The MC10 Win10 4k Display Implementation Q&A

Read before posting.
LRP

The MC10 Win10 4k Display Implementation Q&A

Postby LRP » 17 May 2016

Dear Community

Has anybody already experiences with 4k displays to run it on Multicharts 10?
I am interessted about some recomendation, especially about an ideal "big enough" size without the need to tweak the DPI.

I do like to consider an anti glare display from 24" to 40" like on this list: https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/producttyp ... Ids=77-624

Idea of hardware: i7 6500 /32GB RAM/ 256GB SSD on IGP at this board: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty ... ing-ITXac/

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and comments.

PD Quig

Any hardware gurus out there?

Postby PD Quig » 17 May 2016

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm kicking around using a large 4K TV as a monitor to replace my current multiple monitor arrangement and thought I'd see if anybody here has any inputs.

On a recent vacation I plugged my laptop into a friend's good quality 4K TV and opened up a six chart workspace. The laptop is an inexpensive Dell with an Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card which does not support HDMI 2.0. The HDMI cable was supplied by my friend, but I'm guessing that it was not HDMI 2.0 either. It is not my trading machine.

What I experienced was an unacceptable fuzziness including shadows / ghosts around bars and a lack of clarity. It was amazing to have all the charts I use arrayed on a curved screen where all I had to do was to move my eyes to scan charts--with maybe a slight turn of the head to scan from a chart on the far right to the far left. The image quality was a non-starter however.

Does anybody have any direct experience with using a 4K TV as a trading monitor? Or is anybody enough of a HW guru to tell me whether upgrading my video card and cable to an HDMI 2.0 would solve the shadow / ghost / clarity issues? I've read a lot of articles on the web, but am interested to hear from somebody with real world experience.

Thanks in advance.

-PDQ

Smoky

Re: The 4k Display Thread

Postby Smoky » 18 May 2016

You are right LRP when you have 4k screen(s) it's not to tweak DPI !

I use this hight resolution screens to have a lot of candlesticks on screen, many indicators and many charts at the same time .

Sorry for me, MC10 is not yet ready and optimized for 4K (for the moment ;) )

With high speed cpu OC + watercoled graphics cards, I have too much power and MC don't use this power :(

for exemple cpu usage never exceeds 20% loading workspaces and 8-10% on run

and all graphics usage are slow, ( move / refresh ) the worst : moving backward a chart, candlestick by candlestick.

I works with MC10 for autotrading with no graphics. May be someone use 4K screen to trade and i'll be happy to read answers. May be I just missing something...

4K not very important for me, i prefer high speed and reliable trade execution with my broker ;)

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Any hardware gurus out there?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 May 2016

What I experienced was an unacceptable fuzziness including shadows / ghosts around bars and a lack of clarity.
Hello PD Quig,

Did you have such display quality in all applications?
Were you using MultiCharts 10.0 Beta 1 for this test?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 May 2016

Hello Smoky,

Please describe the particular difficulties you had with using MultiCharts 10.0 on a 4k screen.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 19 May 2016

Henry,

I'm using 9.1 (Build 12587) with Windows 7 Professional. From long experience with MS, I haven't been willing to go to Windows 10 until it's well shaken out. Until now I saw no need to do so, but if MC's 4K graphics improvements are significant then maybe I'll build a Windows 10 test machine.

My "test" was definitely not exhaustive or systematic, but Excel, Word, and web browsing looked okay. This was just my first probe into the possibility of going to a single large TV / monitor instead of investing in a multiple monitor array.

Thanks.

-PDQ

CrazyNasdaq

Postby CrazyNasdaq » 19 May 2016

maybe I'm telling something that is obvious, but to reach the right performance and right display view for a 4K monitor or TV you have to use a graphic card which supports 4K display, not only a graphic card which has a hdmi port. If your software supports 4K resolution and your monitor/TV supports 4K resolution, in the middle you have to install a graphic card which supports 4K resolution and not all the graphic cards support UHD resolution even if they have a HDMI exit port.
GTX strix 970 and GTX strix 980 are those kind of graphic cards.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... p6veKQJXmA

http://www.computershopper.com/feature/ ... -4k-gaming

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 19 May 2016

Henry,

I'm using 9.1 (Build 12587) with Windows 7 Professional. From long experience with MS, I haven't been willing to go to Windows 10 until it's well shaken out. Until now I saw no need to do so, but if MC's 4K graphics improvements are significant then maybe I'll build a Windows 10 test machine.

