Display <Time Zone> vs. Session

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bensat

Display <Time Zone> vs. Session

Postby bensat » 26 Feb 2016

I'm trying to sync 2 symbols from different time zones in one chart only for the session of symbol data1. In this case I would like to sync Euro Bund Future (time zone CET on EUREX) as data1 & US T-Note Future (time zone UTC on CME) as data2. Further I would like to get shown the data for data2 for the session of data1 only.

As I know that 2 different time frames can not be displayed, I set the <Display: Time Zone> to 'local'. Now the trouble begins for me. To set both symbols with the EUREX session (remember timezone set to local .... my local as I understand) doesn't help :

Setting both symbols to 'default' as session doesn't help either :

Hmmm ... what's the solution when I want to compare different symbols of unequal time zones with the symbol in data 1 and this time zone ? I have to set a 'special customized' session for every and each symbol or exchange, calculated and adjusted in time zone etc.

Do I really want to do this for every single symbol ? Why the data shown in data 2 aren't just adjusted to data 1 when I have a 'local time zone' and a set session oriented to the session of data 1 ? It is sooooooo easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why so complicated ? Why ....... and what....... ?

Regards

Ben

TJ

Re: Display <Time Zone> vs. Session

Postby TJ » 26 Feb 2016

I'm trying to sync 2 symbols from different time zones in one chart only for the session of symbol data1.
::
Ben
You can make a Session Template, call it "CET", and use it for all symbols.

Go to QuoteManager,

Tools > Session Templates > Add

bensat

TJ, thank you for this suggestion. I already did it as you can see in the last of the 3 charts. The disadvantage is, if you have several symbols from exchanges in different time zones, you have to add several new sessions for these symbols. Not only that you have to know sessions & exchanges for each of this symbol.

With clock adjustments it's even more worse twice a year. I don't see any advantage in these manuall adjustments compared to adjusting the time in data 2 to the time in data 1 automatically. You just would have to measure time difference, from the settings of each symbol, and adjust it automatically instead of changing it for (worst case) for every symbol.

Regards.

Ben

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Feb 2016

TJ, thank you for this suggestion. I already did it as you can see in the last of the 3 charts. The disadvantage is, if you have several symbols from exchanges in different time zones, you have to add several new sessions for these symbols. Not only that you have to know sessions & exchanges for each of this symbol.
::
Ben
I know exactly what you mean.
You have a misunderstanding.

You don't have to make different session template for each symbol.
Just one template -- You can apply the same template to any symbol you want.

Please follow the instruction.

What you are trying to do is not new or groundbreaking. Thousands of traders ahead of you have the same requirement.

bensat

TJ ... I am pretty sure and aware that 'Thousands of traders' have the same requirement. But your workaround for just one new session doesn't work, when you have different symbols in different time zones. You would have to make a session for each time zone and adjust the time to it ... Like a session for UST and a session for EST ... Compared to EUREX (CET) the session with data/symbol from CET timezone should be set with start 1am - end 3pm and for EST the session would start with 2am - end with 4pm ... so every time zone would need a different session.

That's the problem ...

arnie

Postby arnie » 26 Feb 2016

What's the problem in creating session templates? They give you all the freedom you need to create your own session times, facilitating the way you manage each session.
You create the sessions you want for each exchange and that's it. Sure, it's a pain in the butt to create them, do all the math when doing what you want to do but once done, that's it, you no longer have to worry about it.

The idea of automatically set data2 session based on data1 is not a practical one because of how sessions can be a very personal setting for each trader. Just look at what you trying to do, it's your personal view.

It makes perfect sense to set data2 time zone automatically based on data1 because it was an hassle everytime we wanted to add a different time zone symbol but change the session template, personally I wouldn't like to see that implemented.

For example, I created a dozen session templates for US equities and another dozen for US treasuries. Some to give me only Globex, others only pit, since treasuries open at 7:20 it messes up with the market profile calculations so I created a session that deal with that first 10 minute pit session. I have another one that separate the full day in 3 different sessions which allow us to "play" with the bars and the charts resolution
You're limited only by your imagination here :)

Return to “MultiCharts”