Auto Trading Questions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Kel

Auto Trading Questions

Postby Kel » 23 May 2018

I recently ported one of my automated systems from Neoticker to MultiCharts and am running it for the first time on a demo account at GAIN Capital. I have a few questions and hoping someone would help out please.

1) If upon opening your charted system and the system is currently long but you miss the entry - how does one get the strategy position in sync - I tried entering a manual trade from the "Tradebar" and it did not seem to be recognized by the system despite being long on the Order and Position Tracker window and in GAIN OEC for that matter. On Neoticker that system would be in sync right away upon doing that. I am in SA mode. Do I have to manually enter the trade from the actual chart to get the system in sync?

2) I am using esignal data as a data feed - once long I notice last update and Open P/L was not reflected with changing market conditions in the "Order and Position Tracke"r window. I would expect that GAIN Capital would provide update information or even esignal data feed would be used to show Open P/L and last update. Again with Neoticker they will use broker data or if broker data is not chosen they will show the Open P/L using esignal data. What must i do to get things to be updated?

3) I assume if I use esignal as a data source - I can have multiple charts trading at different accounts and different brokers if I should choose.

Thank you.

Smoky

Re: Auto Trading Questions

Postby Smoky » 23 May 2018

1) You have to use !Sync standard signal to sync your manual trading with your autotrading stategies

(Sample in standard library)

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ronization

2)can youuse Gain capital datafeed ?

3) Yes of course

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 23 May 2018

Hello, Kel!

1) The existing positions are not picked up automatically when you start AT. You can assign the initial market position: https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... r_Settings
As you’re trading in SA mode, please take care to check the “Show always” box.

2) GAIN Capital provide the Open P/L info through their API, so it should be visible in the Order and Position Tracker. Please try to assign the position as suggested above and if this doesn’t help to obtain the Open P/L for your strategy position, then please come to our Live Chat that is accessible from our web site http://www.multicharts.com/ (at the top of the page) to demonstrate this issue remotely. We'll be expecting you Mon-Fri from 6:30 AM to 12:00 PM EST (11:30 AM to 5:00 PM GMT).

3) You can do that with any data provider and broker.

Kel

Postby Kel » 31 May 2018

Thanks Anna and Smoky,

Turns out that I didn't realize I had to turn on the automation from either the chart or the format pull-down menu. My apologies.

Next question - how can I completely automate startup of an automated strategy....

At the moment I reboot my trading pc every morning at 6 am using the windows task scheduler. Then using the task scheduler I start up the MC and MC is set up to open to the workspace and strategy chart that I want to trade.

At that point I get a popup window asking me "Do I want to enable the strategy with no confirmation". Is there a way to avoid this or automate accepting this? I probably could write an autohotkey marco to do it but I'd rather not if MC has a built in option.

I welcome suggestions.

Thanks,

Kel

TJ

Postby TJ » 31 May 2018

No such built-in option in MC.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 31 May 2018

I'm sorry Kel but MC dev team don't think about full autotrading, the only way is autohotkey but any unknow popup and your script stop !

i don't undestand because it's easy to do as standard function in MC, autohotkey hook every windows making windows10 slower !

Kel

Postby Kel » 01 Jun 2018

Thx TJ and Smoky...

To not completely be able to automate is truly unfortunate. With Tickquest Neoticker - I can completely automate startup...unfortunately Neoticker no longer seems to provide support and their broker API has not been kept up to date - right now with GAIN capital I need to enter dummy trades each day which I automate with Autohotkey - to allow an order sent from Neoticker to actually be executed. Neoticker no longer works with Interactive brokers but still works with MB Trading. That is one reason I purchased Multicharts.

MC Staff - I am requesting a feature that allows complete automated startup. I believe it would be very valuable to your clients. Make us checkoff that we understand the risk etc...if that is a concern.

Anna MultiCharts

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 01 Jun 2018

Kel, Smoky,

I’m afraid this function will not be introduced as our position is that all risky money related operations should be confirmed prior to be performed. This is a precaution measure for our users so that there’re no cases when autotrading starts without any user’s intension.

Kel

Postby Kel » 01 Jun 2018

Why don't you let your customer take responsibility - please don't baby sit us ...Neoticker allows this - I have been doing things this way for years. And ultimately I will just do a less than elegant work around so in the end you might as well provide the option anyway,.

rrams

Postby rrams » 05 Jun 2018

I would like to see more people succeed at semi-unattended auto trading and hear about their experiences. I won't ridicule any attempt no matter how modest the objective. I think the risk versus reward is there and has to be less dangerous than say being a passenger in a self driving car. I wish I could go on YouTube and find several MC users live streaming their trading bots.

The AT popup warning seems like a pretty insignificant hurdle to overcome compared to:
No realtime portfolio margin control
No remote connection monitoring
No daily price limit warnings
No automatic futures rollover
No liquidity or data spike filters and on and on...
MC.zip
Start MultiCharts and acknowledge AT popup
(469.81 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 05 Jun 2018

There are Keyboard and mouse Macro programs that can automate just about anything. (enter keystrokes for you).
I used to use them about 15 years ago to call up programs to run market scans and have a printout waiting for me when I got home from work.
I think they would solve your problem with full automation.
I think there is one built-into Win10 but I've never tried it.
The one that I used was called "Macro Express Pro". I think there is even a free version with fewer features that you could try.

Kel

Postby Kel » 26 Dec 2022

I have used auto hot key to automate start up of multicharts and auto login of TS data - but am just trying to set up for real money trading - my previous platform is no longer supported by gain (the last api that worked) and esignal data says they will no longer support my third party older platform (Neoticker) in a few months so I am forced to use multcharts or TS (I have both).

Setting up multicharts not as straight forward as I expected - hopefully its just a matter of coming up to speed with MC

Return to “MultiCharts”