My "test" was definitely not exhaustive or systematic, but Excel, Word, and web browsing looked okay. This was just my first probe into the possibility of going to a single large TV / monitor instead of investing in a multiple monitor array.

Thanks.

-PDQ
PD Quig, MultiCharts 10 can run on any windows version.
MultiCharts 9.1 does not support 4k screens and does not support custom DPI values (making Windows elements larger). That is why you got low display quality.
While MultiCharts 10.0 does support 4k screens and custom DPI values. Therefore you need to install MultiCharts 10.0 on any PC and test it on a 4k or any screen you are willing to try.
To get the best experience of custom DPI and 4k screen you need to run Windows 10 + MultiCharts 10.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 19 May 2016

On my PC I use 2 displayPort, but for TV screen HDMI would be HDMI 2.0 for 4k TV.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 19 May 2016

Hello Smoky,

Please describe the particular difficulties you had with using MultiCharts 10.0 on a 4k screen.
If you have time,
I'll show you tomorrow online ;)

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 19 May 2016

Thanks all. I have been researching GPUs. Not sure how much horsepower is necessary for charts vs. the demands of gaming (about which I know next to nothing except that it is obviously graphic intensive). I guess I try loading MC 10 Beta and see how things look.

LRP

Postby LRP » 20 May 2016

My priorities for a trading computer with MC10 and IB @4k Display:

Priority & Needs:
1. Reliable and stable (no overclock/tweaking, no WLAN)
2. Computer Power (CPU i7 6700, RAM 32GB, 256 GB SSHD/SSD)
3. 1-2 Displays (4k@60Hz needs DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 at Display & MoBo!)
4. Very quite system with small dimensions (Mirco-Tower or NUC Skull Canyon)
5. Energy saving (Graphic Power by IGP from CPU 6th Generation, no 3D Power needed!)

Proposal:
MoBo http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty ... ing-ITXac/
NUC http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... h-nuc.html

Just my 2 cents.

Any other suggestions?

THX
Last edited by LRP on 22 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 21 May 2016

Does for 4K help traders become more profitable or is it more of bragging rights? It is not like watching action movies. It is a chart with 4 data points OHLC. Don't get me wrong, how many different shades or pixels do you need for a 1M or 15M chart?
Even with a decent GPU, a large 4K TV as a monitor is cheaper, more flexible, and less complex HW-wise than a multi-monitor array. At any given moment I might want to glance at any one of the nine charts I use, or the large trades tape, or my brokerage UI. Clicking to hop between workspaces on my current 3 monitor layout--rather than shooting a quick glance--actually does impact results from time to time. Like when you have the "oh sh*t" moment where the short signal you just took on your 3R chart was only 7 ticks above the 10R 618 retracement and that's why the trade is going against you. I haven't upgraded HW in three years and with 4K rapidly improving and becoming a standard, it seems like a good time to consider the move for several pragmatic reasons.

LRP

Postby LRP » 23 May 2016

Does for 4K help traders become more profitable or is it more of bragging rights? It is not like watching action movies. It is a chart with 4 data points OHLC. Don't get me wrong, how many different shades or pixels do you need for a 1M or 15M chart?
Even with a decent GPU, a large 4K TV as a monitor is cheaper, more flexible, and less complex HW-wise than a multi-monitor array. At any given moment I might want to glance at any one of the nine charts I use, or the large trades tape, or my brokerage UI. Clicking to hop between workspaces on my current 3 monitor layout--rather than shooting a quick glance--actually does impact results from time to time. Like when you have the "oh sh*t" moment where the short signal you just took on your 3R chart was only 7 ticks above the 10R 618 retracement and that's why the trade is going against you. I haven't upgraded HW in three years and with 4K rapidly improving and becoming a standard, it seems like a good time to consider the move for several pragmatic reasons.
Make sure that 4k TV has an appropriate input (DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0) to get the display signal at least with 60Hz. Else, moving windows and mouse pointer would be very flickering!

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxvu7qf6rDw
have fun and happy trading... :-)

wzero

Postby wzero » 24 May 2016

I run MC 9 on 4K displays. I set Windows DPI scaling to 125%, It's necessary to disable DPI scaling for MC in its application compatibility setting, otherwise everything is blurred. Things are smaller on 4K display but you can set a larger font and bar size as you like.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 25 May 2016

Hello Smoky,

after our chat and teamviewer, here my workspace by email.

