MC - IB #6035 Error

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MC_Prog

MC - IB #6035 Error

Postby MC_Prog » 19 Apr 2011

Yesterday I traded all day with the chart interface connected to IB. Everything seemed fine. I took a position overnight.

This AM I closed that position via TWS (before being in MC).

Later, when I opened MC, I was unable to place any orders via chart trading. They are all rejected by IB, and come up cancelled.

When it works, the new chart trading interface is superb. However, there is clearly something not quite correct/reliable yet.
Attachments
MC_IB_6035_Err.png
#6035 error
(19.31 KiB) Downloaded 2507 times

bibulous

Re: MC - IB #6035 Error

Postby bibulous » 20 Apr 2011

I had the same issue see:
http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... f=1&t=8394

you have to enter a "Local Symbol" with MC 7.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 20 Apr 2011

Any messages in these fields are not generated by us, they are sent by IB and we simply display them.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 20 Apr 2011

The point is, Chart Trading ceased to operate under these circumstances.

It worked perfectly fine for a whole day, many trades. Then, with a position overnight, the next day it did not work.

There is an issue between Chart Trading and IB. If you believe error #6035 is not relevant, well, maybe. But for me, this error appeared coincident with Chart Trading ceasing to function.

Also, to say IB sends the message and MC just displays it I think dances around what goes on in the MC/IB interaction. MC sends messages to the IB API. When something is incorrect about the message, IB complains. The message was created in MC, no?

Another clue might be that I was using merged data charts, with IQFeed for History and IB for Realtime.

Stan Bokov

I didn't mean that it's "alright" to have these messages, and I wasn't brushing it off. The message is an error message in response to what we send to the API. I was referring the the precise text content of the message (i.e. field #6035) - we have no idea what that field is. BUT, we know what's causing this - incorrect Symbol Mapping. And if Symbol Mapping is incorrect, then trading of any kind will not to function. Please make sure you check the Local Symbol setting and the thread posted by bibulous.

A separate question is this - you said it functioned fine and then you got the error? This should not be the case, unless you mapping reset itself - now that is an issue we need to look at if this happens again.

MC_Prog

I had the same issue see:
http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... f=1&t=8394

you have to enter a "Local Symbol" with MC 7.
Thanks for trying to offer a helpful pointer. As it happens, I searched and read that thread and did not see anything there that seemed relevant. Reason: that was about AutoTrading, this is about Chart Trading.

If this is a configuration issue (which I doubt, based on my experiences), and if somebody has a full and complete understanding of why and how it is a configuration issue, then a detailed "starting from zero" explanation would be very much appreciated.

Otherwise, please accept that behavior is being observed that will not be found acceptable by users in daily practice, and that it requires investigation and correction!
Last edited by MC_Prog on 20 Apr 2011, edited 2 times in total.

MC_Prog

Stan - My last message crossed yours ... <g>

MC_Prog

A separate question is this - you said it functioned fine and then you got the error?
Yes, that makes it pretty mysterious ...

Stan Bokov

They did cross :)

Be it automated or chart trading, if you are trading from a symbol from someone other than the broker, you need symbol mapping. That mapping translates the symbol from whatever the data feed uses into the format that the broker wants, so it can execute your order. If you do not "translate" all of the fields properly, the broker will reject your order (i.e. it only sells oranges and you are trying to buy apples - it will tell you "I don't have any of that").

Usually, users set that up in the broker profile from the get-go and then trading works fine. You need to set that up for every symbol. If you set it up and it works, and THEN it turns off, there may be a problem.

MC_Prog

They did cross :)

Be it automated or chart trading, if you are trading from a symbol from someone other than the broker, you need symbol mapping. That mapping translates the symbol from whatever the data feed uses into the format that the broker wants, so it can execute your order. If you do not "translate" all of the fields properly, the broker will reject your order (i.e. it only sells oranges and you are trying to buy apples - it will tell you "I don't have any of that").

Usually, users set that up in the broker profile from the get-go and then trading works fine. You need to set that up for every symbol. If you set it up and it works, and THEN it turns off, there may be a problem.
Thank you for that summary.
As it happens, I have no mapping set up. This does not appear to be a problem in itself because I am using IB as the Realtime feed.

However, what may be related is that I have from time to time observed that Merged Data Sources charts (which I use) sometimes fail to remember their setup. IOW, suppose I create a Merged Data Source chart using IQFeed for history and IB for Realtime (this is my standard config). I have observed sometimes that this dual setting is "forgotten" by the chart, with the result that both History and Realtime become set to one or the other.

Though I have observed this multiple times, I have not isolated the reason for it.

Per the discussion above, if the Realtime setting to IB is "forgotten", then I would expect a mapping problem.

A further observation though is that once Chart Trading stops working right, no amount of verifying, setting, resetting the History/Realtime settings will get it working again.

Stan Bokov

Interesting behaviour. If it's reproducible, you may have found a bug/strange behaviour. If you can show it to us, we would be glad to look at it in the Live Chat tomorrow.

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 21 Apr 2011

This is all there is to see:

This workspace was saved yesterday fully working, configured with IQFeed/SPY for history and IB/SPY for realtime.

Now, the next day, at the moment of this picture, the IB/SPY realtime setting has been forgotten. It might be related to going overnight, it might be related to disconnects, I don't know. It is going to be necessary for your QC/Engineering team to test and experiment and find it and solve it, as I do not have an exact procedure to reproduce it, and I have my own tasks to attend to.

What I would say is, someone at MC needs to operate the program "as if" they were actually trading across days (and/or weeks). I have no doubt the issue will then be experienced.

If there is a log I can send in that might help, please let me know.

Good luck!
Attachments
IB_Blank.png
IB Field Blank this AM
(41.46 KiB) Downloaded 2297 times

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 21 Apr 2011

We will try to reproduce. But can you check what it says if you click on the drop-down that says Real-Time and switch it to History? It should show IQ.
Last edited by Stan Bokov on 21 Apr 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a question.

MC_Prog

We will try to reproduce. But can you check what it says if you click on the drop-down that says Real-Time and switch it to History? It should show IQ.
Yes, that's right, it does.

Stan Bokov

If that is the case, it didn't "forget" the settings of IQ for historical and IB for real-time. That was the problem, right?

MC_Prog

It's the IB for Realtime that went away. That's the blank field, that's what was forgotten.

Stan Bokov

Not sure whether the field is populated or not. It's an autofilter which may or may not be always populated. However, the selector is on SPY/SMART, and if you clicked OK at the moment you made the screenshot, it would give you IB's SPY for real-time and IQ for historical.

MC_Prog

When a Realtime source has been set and saved, that field will be populated with the set/saved value upon reopening the dialog and selecting For: Real Time . (And this is what any user would expect, I expect <g>).

If the dialog is reopened and the field is not populated, then that is an error condition. At the very least, it's a conceptual display error. My observations suggest it is also more than that, and related to the #6035 error.

LRP

Postby LRP » 23 Apr 2018

same here at MultiCharts64 Version 11.0 Release (Build 15808)
with the symbols @YM, @ES, @NQ with IB latest stand-alone TWS

What goes wrong ?

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 25 Apr 2018

Hello, LRP!

This message is still the result of incorrect symbol mapping and it is still sent to us this way by IB without any exact hints towards the symbols that generate this error.
Good that you figured out the symbols yourself. As these are continuous futures, they cannot be traded. You need to map them to the front month contracts from IB to be able to place orders.

Return to “MultiCharts”