Scanner do not load data / load data for very long time

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ppc

Scanner do not load data / load data for very long time

Postby ppc » 19 Oct 2017

Hi,

I put around 80 stocks in scanner to load daily data from IB. It takes a few minutes to load around 20 stocks data then rest of stocks show "waiting for data". I have tried "force" IB to download data but scanner still show no progress.
I start a chart with a stocks in the scanner then MC can immedicately download data and plot chart quickly. I can see it download data process in quote manager but that stocks in scanner still show "waiting for data" as shown in attachment. Sometimes it takes more an hour to just download daily data. I also try disconnect IB profile and connect afterwhile, it works for 10 stocks to show data but then no progress. I have ensured the no of stocks download is within IB no. of instrument download limit. Scanner seems like is just sitting there. Appreciate for any help.
Attachments
scanner wait for data but chart load up completed for same instrument 2.png
(74.81 KiB) Downloaded 1399 times

Anna MultiCharts

Re: Scanner do not load data / load data for very long time

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 19 Oct 2017

Hello, ppc!

What data range is selected for the stocks in Scanner? Is the "Build from minutes" option enabled in Format Instruments window -> Settings tab?
Do you get pacing violation messages? https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Violation
Are there any error messages in the Event Log of QuoteManager?

ppc

Postby ppc » 19 Oct 2017

Hello, ppc!

What data range is selected for the stocks in Scanner? Is the "Build from minutes" option enabled in Format Instruments window -> Settings tab?
Do you get pacing violation messages? https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Violation

Hi Anna,

"Build from minutes" - Not enable. I create a session template (0930 to 1600) to apply in sessions. Resolution is 1 day. Custom data range 500 days. I find this error msg " Error processing request-'bo' : cause - Duplicate ticker id" in quote manager. No pacing violation messages

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 20 Oct 2017

ppc,

please, reproduce the issue and send us the Logs so that we could analyze this. To send the Logs, please, go to Help -> Feedback -> check "Attach Log files..", "Attach minidump..." and "Upload collected data to Help Desk" -> click Send.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 20 Oct 2017

Look many of us have complained about this problem for a very long time and it is you who need to work on fixing the problem. It takes forever for MC to load historical data and then it takes a very long time for the studies to calculate on that data. Stop asking for us to replicate the problem, you know there is a problem fix it.

MC has a very weak and incapable data server for historical data handling. There is more to a platform that just the current day's price action, for an example of how it should work look at TS.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Oct 2017

Look many of us have complained about this problem for a very long time and it is you who need to work on fixing the problem. It takes forever for MC to load historical data and then it takes a very long time for the studies to calculate on that data. Stop asking for us to replicate the problem, you know there is a problem fix it.

MC has a very weak and incapable data server for historical data handling. There is more to a platform that just the current day's price action, for an example of how it should work look at TS.
Hello Mark,

The amount of time it takes to download historical data from a data vendor depends on multiple factors: each data provider has his own API that operates in its own way and has limitations for the amount of data it provides within specific period of time.
IB is well known for preventing their servers from overloads by limiting the amount of data they return to the users within a specific period of time:
https://interactivebrokers.github.io/tw ... #gsc.tab=0
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _Violation
This has nothing to do with the platform, this is how the data feed works.
At the moment there are no known outstanding issues with downloading historical data in MultiCharts.
Comparing data from a 3rd party source in MultiCharts with TS platform, which is the data feed and broker at the same time for their own platform, is completely irrelevant.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 20 Oct 2017

There is clearly a issue with MC getting data from TS and filling the charts of MC with the same data. This issue has kept me from using MC as a serious replacement for TS, it's sad that ignoring the issue will not make the platform more usable. I can not use MC to trade with because of this poor data transfer issue.

ppc

Postby ppc » 21 Oct 2017

Henry,

How do MC reload all updated historical data in scanner ( delete all old data in scanner and then reload all new data )? As some stocks report their price are zero, I am trying to reload all but not successful. They still keep old data. thanks.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 Oct 2017

Hello, ppc!

Hi Anna,

"Build from minutes" - Not enable. I create a session template (0930 to 1600) to apply in sessions. Resolution is 1 day. Custom data range 500 days.
When you are not building from minutes, the session template is not used. You are loading the daily OHLC.

Have you checked the QuoteManager to make sure you have the Daily data in the database and not just minute data?

I find this error msg " Error processing request-'bo' : cause - Duplicate ticker id" in quote manager. No pacing violation messages
This seems to be a problem. Please take a screen shot of the message.

ppc

Postby ppc » 26 Oct 2017

Hello, ppc!

Hi Anna,

"Build from minutes" - Not enable. I create a session template (0930 to 1600) to apply in sessions. Resolution is 1 day. Custom data range 500 days.
When you are not building from minutes, the session template is not used. You are loading the daily OHLC.

Have you checked the QuoteManager to make sure you have the Daily data in the database and not just minute data?

How to check them in QuoteManager?
I find this error msg " Error processing request-'bo' : cause - Duplicate ticker id" in quote manager. No pacing violation messages
This seems to be a problem. Please take a screen shot of the message.
The log just show latest message. How to reference back earlier in the event log? Thanks.

ppc

Postby ppc » 26 Oct 2017

Anyone can help to confirm the following questions:
1. daily data (OHLC) of US stocks from IB include non-regular trading hour data?
2. If yes to Q1, is it the only way to use minute data to build regular trading hour data (0930-1600) or there are other ways to do so?
3. I see there is a option "regular trading hours(for daily based data only)" in IB data feed configuration in Quote manager. Does it use minute data to build or other method?

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 07 Nov 2017

ppc,

“The log just show latest message. How to reference back earlier in the event log? Thanks.” – is there a possibility to scroll the event log? The scroll should be on the right side of it.

“1. daily data (OHLC) of US stocks from IB include non-regular trading hour data?” – I’d recommend you to check this with IB as we display the data the way it’s received from the data feed.

“2. If yes to Q1, is it the only way to use minute data to build regular trading hour data (0930-1600) or there are other ways to do so?” – if IB send non-regular trading hours data, then you can use Build from minutes option in Format Instruments -> Settings tab.

“3. I see there is a option "regular trading hours(for daily based data only)" in IB data feed configuration in Quote manager. Does it use minute data to build or other method?” – this setting allows to request daily data with sessions that exist on the data feed side. Minute data isn’t influenced by this.

Return to “MultiCharts”