Many thanks for your work.

4trading

Re: The MC10 Win10 4k Display Implementation Q&A

Postby 4trading » 03 Dec 2016

So... is anyone using a 4K monitor and graphics card with Win 10 to report the 4K graphics compared to the old graphics regime of MC?

I already own MC, so the new 4K capability is more about buying new monitors and graphics cards.... or not.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 24 Feb 2017

So... is anyone using a 4K monitor and graphics card with Win 10 to report the 4K graphics compared to the old graphics regime of MC?
I am not using Win 10--because I was strongly discouraged from doing so by a support tech at Falcon. I'm paraphrasing, but he said, "After the first 100 repetitions of the same issues on trouble tickets, I would advise steering clear of Win 10." Enough said for me.

Over the last several weeks I finally finished putting all the pieces together for a new hardware solution:
  1. Samsung UN55KU6500FXZA (55" curved 4K TV)
    MSI Computer GTX 1050 TI 4GT LP Video Card
    FLEXIMOUNTS CR1 Curved Panel TV Wall Mount (for the TV)
    VideoSecu ML411B Adjustable Tilt Swivel Rotation TV Wall Mount Bracket (for the 24" monitor)
The hardware setup couldn't be simpler. I have only the one video card with 1) a HDMI 2.0 cable from the video card's HDMI output to the TV and 2) a DVI output to a second monitor. The large TV monitor has eight MultiCharts chart windows while the 2nd monitor displays my brokerage account client, two time & sales tickers, and one chart with an indicator from NT. Both monitors are wall-mounted and tilted downward.

I'm still running Win 7 Professional at 100% (no scaling). This is perfectly fine with my eyes about 3' from the screen (which is why I went with the curved monitor). Total cost including tax was $1,125.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ctu1121

4K Display

Postby ctu1121 » 14 Jan 2018

Hi,
Does Multicharts support 4K Display?

Charles

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 14 Feb 2018

Hi Charles,

I'm sorry to be tardy in responding. Yes, MultiCharts supports 4K. I'm still on version 10.0.14417 and it works fine.

PDQ

LRP

4K/UHD Monitors for actual MC + IB?

Postby LRP » 20 Apr 2018

Dear All

Does someone have experiences and/or a recommendation for an IDEAL/OPTIMAL bigger screen monitor without the need to tweak/scale windows?

For example: https://www.displayspecifications.com/d ... /5f211b164
or somethings else.

THX a lot for sharing.

sptrader

Re: 4K/UHD Monitors for actual MC + IB?

Postby sptrader » 20 Apr 2018

I'm looking for the same thing.
I currently use 3 24" Dell monitors and am planning to change to about a 43" which is the equivalent of the 3 24" without the bezels, so your size selection of 43" is correct. I plan to use a separate 24" for my broker screen.
I'm also looking for the best monitor for trading, I would like dvi input.
I know some use 43" TV's but we don't need to pay for a tuner if we just use it as a monitor but it might be an option.
I hope you get some good suggestions. I'll be watching too.
Good trading.

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Apr 2018

Today's TV are quite good. Good enough to use as a monitor. (with the appropriate distance for the size)

If you get a TV, make sure you get a true UHD TV, not interlaced.

LRP

Postby LRP » 20 Apr 2018

I'm looking for the same thing.
I'm also looking for the best monitor for trading, I would like dvi input.
As well, ensure to use a HDMI 2.0, Display Port or Thunderbolt connection to get full 4K/UHD at 60Hz!

LRP

Postby LRP » 20 Apr 2018

Today's TV are quite good. Good enough to use as a monitor. (with the appropriate distance for the size)

If you get a TV, make sure you get a true UHD TV, not interlaced.
Make sure in such case, you get a TV-set with “Chroma 4-4-4” in the specs!
Any experiences or recommendations for a TV-set?

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 20 Apr 2018

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49815

See my post, with 2 X 4k screen MC is not yet ready in graphic tools if you don't tweak win10 DPI...

not any change in MC, i ask for long time to manage all graphics tools with size from 1 to 32 or 1 to 64 ... (text, arrow, line, order name, ...)

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 21 Apr 2018

viewtopic.php?t=51318

Recently i post No 6

LRP

Postby LRP » 22 Apr 2018

Dear All
To choose the right TV-set as Monitor, this link might help as well: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ ... pc-monitor
Cheers, LRP

Return to “MultiCharts FAQ”