MultiCharts .NET tutorials

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
JoshM

MultiCharts .NET tutorials

Postby JoshM » 15 Jul 2015

Hello,

As you know, MultiCharts .NET is a great platform packed with terrific features. The advanced features from .NET further expand MultiCharts .NET's features, but they come at a price: PowerLanguage .NET can have a steep learning curve for non-programmers.

For a while now I'm writing programming articles that I hope make MultiCharts .NET more accessible and easier to understand for you. These articles can be found on TradingCode.net. Though I'm by no means an expert, I do hope that some of my work can be of value to you.

Happy learning & trading,

MaRCHeW

Re: MultiCharts .NET tutorials

Postby MaRCHeW » 15 Jul 2015

Hi JoshM,

I found this site some time ago and I'd like to tell that this is very helpfull and great place for everyone who wants to take advantage of features implemented in MultiCharts .NET.

Thank you for your effort JoshM! Great job!.

Regards
MaRCHeW

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 16 Jul 2015

Thanks MaRCHeW for your kind words. I'm glad you find it useful!

jwebster503

Postby jwebster503 » 02 Sep 2015

For a while now I'm writing programming articles that I hope make MultiCharts .NET more accessible and easier to understand for you. These articles can be found on TradingCode.net. Though I'm by no means an expert, I do hope that some of my work can be of value to you.
Just a quick word -- I bookmarked your site awhile back as being a helpful "getting started" resource, and seeing your post here, wanted to take a moment to drop a reply and give a heartfelt thanks -- you've saved me quite a bit of time in getting started on the right path.

Jeff
Last edited by jwebster503 on 02 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 02 Sep 2015

Just a quick word -- I bookmarked your site awhile back as being a helpful "getting started" resource, and seeing your post here, wanted to take a moment to drop a reply and give a heartfelt thanks -- you've saved me quite a bit of time in getting started on the right path. I am way beyond the initial learning curve that most of these articles are aimed at, but even so they have saved hours and hours of time.
Thank you for the thanks, I really appreciate that. And I'm very glad that it saved you quite a bit of time.

But it's not good that most of the articles are too much beyond your learning curve. If you want, can you give an example of an article that's too complex and one that's easier to follow? Perhaps that can give me some ideas for how to make the articles more accessible.

jwebster503

Postby jwebster503 » 02 Sep 2015

... I am way beyond the initial learning curve that most of these articles are aimed at, but even so they have saved hours and hours of time.

But it's not good that most of the articles are too much beyond your learning curve. If you want, can you give an example of an article that's too complex and one that's easier to follow? Perhaps that can give me some ideas for how to make the articles more accessible.
I edited my original post and took that sentence out -- it was confusing and added no benefit. I meant to say I am already an expert C# coder and pick up APIs like MC rather quickly -- I am past the initial learning curve. Your articles are excellent and aimed at giving an introduction to a topic -- usually I'll end up having to go much, much deeper. But, even with a need to deep dive on topics, I have found your introductory articles to be helpful as they have made me aware of functionality that I didn't know about -- you have organized the site well and I discovered new functionality that I wasn't aware of. You have spent a lot of effort putting this in place, and I wanted to let you know that as a relative newcomer to the MC API, I found it to be a go-to resource. Thanks!

Jeff

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » 03 Sep 2015

I didn't know that was your site! I've used it quite a bit in the past. Thank you JoshM.

With all my best,
MK

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 05 Sep 2015

I edited my original post and took that sentence out -- it was confusing and added no benefit. I meant to say I am already an expert C# coder and pick up APIs like MC rather quickly -- I am past the initial learning curve.
Ah okay, thanks for clarifying.

Thanks jwebster503 and MidKnight for the nice words, much appreciated.

Archer

Postby Archer » 18 Sep 2015

Thanks a lot for your tutorials Josh.

I think it's well written. Easy to follow and understand. Definitely a high value contribution to the community.

Archer

gztanwei

Postby gztanwei » 21 Sep 2015

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your work! Could I suggest a topic of article?

