Oanda Feed "Error 429"  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
MidKnight

Oanda Feed "Error 429"

Postby MidKnight » 30 May 2016

Hi there,

Since last night I have been unable to chart any symbols. MC.net quote manager says its connecting to each symbol and requesting data but they all come back with "Error 429". I've never yet had this problem and it worked fine all day. Then last evening I shut charting down for a time and went to re-open it and has been a problem ever since.

MidKnight

Re: Oanda Feed "Error 429"

Postby MidKnight » 30 May 2016

Some extra information.

This is with a real account as the data source and the account is Oanda's v20 account type.

Yesterday and part of today was holidays in some markets and as a result, Oanda had certain holiday hours for some of their CFD offerings. It seems that if I start MC.net and only open FX workspaces, then the data will load fine and the quote manager won't give any such error messages. However, if I instead I start MC.net and select FX workspaces along with some other CFD workspaces that have markets closed today, then all markets will give an error 429 and nothing will plot.

With kind regards,
MK

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 May 2016

Hello MidKnight,

This error is coming from OANDA API directly and you need to contract them directly for assistance.

This may also be related to the v20 account type as MultiCharts is not yet integrated with it and per OANDA warning message - you should contact their customer service for assistance.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 31 May 2016

I did contact them before posting here, and they told me to contact multicharts support.....They said something like, we only provide the API access and it is up to your chart provider to handle that.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 31 May 2016

Yesterday and part of today was holidays in some markets and as a result, Oanda had certain holiday hours for some of their CFD offerings. It seems that if I start MC.net and only open FX workspaces, then the data will load fine and the quote manager won't give any such error messages. However, if I instead I start MC.net and select FX workspaces along with some other CFD workspaces that have markets closed today, then all markets will give an error 429 and nothing will plot.
I did contact them before posting here, and they told me to contact multicharts support.....They said something like, we only provide the API access and it is up to your chart provider to handle that.
Looking at the OANDA API the 429 HTTP status error code is returned when (a) there's a rate limit violation or (b) too many requests for new connections per second.

That would match with the description you give here, with that you open too many workspaces that the error happens, but that the error doesn't happen when you open just one workspace.

This seems to be something that MultiCharts .NET should handle, because the allowed rate of 2 connections per second is not something that the user can handle themselves (easily). Perhaps you can try to open the workspaces one by one, with enough time between them, but if one workspaces contains several symbols, I don't think that would work -- the rate limit will still be reached when all of the symbols in that workspace try to connect at once.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 01 Jun 2016

G'day JoshM,

Normally I would say you may be onto something here, but I'm opening the same number of Oanda fed workspaces (19) that I have every day for months. Each workspace is charting a single instrument. Never had a problem before until the other day when there was holiday hours on some of the CFD markets I'm tracking. No problems since the holiday hours have passed.

With kind regards,
MK

MidKnight

Solution for OANDA feed stop

Postby MidKnight » 23 Jun 2016

Hi there,

I still get the very descriptive "Error 429" with this new datafeed module, and the charts won't load or backfill until I shut them all and try again. Is there anything in particular you would like me to provide you for further examination?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jun 2016

Hello MidKnight,

We need to replicate this case on our end. Please send the workspaces and instructions for replicating this behavior to support@multicharts.com. In case it happens again on your end - please also send us the MultiCharts logs - go to MultiCharts window -> Support tab -> LogsCollector.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 26 Jun 2016

Hi Henry,

Happened again this morning. FTP uploaded the logs to you. All I was doing was started MC.net and then opened my Oanda data source workspaces. That is all. My workspaces are all identical in terms of number of charts and what is on the charts. Each workspace contains 4 charts and I'm trying to open 19 workspaces.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Jun 2016

Hello MidKnight,

I still have not received the workspaces for replicating this behavior on our end.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Oanda Feed "Error 429"  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Jul 2016

Hello MidKnight,

According to the logs the application is running about 2 minutes.
After "Error 429" is received reconnect is done after approx. 3 minutes timeout.
So you should wait more time for the data to start loading again, or restart all application processes.
Our developers will study this behavior in more details and see if there is any room for improvement.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Sep 2016

We have improved OANDA connection to avoid 429 error: Solution for OANDA feed stop & 429 error

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”