Sugestion for making Drawing tools Laptop friendly

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Nick

Sugestion for making Drawing tools Laptop friendly

Postby Nick » 17 Apr 2007

Hi there,

When you re-work the drawing tools I think it would be much easier for a laptop user (actually all users) if you simply left clicked to place anchor points rather than using click and drag.

While you are at it it when in drawing mode right click should cancel/remove the last point.

User Interface design is something that is a real art and makes a huge difference to how easy/comfortable/fun software is to use. It is worth spending some time concidering.

Currently it requires two hands on a laptop for click and drag which means I have to put down my sandwich, book, TV remote or whatever :)

Cheers,
Nick.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Apr 2007

Hi Nick,
Currently it requires two hands on a laptop for click and drag
Are you using Touchpad or what on your notebook?

If so what exactly is problem. It is pretty easy to touch it to "click down" and then move the finger to drag the cursor as far as I see.

Nick

Postby Nick » 22 Apr 2007

I am using a touchpad though really that is not the point

My point is that it woud be a superior design to use a single click to place anchor points. It is currently click hold and drag. This would allow a right click to cancel a point placed in error.

My 'problem' is that it is poorly designed - read my original post again. It requires two hands with a touchpad. It s not the best way to do it with a mouse. The way I am sugesting allows you to remove a point by right clicking too - superior design again. Get a laptop draw 100 lines (I probably draw close to that in a day on average) and come back to me if you still think its the best way of doing things.

Oh it dosent help that MC randomly sees a mouse up event if you use the mouse too quickly. So I have to find the drawing delete it and start over.

Cheers,
Nick.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Apr 2007

I am using a touchpad though really that is not the point

My point is that it woud be a superior design to use a single click to place anchor points. It is currently click hold and drag. This would allow a right click to cancel a point placed in error.

My 'problem' is that it is poorly designed - read my original post again. It requires two hands with a touchpad. It s not the best way to do it with a mouse. The way I am sugesting allows you to remove a point by right clicking too - superior design again. Get a laptop draw 100 lines (I probably draw close to that in a day on average) and come back to me if you still think its the best way of doing things.

Oh it dosent help that MC randomly sees a mouse up event if you use the mouse too quickly. So I have to find the drawing delete it and start over.

Cheers,
Nick.
are you referring to the drawing tools in ToS's chart ?

They have the B-E-S-T parallel line drawing tool.
(I do a lot of parallel lines !)

You click on the first point (no need to hold the click), then go to click on the second point... there, you have your trend line.
NOW, go to click on the 3rd point, and voila, a parallel line is created.

NO dragging.

That's Human interface at it's best !
Last edited by TJ on 26 Apr 2007, edited 2 times in total.

Nick

Postby Nick » 26 Apr 2007

Yes TJ thats the obvious way to do it though I m not familiar with that package.

Funnily enough the pitchfork tool in MC is click and drag for poinst 1 -> 2 nd then release and click for point 3. The method changes halfwway through drawing!!! (different again to the reglar parallel line tool). I wonder sometime if the 'designer' was on crack <grin>.

Cheers,
Nick

Return to “MultiCharts”