QuoteManager (QM) discussion

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
FuTuReZ

QuoteManager (QM) discussion

Postby FuTuReZ » 13 May 2007

Let's discuss the QM.

It is a strong point for MC. Accessing multiple data sources, merging data. A lot of work has gone into QM and is one of the top reasons I choose MC.

Bugs - Data seems to hang on my machine if QM doesn't mesh well with data providers. There are numerous other bugs (resolution change = data stall) detailed elsewhere. The TSS support group appears to try and fix these problems with fine detail, good & bad imo. A step back approach could prove wise. Just something seemingly simple would likely end a lot of problems.

An interface to give user function control over QM. So in a situation like data provider not responding(IB on the weekends) User could simply bypass (goto next). Instead of trying to modify Workspaces / rebooting, etc..

I have read very detail post by users that reference other QM data stalls. Please TSS take a step back and try & correct these problems. Without data MC simply (obviously) doesn't work.

Am I missing something? Simple work around? Please anyone share..

Thanks

Nick

Postby Nick » 15 May 2007

I have to agree with all your points. QM is potentially excellent but as the 'beating heart' of the product needs resuscitation now and then and shows an irregular heartbeat far to often.

For example if you open 2 days worth of plain 5 minute bars and then open a second identical chart the second chart takes at least 10 seconds to load! (this is using IB though that is kind of academic). If you have internet problems the chart can stall for longer. All this data should be cached so I don't understand why this happens. It does suggest that there maybe some basic issues however.

The other thing I wonder is if there is a 3 tiered approach to data storage. 1) Ram Cache 2) Disc cache 3) Data Provider. If not it is unlikely that MC will scale well.

Postby guest » 07 Jun 2007

My issue is with it keeping my IB access information specifically, the IP and port. Everytime I restart the program, I have to go to quote manager and adjust the setiings, then I wait and wait wand wait for it to update my settings.

If I quit, it loses them and reverts back to a previous setting.

ANNOYING.....

Postby Guest » 07 Jun 2007

qm saves data at resolution level. i think this is done to speed up retrieval.

e.g. the daily chart of a symbol has a different data set than a 1 min chart. when you call up a daily chart, the chart is not constructed from a minute data or tick data, it has its own eod database. i think it is same for 5 min chart and 30 minute charts. so when you switch a chart's resolution, say from a 5 minute chart to a 30 minute chart, mc has to reload the data from the data base. it cannot simply construct the 30 minute chart using 5 minute data. you would think it is easy, but it is not.

Postby Guest » 08 Jun 2007

I would like the QM to be able to schedule download of historical data from IB.

Currently, say i look at a minute chart over 20 days and i want to only refresh the latest day's data.. i have to do a reload for all 20 day's data and with IB's throttling policy this can take a long time..
This is worsen by the fact that i look at multiple symbols......

I would like to be able to leave the computer on with MC running... and at schedule times... QM automatically download only the latest day's data for certain specified symbols.... the next morning when i open up the charts they are all up to date.

Another feature sorely missed is the ability to specified different session periods for the same symbol

Kate

Postby Kate » 08 Jun 2007

FuTuReZ,

It'd be really faster and easier for us to fix bugs if customers who notice data stalls or other problems contact us and demonstrate these issues because sometimes reproducing a certain situation can take hours and hours of no avail. We have a special Bug Tracking system and never missed a chance to analyze a problem.

Kate

For example if you open 2 days worth of plain 5 minute bars and then open a second identical chart the second chart takes at least 10 seconds to load! (this is using IB though that is kind of academic). If you have internet problems the chart can stall for longer. All this data should be cached so I don't understand why this happens. It does suggest that there maybe some basic issues however.

The other thing I wonder is if there is a 3 tiered approach to data storage. 1) Ram Cache 2) Disc cache 3) Data Provider. If not it is unlikely that MC will scale well.
To create an identical time-based chart MultiCharts needs a few seconds to retrieve data from the base, establish connection and send request for missing data (even for a few seconds) to the data provider. Tick-count charts are loading considerably faster.

As for our approach to data storage, actually we have a 4 tiered approach: 1) Ram Cache, 2) Disc cache, 3) Database, 4) Data provider.

Kate

My issue is with it keeping my IB access information specifically, the IP and port. Everytime I restart the program, I have to go to quote manager and adjust the setiings, then I wait and wait wand wait for it to update my settings.

If I quit, it loses them and reverts back to a previous setting.

ANNOYING.....
Could you describe this problem in more detail?

Kate

I would like the QM to be able to schedule download of historical data from IB.

I would like to be able to leave the computer on with MC running... and at schedule times... QM automatically download only the latest day's data for certain specified symbols.... the next morning when i open up the charts they are all up to date.

Another feature sorely missed is the ability to specified different session periods for the same symbol
Both features will be added in future versions.

Return to “MultiCharts”