Setting BigPointValue/PriceScale/MinMove for a custom symbol? Possible?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PK1

Setting BigPointValue/PriceScale/MinMove for a custom symbol? Possible?

Postby PK1 » 11 May 2018

Hello,

the short question is: How do I set BigPointValue/PriceScale/MinMove for a custom symbol. Sounds easy, what I've tried pls see below:

In order to use more detailed data for a backtest I came upon a few problems.

Bar Magnifier needs to be used which is not possible for custom futures. ==> My solution was a custom symbol with the reimported data of the custom future.

The symbol settings should be the same as the future but this way the data couldn't be drawn, the chart was corrupt, only weird OHCL-Values (Svetlana helped finding the solution for the corrupt chart, thx). For the custom symbol one can do Edit Symbol and the second and third tab needed to be changed. So one shouldn't define the session there and the Settings Source shouldn't be defined there either. ==> My solution for the session was a session template ==> My solution for the Settings Source was copying the symbol_root of the future to a new symbol_root underneath ASCIIMapping.

This way I have the same session settings (didn't check whether it's really applied to the custom symbol) and the same BigPointValue/MinMove/PriceScale as for the future. At least I was thinking this because my custom symbol had a symbol_root with the exact same settings at the future. But the three values are still wrong and a backtest with the custom symbol impossible.

So I've gone this way because I can't use Bar Magnifier on my continuous future but using the data in a custom symbol is not possible because I don't see a way to set the correct values for BigPointValue/MinMove/PriceScale.

Any idea?

TJ

Re: Setting BigPointValue/PriceScale/MinMove for a custom symbol? Possible?

Postby TJ » 11 May 2018

You can go to QuoteManager and edit the symbol
Attachments
edit symbol.JPG
(39.55 KiB) Downloaded 937 times

PK1

Postby PK1 » 11 May 2018

I can not because then MC is buggy while drawing chart data and the entire chart is corrupt. All this is described above ...

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 May 2018

I can not because then MC is buggy while drawing chart data and the entire chart is corrupt. All this is described above ...

Why do you blame MC?
What is buggy?

You have to take responsibility for your data.

PK1

Postby PK1 » 11 May 2018

sorry TJ, I don't want to blame anyone, I just need a workaround because the common things don't work. And so you blame me because of possible data problems. No, thats not the problem. I'm further with the entire thing and your assumptions are not matching. I can show you the problem with the corrupt charts as well as I've shown that problem to Svetlana. For that reason I've documented the entire thing in my question.

Edit: Two screenshots with same data but different settings. The first with the custom settings (according to your screenshot) and the second pic without. But this is not my problem because I can use session template and for the bigpointval I could use the copied symbol_root. There's just the remaining problem that the copied symbol_root has the right values but the strategy doesn't see them. That symbol_root has been mapped to the custom_symbol but that's not enough unfortunately. I'm sorry if I've called that a corrupt chart but I really don't know how to interprete the first chart with other words, because the existing data is not used when the symbol_setting is changed according to your suggestion.
Chart 00033.jpg
(130.98 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Chart 00034.jpg
(137.74 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 May 2018

Edit: Two screenshots with same data but different settings. The first with the custom settings (according to your screenshot)

NO NO NO... my screen shot is to show you where to make the changes.
I don't know what instrument you are using. You have to enter the proper setting for your particular instrument.

Please see Techsupp or your exchange for the proper setting.

PK1

Postby PK1 » 11 May 2018

No, there is no problem with finding the correct setting. The problem is MC invalidating the drawn chart as explained several tines and with using a copied symbolroot MC is not using the setting at all. There's no need to contact the exchange or tech support for finding the correct settings. That's just not the problem, which is explained in my first post already.
The symbol settings should be the same as the future but this way the data couldn't be drawn, the chart was corrupt, only weird OHCL-Values
These were my words and I keep repeating this over and over. You gave a suggestion which lets MC invalidate the chart for the custom symbol, that's what I told you. Why should I refer to the settings from your suggestion?? That doesn't make any sense at all. I wrote in the first post that I had the correct settings.
For the custom symbol one can do Edit Symbol and the second and third tab needed to be changed.
By using Edit Symbol one is doing the setting and these were my words. MC keeps me from doing this with any setting, otherwise the chart is corrupt. Thereafter I wrote that and the live chat did great help with adressing the problem:
So one shouldn't define the session there and the Settings Source shouldn't be defined there either.
These were my words. Otherwise MC is not able to draw the chart correctly but you blamed my data which is not the point at all.

That was the first prob (a bug, showed with my second and third screenshot and as well in the live-chat) for what I have a workaround with SessionTemplate and a copied SymbolRoot where the latter part doesn't work. And that's the second prob for which I opened the thread.

So there seems to be one bug and the other thing why the copied symbolroot-settings don't apply which I need to figure out. Actually a setting with a symbol_root should always apply.

I'll try to get back to live chat next Monday. Svetlana was very helpful and I mentioned the problem, that with avoiding the setting the BigPointValue is not set anymore. Maybe there's a workaround.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 17 May 2018

Hello, PK1,

I believe this issue was addressed and solved in Live Chat. Could you please come back to Live Chat to demonstrate why the provided solution doesn't satisfy you?
Live Chat is accessible from our web site http://www.multicharts.com/ (at the top of the page). We'll be expecting you Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 12:00 PM EST (11:30 AM to 5:00 PM GMT).

PK1

Re: Setting BigPointValue/PriceScale/MinMove for a custom symbol? Possible?  [SOLVED]

Postby PK1 » 17 May 2018

Hello Svetlana,

your solution was good but still I had to set those three params (see topic title) and I couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

I rephrased the problem here: viewtopic.php?t=51404
and after trying different things I found why the setting was not possible. Following the description of the way I found and what could be improved in MC regarding this setting. I add the points from that thread here and change this thread to Solved -->
I had assigned my new symbol to the category Cash because it's continuous data without single expiring contracts.
The consequences using Cash as a category were this:

1. One can use a symbol root but that configuration is not used by MC ---> should be disabled or removed in the Edit Symbol-Window, at the moment it's fake configuration which leads to the assumption that it's used. But it's surely not.
2. On the screenshots one can see that there are two and three options. Three are available for futures only. As it's possible to assign a symbol_root one would assume that the configuration of symbol_root is fetched but it's not (see 1.) So the setting here is consequent, that symbol_dictionary is not available for non-futures. Only the setting of symbol_root shouldn't be possible.
3. Using custom settings (screenshot) for a symbol which is not underneath the category Future and entering the values for Price Scale, MinMove, BigPointValue MC is not able to draw the chart data correctly, the chart looks corrupt then. I have no idea why this is working for my IDEALPRO-Data underneath the category Cash but for my new symbol it only causes big problems (PS: There's no data problem because MC shows the data correctly in one configuration, with another the chart is corrupt).

Imho 1. is an easy part to correct in a future version of MC leaving only the configuration which is used by MC.
At 3. As it's working for some symbols it should work for a custom symbol as well but it doesn't. So this is a bug but for me I've found a workaround.

Return to “MultiCharts”