Cannot access currency conversion server

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TraderWalrus

Cannot access currency conversion server

Postby TraderWalrus » 11 Jan 2017

Strategy running on USDCHF got switched off and gave the error "Cannot access currency conversion server. Calculation will be stopped". It happened after the strategy was running for hours, and now when I try to reactivate automation, the same error is generated each time, about 10 seconds from activation.

For some reason it happens only in a single chart, I have several other strategies running on other Forex pairs.

A search showed users reported this error in the last years also for previous versions.
Please advise.

MAZINGUER

Re: Cannot access currency conversion server

Postby MAZINGUER » 12 Jan 2017

Strategy running on USDCHF got switched off and gave the error "Cannot access currency conversion server. Calculation will be stopped". It happened after the strategy was running for hours, and now when I try to reactivate automation, the same error is generated each time, about 10 seconds from activation.

For some reason it happens only in a single chart, I have several other strategies running on other Forex pairs.

A search showed users reported this error in the last years also for previous versions.
Please advise.
The same thing happened to me yesterday.
In my case it happened to me with all the charts open
At the end I managed to solve it by turning the PC off and on again, but as you say, the strategies stop working and you have to reactivate them again

Regards

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 17 Jan 2017

Hello TraderWalrus,

Let me explain what happened. Currency Converter uses data from MCFX server, as you know. So do the subscribers of MCFX data feed. We provide more than 13 years of ticks through this server. This is an incredible amount of historical data that unfortunately results in heavy loading of MCFX server.

This time it failed to cope with the data and currency conversion requests due to technical glitches that affected your work with MultiCharts.

Our developers are working on the problem right now and we are going to take a number of actions to improve the work of MCFX server.

First of all, we have examined the server and analyzed its log files to determine the original reason of the issue and to increase the server performance.
Secondly, MultiCharts developers are optimizing the process of generation and handling Currency Conversion requests to eliminate the disabling of the strategy during auto trading. And finally, we will add an option that allow you to choose a data source different from MCFX for the Currency Converter.

You can set up your data feed as a source for the currency conversion instead of MCFX if you prefer. To do this please follow these steps:

- Close MultiCharts and all its applications.
- Make sure that all the processes are over.
- Run Registry on your machine.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TS Support\*MultiCharts that you’re using*\CurrencyConverter\SymbolsMCFX_2
- You will notice the folders named “Item_0”, “Item_1”, “Item_2”, “Item_3”, etc. Each folder determines a Forex pair. Open the very top folder and go to Second folder.
- There are three key values that you need to change: DataFeed, Exchange, SymbolName.
- Double click DataFeed and change PrivateMCFX to the corresponding name of the data source. Here is the list of the data sources *the spelling and spaces are important*: AvaTrade, Barchart.com, eSignal, Dukascopy, FXCM, GAIN Capital, Interactive Brokers, IQFeed, IWBank QuickTrade, LMAX, MB Trading, OANDA, TS.
- Double click Exchange and change it if needed to the exchange that is used by the data feed and where the symbol is trading.
- Change the SymbolName format if necessary. Ex., EUR.USD, EUR/USD.
- Repeat the procedure for all the symbols that you’re using.

TraderWalrus

Postby TraderWalrus » 17 Jan 2017

Thank you Angelina for the reply.

I assume many users have other data feeds instead of MCFX. I find it quite strange that I do my forex trading on IB, using data from there, while Multicharts is using a different source for the currency conversion.

It will be very helpful if we could do the change you describe from the platform rather than modifying keys in the registry. Getting it right is quite tricky. Is it possible to include that in one of the next updates?

Angelina MultiСharts

Postby Angelina MultiСharts » 22 Jan 2017

TraderWalrus,

We are planning on implementing it in one of the future releases. I can't give any ETA yet as this option is still under evaluation, but we will do our best to have it available at the earliest.

kecha1

Postby kecha1 » 23 Jan 2017

We had this problem on JPY pairs this morning at around 09:00 UTC. All automated strategies went off.

Zoakes

Postby Zoakes » 13 Sep 2020

I'm having the same issue with a handful of pairs with LMAX, and I seem to also be having it with IB -- so must be the MCFX server?

I saw in another thread you can change the conversion server in preferences somewhere? Can't seem to find it, if so?

Return to “MultiCharts”