Backing up MC 64

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Backing up MC 64

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 Feb 2018

Hi, I have replaced my disk drive in my Win7 machine and I am reinstalling and returning data . I am trying to tighten things up with much more accurate documentation for doing this process and that includes anything MC 64 related. There are two sections of questions.

Section 1: ============
I was reading the https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... _User_Data. It takes me to "C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64" where I find the four sub directories below. I am trying to find out exactly where my user settings are (tool bars, tool bar locations, drawing tool defaults, short cut keys, how MC is positioned on the 2 monitors I use, and anything else I have not thought of). I have two questions. Are these settings in one of these four directories? What is in InstallerCache that I would want to return?

Databases (I know this well and back it up regularly using a date-time stamp so I can go back up to 7 days)
StudyServer (I know this one - studies and functions are in there - I regularly date-time stamp backup all studies/functions into a special directory)
InstallerCache
TradingCenter

Actually I backup the data from this directory which seems to have the same files as the above directory so I guess one is a pointer (I guess that is what the little arrow means).
C:\Users\All Users\TS Support\MultiCharts64\Databases

Section 2: ============
Is there anything in the two directories below I might want to return?
Henry said I could discard the first one. Is that still true?
The 2nd one (roaming) has me curious because the sub directories imply I should be backing it up.
C:\Users\John Bowles\AppData\Local\TS Support\MultiCharts64
C:\Users\John Bowles\AppData\Roaming\TS Support\MultiCharts64 (in this one I see hotkeys, commissions, PLeditor, prebuilt, etc)

Thanks,
John

Mydesign

Re: Backing up MC 64

Postby Mydesign » 17 Feb 2018

Hello,

There is a built-in Backup & Restore tool available in MC since version 11. Its a no-brainer, you should use that instead... You can even schedule it for automation.
Capture.PNG
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 17 Feb 2018

There is a built-in Backup & Restore tool available in MC since version 11.
Thanks, I went to the wiki to see how to run it and the instructions didn't seem to find it. I don't think my version 11.0 build 14734 has it. They changed the file layout for cryptocurrency so I decided not to upgrade. So for now I am just backing up all the directories I mentioned with MS-backup and if I do a fresh reinstall I will return them all before I reinstall MC. That probably covers it.

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 18 Feb 2018

FYI you can find it in the start menu, Mulicharts64 folder.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Feb 2018

FYI you can find it in the start menu, Mulicharts64 folder.
Okay thanks, I found it this time. Your instructions are better than the wiki because you said "FOLDER" and that inspired me to (go to start, programs and keep scanning down for the multi charts folder) rather than (just finding MC farther up and stopping there). I went back to the wiki which I quoted below and it did not say folder (the sentence "Find your multicharts version" needs to be reworked to say "Scan down to find the folder for your MultiCharts Version"). Maybe you should update the wiki :-) I use to know how to do it (to a limited extent) and had the permissions to do it but I have lost the notes.

Wiki Extract:
To Launch Backup Application:
Click Windows Start button;
Select All Programs;
Find your MultiCharts version;
Click Backup.
So regarding the details I have worked through it below since there is some new info in one item and since others may spot an error or may have questions upon reading it. I also have one question at the bottom.

Application settings
I need that one

Instrument list and settings and instrument data
I assume these are the symbols. I just learned these are stored in the database files because I imported the symboles then when I moved the database files in they changed (it also says they are in the database files in the wiki). I have a 7 day rotation backup already set up so I will uncheck these two.

Studies:
I have this covered already. I export them from the power language editor way more often than daily (if doing a lot of work maybe every 5 or 10 minutes and immediately after any small change so I do not loose it). I apply a date time stamp to every export so if I have to go way back I can. The need to go back has happened 2 or 3 times at least.

Order and Position Tracker Data:
I gather if you use chart trading the history of various things is stored in there so I guess I check that one.

Private Authentication data:
Prefer not to for security reasons.

Custom Resolution Plugins:
I have no idea what this is :-)

My Documents
Already Covered in my current MS-Backup process which is very good by the way (very reliable and you can use the check boxes to quickly check the directories you want to back up. It comes in the Home Version of Win 10 as well).

Desktop:
Already Covered in my current MS-Backup process.

Add Folder
Already Covered in my current MS-Backup process.

Backup Scheduler Settings:
I decided to do it once only since the stuff I want backed up by this utility does not change. Daily would keep adding new data/time stamp files and I don't want to have to go back in and delete stuff.

Backup File Location:
I chose a folder that will lead to its being copied to 2 other machines (an old clunky desktop for my office work and a notebook).

Okay so I read the wiki on the restore and I pulled it up. I highlighted the backup file and clicked the restore options. It has remembered the options I checked in the backup. So it looks very good.

QUESTIONS:
Which checkbox stores the above settings for the backup itself?

Return to “MultiCharts”