Countdown Marker Disappeared...  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts .NET and user contributed studies.
datamonkey

Countdown Marker Disappeared...

Postby datamonkey » 02 Nov 2016

I just seem to be having problem after problem with MC.net at the moment. Another thing that used to work has just randomly stopped.

This time it's the countdown marker. I use tick charts and it's useful to see how many ticks remain in the current bar. Except on the Renko charts it has disappeared. It works on bar and candlestick charts and used to work on Renko but now for some unknown reason it's decided to stop. The "countdown" option is selected and the last price marker is still visible.

This seems similar to how the session breaks suddenly stopped working one day on Renko charts also. Why is this and how do I rectify it please? I paid $1500 for this software and things keep breaking!

Alex MultiCharts

Re: Countdown Marker Disappeared...

Postby Alex MultiCharts » 02 Nov 2016

Hello,

There is no countdown for Renko chart type in MultiCharts since 7.0 version when it was disabled.
Although Renko charts are built using time resolutions, they are not time-based, in fact. That is why countdown was disabled.

datamonkey

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I have replied and added a screenshot to the "bug" page:

http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... no=MC-2129

I said over there:

"I have been using the countdown on Renko charts. Also it works on the free version you give away with Amp Futures... Either way why was it disabled when it was already a feature and a useful one?"

And...

"please see the new attachment showing a Renko chart using MC.net on NQM5 market (Nasdaq June 2016) that clearly shows the countdown working with Renko. This was version 9 I believe, certainly not version 7!"
Attachments
renkocount.jpg
(129.62 KiB) Downloaded 1526 times

datamonkey

they are not time-based, in fact. That is why countdown was disabled.
i agree with your comment however I use Renko with tick data, not time data, that's the countdown I use so maybe that's where the confusion has come from.

To clarify - I have been using Renko charts (after version 7) with a countdown using tick data, not time data. Now it doesn't work...

Alex MultiCharts

It might be an issue in a previous version. But correct behavior is that countdown for Renko charts should not be working by design.

datamonkey

It might be an issue in a previous version. But correct behavior is that countdown for Renko charts should not be working by design.
Why on earth not? I used it as it helps me determine when a bar may or may not form for entry/exit. Now i have to guess at what point the tick count is at and basically the bar may form at any minute or not.

Please explain how I used it before on a version after 7 and now not? Also why does it work on the CURRENT "special" version you give away with Amp Futures which I was using WITH a countdown on Renko charts just last week?

Alex MultiCharts

1. We have tested it with the older versions: 8.8 - countdown is not working there; 9.0 - countdown is not working there.

2. Then tested it using .NET Special Edition 9.1 - countdown is not working there.
Used .NET Special Edition 10 Beta 2 - countdown is not working there.

As I mentioned before, it might be an issue with a certain version or it might be a countdown of another data series of the chart, that is not Renko.

Anyway, expected behavior is countdown should not be available for Renko chart type.

datamonkey

it might be a countdown of another data series of the chart, that is not Renko.
Does that mean I can effectively add it to the Renko chart using some other data series then?

Alex MultiCharts

It is possible to add another data series to the chart with regular bars and select "Invisible bars" in Format Instrument -> Style tab. Then select the necessary data series via right click on the Price Scale.

datamonkey

It is possible to add another data series to the chart with regular bars and select "Invisible bars" in Format Instrument -> Style tab. Then select the necessary data series via right click on the Price Scale.
Right. That's all I wanted, thank you.

I've got the countdown on the chart but by adding the 2nd hidden data series it's messed up the Renko as attached (left chart without second hidden data series, right chart with).

Any ideas please?
Attachments
issue.png
(88.45 KiB) Downloaded 1529 times

Alex MultiCharts

Re: Countdown Marker Disappeared...  [SOLVED]

Postby Alex MultiCharts » 03 Nov 2016

Yes, the chart might not look very smooth when you are combining different chart types or different resolutions on the same chart and it is expected.
You can only place another data series on a sub-chart and watch the countdown there.
But countdown for Renko might be different from the regular chart type due to different construction of bars.

Return to “MultiCharts .NET”