ATTENTION IB USERS

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Dave Masalov

ATTENTION IB USERS

Postby Dave Masalov » 12 May 2014

Dear Users,

New CME API requirements has been incorporated into Interactive Brokers TWS.

Because of this, all clients using API feeds need to upgrade to the latest build of the standalone version of the Trader Workstation available from IB website: http://individuals.interactivebrokers.c ... entity=llc

MultiCharts will not work correctly with any other IB TWS standalone version or any web-based TWS version.

MultiCharts Team

Henry MultiСharts

Re: ATTENTION IB USERS

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Jul 2014

If you have 2 hours of historical data missing on your IB charts - the reason is the new Java 7, 60/65 Update.

Please close MultiCharts and TWS -> downgrade Java to ver 7 Update 55.
Here is how to do that:
1) Uninstall Java:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml
2) Download the java version according to your OS version from this page
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 55-oth-JPR
or one of these two:
32 bit: http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=14636?download
64 bit: http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=14645?download
3) Install the downloaded Java 7 update 55.
4) Reboot your PC if required
5) Start MultiCharts and TWS
6) Reload the charts with the gaps (View tab->Reload) in MultiCharts and the issue should be resolved.

janus

Postby janus » 23 Jul 2014

Note that Java 8 tentatively has been released so perhaps it's not worth worrying about trying to get MC to work with Java 7 u65 and instead wait and see when Java 8 is released fully and stable.

See https://java.com/en/download/faq/java8.xml

janus

Postby janus » 01 Aug 2014

If you have 2 hours of historical data missing on your IB charts - the reason is the new Java 7, 60/65 Update.
So, does the recent MultiCharts 8.8 Release 5 minor upgrade fix this Java issue? After applying it can we use the latest Java 7? Thanks.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 03 Aug 2014

So, does the recent MultiCharts 8.8 Release 5 minor upgrade fix this Java issue? After applying it can we use the latest Java 7? Thanks.
It looks so:
BUGS FIXED:

• Missing portions historical data from Interactive Brokers when using Java 1.7.0_60 or higher.
Source: MultiCharts 8.8 Release 5.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Aug 2014

IB has implemented a solution in TWS for the missing data issue. In order to resolve the issue please update your TWS to the latest version. All builds, including stable and latest TWS standalone, as well as all web-based builds (Latest, Stable and Beta), are now refreshed with the missing data (timezone) fix. After the update of TWS is done you need to reload the chart with the missing data in MultiCharts (View tab-> Reload). Please disregard the "old" release dates on IB website, they have not been updated as the main build number remains unchanged.

arnie

Postby arnie » 15 Sep 2014

Can we update to the latest Java version?
My TWS is consuming almost 700mb of ram and IB support said to update Java to latest version that it will return back to the 300ish mb.

I'm on v9 beta3.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Sep 2014

Can we update to the latest Java version? My TWS is consuming almost 700mb of ram and IB support said to update Java to latest version that it will return back to the 300ish mb. I'm on v9 beta3.
arnie, you can update Java if you are using the latest version of TWS (issued 05 Aug 2014 or later).

arnie

Postby arnie » 16 Sep 2014

Amazingly, after updating Java and TWS I got even higher memory usage. Now TWS is using almost 700mb.

Here is the reply from IB support for my latest inquiry:
The TWS is a Java application and the Java Virtual machine, upon startup, allocates a certain amount of memory defined in the TWS launch line (parameter -Xmx). It is not said that the TWS will fill all the memory allocated. Therefore you can throttle the amount of memory allocated by Java on the launch line in this way:

1) Right click on the shortcut "Trader Workstation 4.0" on your Desktop.

2) Select "Properties". In the tab "Shortcut" put the cursor in the "Target" line . Do not highlight the text, just click on the field to have the blinking cursor. Then with the arrows on the keyboard move towards the end of the line. You will see the parameters:
Xmx768M

If you want, let's say allocate only 512Mb for Java, then please change that parameter to Xmx512M

Be sure not to modify anything else, including the spaces or punctuation. Please be aware that reducing the memory allocated by Java might lead to errors or application crashes.

3) Then click on Apply and OK.

If you want to monitor precisely the memory used and not only the allocated you can install the Java SDK which contain a tool called Java VisualVM which allows you to see the details of memory usage for a specific Java process.
Has anyone tested this before?
Have you noticed any problems?
I have 1024mb allocated by default.

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 16 Sep 2014

I have repeated this again and again...

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Unless you need the new functionalities in the new TWS, otherwise stay with the oldest working copy.

...same goes with Java.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 02 Nov 2014

Amazingly, after updating Java and TWS I got even higher memory usage. Now TWS is using almost 700mb.

Here is the reply from IB support for my latest inquiry:
The TWS is a Java application and the Java Virtual machine, upon startup, allocates a certain amount of memory defined in the TWS launch line (parameter -Xmx). It is not said that the TWS will fill all the memory allocated. Therefore you can throttle the amount of memory allocated by Java on the launch line in this way:

1) Right click on the shortcut "Trader Workstation 4.0" on your Desktop.

