Microsoft introduces free Visual Studio Community Edition

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
ABC

Microsoft introduces free Visual Studio Community Edition

Postby ABC » 17 Nov 2014

Microsoft basically made the Professional edition of Visual Studio available for free for individual developers (or small companies):

http://www.visualstudio.com/products/vi ... mmunity-vs

Regards,
ABC

MaRCHeW

Re: Microsoft introduces free Visual Studio Community Editio

Postby MaRCHeW » 01 Sep 2015

Hi,

Does MultiCharts .NET 9.1 will be support the Visual Studio 2015 Community?

Regards
MaRCHeW

jwebster503

Postby jwebster503 » 02 Sep 2015

I have MC.Net 9.0 build 10761 (not the latest), and it seems to work as well with VS Community 2015 (VSC2015) as it did with VS Pro 2013. Here's what I know works:
  • PowerLanguage.Net Editor opens a project when you click on Launch VS 2010
  • If you attach VSC2015 to Multicharts64.exe (this IS the .NET version...), you can hit breakpoints and otherwise fully debug in VSC2015.
  • If you set Multicharts64.exe as the project startup, when you run the project in VSC2015, it will start an instance of MC which you can debug.
  • If you rebuild the project in VSC2015, MC will automatically reload affected studies
There are a few lingering issues, but these existed in VSPro2013...
  • The freshly-opened project in VSC2015 has two bad references which must be deleted -- System (System.dll also exists and is OK) and System.Core.dll (System.Core also exists and is OK -- yes, the presence or absence of the .dll is opposite!)
  • The Platform Target must be manually changed from Any CPU to x64 to be in alignment with PLDataLoader.dll and PLStudiesProxy.dll
Being a power user of VS for the last 10 years, I have to say it is incredible that this family of software is being made available for free. The learning curve can be steep at times, but I fully recommend anyone and everyone who is writing their code in PowerLanguage.NET Editor switch -- before you know it, you'll be over the hurdles, and be in a much better place. Good luck!

Jeff

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 03 Sep 2015

Hi there,

Decided to try this out. It seemed to work but I cannot create a new file in the PL.net editor and have that show up in the VSC2015 project. I've did recompile all from within PL.net editor after adding the new file. Any ideas?

With kind regards,
MK

MaRCHeW

Postby MaRCHeW » 03 Sep 2015

Hi,

VS 2010 is obsolete. IMHO is a higher time to change this situation and make adaptation for VS 2013 and VS 2015 in nearest version of MC .NET.

Regards
MaRCHeW

jwebster503

Postby jwebster503 » 03 Sep 2015

Hi there,

Decided to try this out. It seemed to work but I cannot create a new file in the PL.net editor and have that show up in the VSC2015 project. I've did recompile all from within PL.net editor after adding the new file. Any ideas?

With kind regards,
MK
Not sure about your exact situation, but one thing to keep in mind is that Visual Studio is not allowed to touch the "real" solution -- PL Editor.NET creates a copy and then launches VS using the copy. Closing VS, and having PL Editor.NET launch VS again may work.

I have also had it work where I create a new file in VS with a name following the pattern <NAME>.[Indicator|Strategy|Function].CS which triggers PL Editor.NET to recognize a new Indicator/Strategy/Function and create it for you. For example, creating a new file in VS called "Foo.Indicator.CS" and then building the solution should trigger a "Foo" indicator to be created back in PL Editor.NET.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”