IB data is excruciatingly slow to load!!

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jock_strap

IB data is excruciatingly slow to load!!

Postby jock_strap » 27 Apr 2007

Hi

When will this issue be resolved once and for all?

I'm using IB data to create constant volume charts and am loading 90days worth.

So far it has taken nearly 2 hrs and it's only past half way through.

It's basically unusable!

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2007

I have the same freaking problem too !!!!!

I have 4 workspaces with total 12 charts to load every morning.
They are a mixture of Day and minute charts.
( no ticks, no vol charts )
On top of that, i make sure i backfill from IB history the day before so that data is up to Date.

YET IT TAKES ME AT LEAST 20 minutes to load every morning !!!!!

How can plain loading from local database be so damm slow ?

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2007

sometimes, just close the wsp and open it again, the chart will come up quickly.

I don't know why, but it worked for me a few times.

mojotrader

Postby mojotrader » 28 Apr 2007

I believe the problem is with the way IB throttles access to their historical database, not MC.

Essentially you get what you pay for. I began using MC with IB but wasn't pleased with the slow backfill times as well so I ended up with DTN/IQFeed. It's $100/month for the e-mini and it take just a few seconds to backfill MC charts, and you get true tick data. IB aggregates their ticks into .2-.3 second snapshots.

Also, if you need months of backfill, check out opentick.com. DTN only provide a few days of tick backfill. To get around the problem I used the opentick.com API to download and import missing tick data into MC.

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2007

On top of that, i make sure i backfill from IB history the day before so that data is up to Date.

For those that mentioned about IB's throttling issue....
Please note that as i mentioned, that i have already backfill the day before..... so my data is up to date.

MC is just taking a long time to load from its local database.

Kate

Postby Kate » 30 Apr 2007

MultiCharts can load data from the local database fast enough, but it seems to be working slowly because so far it won't display the data before it downloads all the missing data from the moment MultiCharts was closed up to the current moment, however when it requests data from IB there may occur "IB pacing violation" and it has to wait. As I wrote in previous topics, in future versions MultiCharts will display data as soon as it receives this data and then it will download the rest of the data in the "background mode", but you will be able to work with charts straightaway.

Postby Guest » 30 Apr 2007

For those that mentioned about IB's throttling issue....
Please note that as i mentioned, that i have already backfill the day before..... so my data is up to date.

MC is just taking a long time to load from its local database.
As i mentioned for the THIRD TIME.....

I have already downloaded the all required data the previous day... so data is up to date.

All MC needs to do is to load everything from local database.. but it is taking 20mins just to load 4 workspaces with total 12 charts (minute and Day interval ) on STARTUP !!!

This has NOTHING to do with IB's throttling !!!
Stop using IB as the excuse !!!

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 02 May 2007

This may have no bearing on the IB situation but it may be worth checking if you haven't already done so.

I'm using eSignal and had terrible load times like 30 mins for my charts. I didn't think my virus checker (F-Secure) could have so much impact but I turned it off to see what happened. My charts loaded in a few seconds!

Now I have to find a way of getting F-Secure to allow MC and eSignal to function without interruption.

Return to “MultiCharts”