2) Select "Properties". In the tab "Shortcut" put the cursor in the "Target" line . Do not highlight the text, just click on the field to have the blinking cursor. Then with the arrows on the keyboard move towards the end of the line. You will see the parameters:
Xmx768M

If you want, let's say allocate only 512Mb for Java, then please change that parameter to Xmx512M

Be sure not to modify anything else, including the spaces or punctuation. Please be aware that reducing the memory allocated by Java might lead to errors or application crashes.

3) Then click on Apply and OK.

If you want to monitor precisely the memory used and not only the allocated you can install the Java SDK which contain a tool called Java VisualVM which allows you to see the details of memory usage for a specific Java process.
Has anyone tested this before?
Have you noticed any problems?
I have 1024mb allocated by default.

Thanks
Arnie, Did you manage to solve this issue? I have 768M by default and my TWS (latest version) runs fine with Java7u55 version on my machine.

Maybe if you have still not managed to solve this issue, downgrading to Java 7u55 might help. I am using 32 bit MC 9.

arnie

Postby arnie » 02 Nov 2014

Arnie, Did you manage to solve this issue? I have 768M by default and my TWS (latest version) runs fine with Java7u55 version on my machine.

Maybe if you have still not managed to solve this issue, downgrading to Java 7u55 might help. I am using 32 bit MC 9.
I set the memory to 512mb and it has been running fine.
Memory has been steady at 600mb which I continue to think is way too much when the only thing I'm retrieving from it is the DOM data that feeds MC's DOM and nothing else.

TWS alone is consuming twice the memory MC is consuming.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 02 Nov 2014

I set the memory to 512mb and it has been running fine.
Memory has been steady at 600mb which I continue to think is way too much when the only thing I'm retrieving from it is the DOM data that feeds MC's DOM and nothing else.

TWS alone is consuming twice the memory MC is consuming.
Interesting that you put the memory limit at 512 mb still TWS managed to keep running while using 600 mb without a crash!

If you are just feeding MC DOM from IB DOM, 600 mb sounds way too much. Once markets open, I will test on my machine. Can you tell me which symbol you are using? I guess if you downgrade to Java 7u55, TWS memory consumption will come down. In any case, I will see tomorrow in live markets.

arnie

Postby arnie » 02 Nov 2014

Interesting that you put the memory limit at 512 mb still TWS managed to keep running while using 600 mb without a crash!

If you are just feeding MC DOM from IB DOM, 600 mb sounds way too much. Once markets open, I will test on my machine. Can you tell me which symbol you are using? I guess if you downgrade to Java 7u55, TWS memory consumption will come down. In any case, I will see tomorrow in live markets.

I'm only following ES but even if I add another symbol, ZS, it don't change the memory usage. Stays around 600mb

Actually, according to IB support, eveytime TWS start to use way too much memory one should upgrade the Java to the latest version and of course, update TWS also to the latest version.
In fact, I did this for a previous TWS version, don't remember which but I remember that it solved the problem. I remember I had TWS running above 800mb and when I updated the Java it lowered the memory usage to around 500mb.

But this time when I updated Java and TWS there was no difference.
If using the Gateway memory usage stays below 400mb but we have no way to manage orders if for some reason MC gets locked down. That's why I like to have TWS open, for precaution.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 03 Nov 2014

Hi Arnie,
Following is with MC 9.0 32 bit, on a windows 7 64 bit machine. 2.4Ghz processor, Intel Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM.
IB TWS Version Build 946.2h, Jul 31, 2014 11:21:55 AM
Java Version: 1.7.0_55, OS: Windows 7 (x86, 6.1), Memory: heap max 742Mb, current 111Mb; permgen max 128Mb, current 69Mb

First screenshot has TWS open with 3 DOM windows. MC is closed now.

Second screenshot has TWS open with 3 DOM windows. MC also open. Only thing open in MC is these 3 DOM windows. Tickers are ES, NQ and YM for december.

TWS Memory case I: 355MB
TWS Memory case II: 357MB

I think its pretty clear:
1) Either there is a problem with MC 9 64 bit version. I think probability of this is very very small.
2) Most likely, the problem is with your TWS version or your JAVA version.

I think you should downgrade to Java 55 and compare.

Case I

Case II
Attachments
3 DOMs_TWS_3_DOMs_MC_Memory.png
(224.05 KiB) Downloaded 2905 times
3 DOMs_TWS_Memory.png
(204.19 KiB) Downloaded 2905 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 03 Nov 2014

Hi Arnie,
Following is with MC 9.0 32 bit, on a windows 7 64 bit machine. 2.4Ghz processor, Intel Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM.
Java Version: 1.7.0_55, OS: Windows 7 (x86, 6.1), Memory: heap max 742Mb, current 111Mb; permgen max 128Mb, current 69Mb

First screenshot has TWS open with 3 DOM windows. MC is closed now.

Second screenshot has TWS open with 3 DOM windows. MC also open. Only thing open in MC is these 3 DOM windows. Tickers are ES, NQ and YM for december.

TWS Memory case I: 355MB
TWS Memory case II: 357MB

1) Either there is a problem with MC 9 64 bit version. I think probability of this is very very small.

