Mapping symbols  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
firemag

Mapping symbols

Postby firemag » 30 Oct 2017

Last week Henry helped me to correctly map TS data feed for Coffee so that it produces the correct price for order entry with both GAIN Capital and Interactive Brokers for automated strategies. Before that point, the orders were being rejected because prices were out-of-range. We also set up Soybean Oil at that time. It does produce correct orders for GAIN (in price form 0.nnnn), however, it looks like Interactive Brokers is rejecting the orders (it wants those prices as nn.nn form).

TS reports the price in nn.nn form. The "*0.01" multiplier has been applied to the TS Soybean Oil symbol description and this is translating the price to 0.nnnn in the chart.

Here is the chart and strategy for GAIN. It took the strategies buy-stop order just fine.
2017-10-30_8-31-13.jpg
(55.39 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times
Here is the chart and same strategy for IB. I manually entered the short trade, displayed as 34.61. The chart scale is 0.nnnn as expected.
2017-10-30_8-32-54.jpg
(57.4 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times
What do the settings need to be for IB's symbol in order to do the correct price translation so that the strategy can correctly place the order? I've tried several scalings, the last being:
2017-10-30_8-34-49.jpg
(59.95 KiB) Downloaded 1104 times
But the orders keep going in as 0.nnnn and are being rejected.

What do the settings need to be for IB's symbol here?

firemag

Re: Mapping symbols

Postby firemag » 31 Oct 2017

BTW... I've returned the IB price scaling back to their API settings (1/100, 1, 600) so that I could enter the stop trades manually. So that works fine (manual trade entry) for both GAIN and IB. Just still not automated trading for both at the same time. GAIN needs price scale 0.nnnn and IB needs nn.nn.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 07 Nov 2017

Hello, firemag!

For trading correct symbol mapping is important. When you use different data feed and broker then you need to adjust the data feed symbol settings according to the broker symbol settings. In autotrading the prices are rounded off according to the price scale of the chart so that the orders are accepted on the broker’s side.
Provided that you have just one data feed symbol and two brokers to trade with you need to adjust the data feed symbol so that both brokers could accept it. In your case brokers have different symbol settings and you need to have two data feed symbols to be able to adjust the settings for each of them. But having one and the same symbol from one and the same data feed with different settings in one QuoteManager is not possible. You need to have two QuoteManagers for that purpose.

firemag

Postby firemag » 08 Nov 2017

Thanks, Anna. How would I set up two QuoteManagers so that I could trade at both brokers that use different settings for the Soybean Oil example above?

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 09 Nov 2017

firemag,

I'm afraid to achieve this goal you need to have 2 separate MultiCharts, as one MultiCharts can have only one QuoteManager (which is database). Sorry if my previous answer confused you.

Zheka

Postby Zheka » 11 Nov 2017

Will installing a 32-bit MC and a 64-bit MC help? These would be 2 QMs and 2 databases, right?

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Nov 2017

Will installing a 32-bit MC and a 64-bit MC help? These would be 2 QMs and 2 databases, right?

You will need 2 licenses to run 2 copies of MC at the same time.

firemag

Re: Mapping symbols  [SOLVED]

Postby firemag » 12 Nov 2017

firemag,

I'm afraid to achieve this goal you need to have 2 separate MultiCharts, as one MultiCharts can have only one QuoteManager (which is database). Sorry if my previous answer confused you.
Thanks, Anna. Not great news, but I appreciate the clarification.

Return to “MultiCharts”