to make sure that you had not seen my request for help. with regards to the problem of adding indicators to the composite symbol.
regards
Syn

synonym

Postby synonym » 09 Jul 2009

Hello...i got the impression that staff at Multicharts regularly check this forum and the posts on it? If so, will someone actually answer my enquiry...
Synonym

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Jul 2009

Synonym,
Sorry that we missed this topic. The next time use our phone and live chart support, because forum is the lowest priority support source.

Let me explain how to use an indicator on an indicator.
I will use a moving average as an example. To plot an indicator on an indicator you should basically replace base data series with the function.
For example Moving average is Average(close,10). It means that Close is the data series.
So if you want to apply the moving average to the indicator instead of price data series (Close) you should replace it with your function.

So your indicator should look like this:
Plot1(Average(YourCustomSpreadFunction,10),"ind");
Where YourCustomSpreadFunction is a function that calculates the difference of two data streams.

synonym

Hi Andrew
thanks for your reply. I would usually ring you, but it's not been that convenient for me to do so over the past week or so and thought i'd try posting whilst i was unable to get to contact you.

Anyway, i'm a real coding novice, but i'll play around with what you have suggested and if i get nowhere then i'll ring your team.
cheers
Syn

synonym

Hi
I'm having trouble doing as you have suggested. As i mentioned i only want a line chart based on the close (not the range) of differential between two symbols. I then want to add a Parabolic SAR to this. From your suggestion Andrew there is not enough info for me to do this (as i mentioned, i'm a real coding novice!).
I am unable to ring your team to discuss this now. I will be able to do so tomorrow. I was thinking that perhaps your team could be looking at this in the meantime so that you can have the answer for me when i contact you tomorrow. Now that would be really great!
thanks
Syn

Return to “User Contributed Studies and Indicator Library”