How to set up Chart ToolStrip bar and how to turn on/off a signal's execution by clicking a button on the toolstrip.

Thanks!

Emmanuel

Postby Emmanuel » 22 Jul 2016

Hi Josh

TradingCode.Net is really excellent and clear and very helpful !!!!!!!

Thank you so much Josh !!!!!!!!!!

The9000

Postby The9000 » 02 Nov 2016

Thanks Josh the content on your site is great for someone looking to make the jump to c#. I found it extremely helpful.

Is there any documentation/examples anywhere on passing data to the MMS scripts in .NET? More specifically the methods for the equivalent functions in Easy Language such as pmms_deny_entries_all(), etc.

ABC

Postby ABC » 03 Nov 2016

The9000,

you can use the three build in portfolio trading strategies as a good starting point.
They are similar to the ones you can find in PowerLanguage MC.

Regards,

ABC
Thanks Josh the content on your site is great for someone looking to make the jump to c#. I found it extremely helpful.

Is there any documentation/examples anywhere on passing data to the MMS scripts in .NET? More specifically the methods for the equivalent functions in Easy Language such as pmms_deny_entries_all(), etc.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 03 Nov 2016

Thanks for your kind words.

I don't know of other documentation or examples for that, besides the couple of examples that are in MultiCharts .NET already. (It's on my to do list to write about, of course.)

PietroCH

Postby PietroCH » 25 Jan 2019

Dear JoshM,
I found your tutorial very interesting. I wonder if you have anything to describe how to use the Custom Resolutions feature, or at least if you can suggest something for that.

Best regards,

Alfio

pdemontferrier

Postby pdemontferrier » 06 Apr 2019

Hi Josh,

I think that every Multicharts user know or should know your platform.
Thanks to you the learning curve gets exponential.
You made a great and very helpful job.
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and building your platform.
I sincerely wish you all the best.

Patrick

kh_model

Postby kh_model » 29 Jun 2021

Thank you for posting your excellent tutorial at: https://www.tradingcode.net/multicharts ... haracters/

I am relatively new to dot net and C# programming. When I pasted first the following code into the PowerLanguage editor it compiled but there was a red icon with an exclamation point next to the indicator in the editor list. Eventually I noticed that the problem can be solved by making sure that the name of the indicator matches the class name, instead of using a simplified name to represent the indicator. So in this particular case, the name of the indicator should apparently be: "Example_OutputWindowEscapeCharacters".

Here is a copy of the code:

using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Linq;
using PowerLanguage.Function;

namespace PowerLanguage.Indicator
{
[SameAsSymbol(true)]
public class Example_OutputWindowEscapeCharacters : IndicatorObject
{
public Example_OutputWindowEscapeCharacters(object _ctx) : base(_ctx) { }

protected override void StartCalc()
{
ExecInfo.MaxBarsBack = 10;

Output.Clear();

Output.WriteLine("Current bar \"volume\": {0}",
Bars.Ticks[0]);

Output.WriteLine("");

Output.WriteLine("Filename: C:\\Temp\\myTextFile.txt.");

Output.WriteLine("\r\nPrevious bar:\r\nOpen: {0}\r\nClose: {1}",
Bars.Open[1],
Bars.Close[1]);

Output.WriteLine("\r\nCurrent bar price data:");
Output.WriteLine("Open:\t{0}", Bars.Open[0]);
Output.WriteLine("High:\t{0}", Bars.High[0]);
Output.WriteLine("Low:\t{0}", Bars.Low[0]);
Output.WriteLine("Close:\t{0}", Bars.Close[0]);

Output.WriteLine("\r\nSpecial Unicode characters:");
Output.WriteLine("\u00BD \u2260 \u00BC");
Output.WriteLine("\u2605, \u2602, \u266B");
}

protected override void CalcBar() { }
}
}

Talky_Zebra

Postby Talky_Zebra » 10 Mar 2024

@JoshM - your tutorials are really, really good. Thank you for sharing them!

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”