I really don't know what to say.
Let me give you an example, when I open MC the TWS login windows pops up and that window alone is using almost 400mb of memory.

Today has been using a little below 600mb but it's like this because I limited it to 512mb otherwise would be between 700 and 800mb

A couple of months ago I reinstall everything on my PC and the problem continued to be the same :(
Attachments
twsmem02.png
(23.59 KiB) Downloaded 2903 times

hilbert

I suggest following steps:
1) Downgrade to Java 55 and see if it changes your TWS memory
2) If it doesn't, then 2nd step is to downgrade to my TWS version. Its from Aug 2014, so its not very old. So, unless you absolutely need the most recent TWS version, you would be fine.

I am hopeful if you do above two steps, your TWS memory problems will resolve.

hilbert

If you open TWS only (with MC closed and all its processes closed), how much memory does TWS use? If still it uses like 600 MB, then the problem is with TWS version or Java.

If with MC closed, TWS uses like 350MB, then problem is with MC9 64 bit.

arnie

If you open TWS only (with MC closed and all its processes closed), how much memory does TWS use? If still it uses like 600 MB, then the problem is with TWS version or Java.

If with MC closed, TWS uses like 350MB, then problem is with MC9 64 bit.

Good question.
Now that I think about it I think I never opened TWS without also opening MC, at least after noticing how high was its memory usage.

I'll test it.
I also gonna test the new Java 8.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Nov 2014

are you using 64 bit Java?

arnie

are you using 64 bit Java?
According to IB support I should install both versions the 32 and 64bit but didn't noticed any difference

But yes, at the moment I only have the 64bit version

arnie

OK, just installed latest TWS version (build 946.2q), installed latest Java (8_25) 32bit and this thing is now at the "normal" 350mb memory usage

Thanks hilbert for your help
Attachments
twsmem03.png
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 3055 times

thutch

Postby thutch » 07 Sep 2015

Hi Arnie and others,

Reopening this thread as I have a Java memory hogging problem and have not been able to solve it despite the tips in this post. It's generally uses between 1-1.5GB. I gather it should be less than half of this.

I'm using the latest MC-64 bit release (9.0 build 11210, using two Desktops) and the latest TWS release (948.3C). I also just upgraded Java to the latest (Version 8, update 60) - no improvement.

Attached a screenshot. Can anyone help?

thank you
Tom
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 20.19.51.png
(22.4 KiB) Downloaded 2493 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Sep 2015

Hi Arnie and others,

Reopening this thread as I have a Java memory hogging problem and have not been able to solve it despite the tips in this post. It's generally uses between 1-1.5GB. I gather it should be less than half of this.

I'm using the latest MC-64 bit release (9.0 build 11210, using two Desktops) and the latest TWS release (948.3C). I also just upgraded Java to the latest (Version 8, update 60) - no improvement.

Attached a screenshot. Can anyone help?

thank you
Tom

For sure something is off there. That is way too much memory usage.
How many symbols are you following within TWS?

Unfortunately I cannot say much more since I closed my IB account and moved to another broker.

thutch

Postby thutch » 07 Sep 2015

Unfortunately I cannot say much more since I closed my IB account and moved to another broker.
About 40 symbols. Mostly Spot FX pairs.

The usage barely reduces when MC is shut down, so its a TWS / Java issue of some kind.
Last edited by thutch on 07 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Sep 2015

About 40 symbols. Mostly Spot FX pairs.

Have you tested only having 1 symbol and see how much memory is being used?

thutch

Postby thutch » 08 Sep 2015

I will have to try that, though I doubt that is the culprit.

I tried playing with the Java settings. I had a large max size for Java which I reduced. However TWS is still hogging just over 1GB.

Any further ideas welcome...

no erocla

Postby no erocla » 08 Sep 2015

I noticed that ram usage is strictly correlated to mc data stored, so use data range "bars back" option and try to limit this value lower as possible:

https://gyazo.com/bc529bafbae419407ed31b028d47e207

So you will stop ram usage growing up.

thutch

Postby thutch » 08 Sep 2015

I noticed that ram usage is strictly correlated to mc data stored, so use data range "bars back" option and try to limit this value lower as possible:

https://gyazo.com/bc529bafbae419407ed31b028d47e207

So you will stop ram usage growing up.
While it is true that I do use a lot of MC charts and have 2 Desktops / MC instances, I find that the Java's RAM usage does not change when I shut MC.

The culprit is IB's TWS in some way...

SP

Postby SP » 08 Sep 2015

Did you try to reduce the xPermSize with

C:\Windows\syswow64\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;total.2012.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dswing.boldMetal=false -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts

thutch

Postby thutch » 09 Sep 2015

Did you try to reduce the xPermSize with

C:\Windows\syswow64\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;total.2012.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dswing.boldMetal=false -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M jclient/LoginFrame C:\Jts
I could not find the place to set those on my system (different config to yours) but did it in TWSStart where they are easily specified as Java throttles. Weirdly, it made no difference.

thanks

Return to “MultiCharts”