Why is .xml put on the export.  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Why is .xml put on the export.

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Aug 2017

Hi,

I export all my studies in a date/time stamped archive to a specific backup directory fairly often. I was exporting them and it was putting .pla on that end only. I always assumed this meant "Power Language Archive". So now for some reason it is tagging .xml on the end rather than .pla. I am just curious as to why it is choosing .xml rather than .pla

Thanks,
John

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Why is .xml put on the export.  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Aug 2017

Hello John,

it looks like you have selected XML file in "Save as type" fields upon study export. You can change it back to PLA.
Save as type.png
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 541 times

bowlesj3

Re: Why is .xml put on the export.

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Aug 2017

Thanks Henry. I should have noticed that. I will make sure it stays pla now.

Still curious I went to the wiki to see why one might want to export as xml and I found nothing. So I went to the google to get info on xml. I know html since I taught myself to program a mysql database driven website 2 years ago. I read a bit about xml but never learned it. I was wondering if xml is used for the MC.net studies since I seem to remember reading you could use some web based stuff in MC.net (buttons on a chart, etc).

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Why is .xml put on the export.

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Sep 2017

John,

Originally studies were stored in plain xml files. Pla is the wrapper for the xml file for ease of using it with PLEditor.

Return to “MultiCharts”