ATTENTION AUTO TRADERS ? ANYONE?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Mark Brown

ATTENTION AUTO TRADERS ? ANYONE?

Postby Mark Brown » 08 Aug 2018

is anyone doing auto trading using "any" data feed broker service and multicharts? i just want to auto trade with multicharts and i need some advice and or guidance if it can in fact be done. i will trade any market thru any broker using any feed that will work without lots of failure and problems.

thank's mark

sptrader

Re: ATTENTION AUTO TRADERS ? ANYONE?

Postby sptrader » 08 Aug 2018

Mark: From my experience for the past 15+ years or so, IQfeed is very solid with Multicharts as is Interactive Brokers (about 15 years too). Multicharts support will remind you that they do NOT recommend unattended auto trading though. Too many possible variables, power failures, internet disruptions, computer lock-ups etc. But if you can harness the variables mentioned, you should have a good experience with IB and IQfeed.
I don't normally full auto-trade, just my exits are auto.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 08 Aug 2018

Hi Mark, I am auto trading exclusively using Iqfeed and IB and I have it running 24/5 and reset on the weekends. My strategy is conservative and effectively hedged (long/short equity) so I have no problem holding open positions overnight. If you are trading leveraged products unhedged then you have to be very careful. For this to work, I have dedicated servers that are collocated in a datacentre. There is no way I could do this with residential internet, not where I live. If you are serious about a fully automated strategy then I highly recommend renting a dedicated server. There are some excellent deals available these days. I don't leave it unattended during regular trading hours. This isn't set and forget unfortunately. There will always be WTF moments.

regards,

Alex

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 08 Aug 2018

I have been trying IB but they are kicking me out every 24 hours and I have not been able to get the auto login open source thing to work anyway it's very sketchy. How are you guys using IB handling the automatic log out?

I have a ATT Enterprise fiber connection it's the best of the best commercial internet. In fact I have a small family WISP business running off it so bandwidth is not a problem and my IP's are in the 12.xx.x.xx range so I am right on the backbone.

My problem is having a convoluted bunch of programs all running to mash something together that will be dependable. Between IB logging me out and MC losing my validated license at login it's all driving me nuts.

I was thinking maybe someone had CQG for data and order entry or TT possible could chime in, I would really like to use one of these at least I would not have to worry with data with either. Thank's for all the response.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 09 Aug 2018

Try using the IB gateway application rather than TWS. TWS will log you out. You should contact support and find out why you are losing your license on login. There may be something in the logs that will explain that. I don't have that problem. The only extra software I find useful is a tool that contacts external time servers to fix any clock drift. In the end, your strategy will dictate your requirements.

IB maybe annoying sometimes but it is a very complete solution for a wide range of trading. If you are going to trade futures then you have some alternative good options as well.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 09 Aug 2018

Try using the IB gateway application rather than TWS. TWS will log you out. You should contact support and find out why you are losing your license on login.
I have to research the IB gateway cause You are correct I am using TWS and I have never seen such sorry software.

As far a MC logging me out I think it's definitely their constant monitoring of your license, which seems like when the program hits it's maximum drawing object it goes nuts and pops up a red box.

I have tried to get a screen shot of it before the red box closes. It is very concerning this big brother red pop up box, seems to just happen when the program gets over loaded.

Thank for the tip about the IB gateway, I will dig into that.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 09 Aug 2018

Are you referring to the GDI limit? You can always start another instance of Multicharts and divide your charts between the two. Other traders here have mentioned issues with the licensing server. I have not had them. Traders do like to bash TWS and for good reason. There are some features that are great but it can be frustrating at times.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 09 Aug 2018

Are you referring to the GDI limit? You can always start another instance of Multicharts and divide your charts between the two. Other traders here have mentioned issues with the licensing server. I have not had them. Traders do like to bash TWS and for good reason. There are some features that are great but it can be frustrating at times.
TWS is so clunky it's unbelievable like 80's software. Their snapshot data seems clean anyway, if I can get it going with IB that would be great if not I will just keep trying.

GDI limit yea it's so strange I can open another MC but then you better be careful in the shut down process or you can lose your stuff depending on settings. Minor thing but that red box is VERY unsettling.

I hope to use the DOM in MC to do everything and then it will just be focusing on data nothing else. I would hate to use TS as a one stop solution.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 09 Aug 2018

IB "Gateway" is best for auto trading. Just go to their website and download their latest version.
IB "TWS" does an auto shutdown that is unavoidable.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 09 Aug 2018

Hi all autotraders,

IQFEED is the best quotes provader I know, but You will have many more ticks than with IB datafeed, first i use it but autotrading become not reliable because in tick by tick price are different.

I learn to use IB datafeed with IB gateway not easy less tick filtered datas but my PL code run better with less ticks, no CPU stress and better execution code !

first to debug your code you can use TWS, with it it's easy to control order execution price filled control sync of yourtrade with the broker.

After in production IB gateway is light and better for 24/24 , 5/7 use ...

please other autotraders advices ?

gpw797

Postby gpw797 » 16 Aug 2018

I trade using IB and Oanda and MC. The MC software is somewhat buggy and it has always been that way, so I keep a very close watch on things. Latest issue for me is the Oanda feed stops working in MC which is a disaster when autotrading. Definitely go with IB gateway over TWS if you don't need anything in TWS.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 17 Aug 2018

@ gpw797

I follow Multicharts for 8 years and they work better and better, they finally start listening to their customers, but only 4 autotraders with MC ?

i undestand now why MC is late in autotrading ...

SUPER

Re: ATTENTION AUTO TRADERS ? ANYONE?  [SOLVED]

Postby SUPER » 17 Aug 2018

Hi all autotraders,

IQFEED is the best quotes provader I know, but You will have many more ticks than with IB datafeed, first i use it but autotrading become not reliable because in tick by tick price are different.

I learn to use IB datafeed with IB gateway not easy less tick filtered datas but my PL code run better with less ticks, no CPU stress and better execution code !

first to debug your code you can use TWS, with it it's easy to control order execution price filled control sync of yourtrade with the broker.

After in production IB gateway is light and better for 24/24 , 5/7 use ...

please other autotraders advices ?
I followed your method of TWS to IB gateway almost 1 years back and have no issues with this combination.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 23 Aug 2018

I trade using IB and Oanda and MC. The MC software is somewhat buggy and it has always been that way, so I keep a very close watch on things. Latest issue for me is the Oanda feed stops working in MC which is a disaster when autotrading. Definitely go with IB gateway over TWS if you don't need anything in TWS.
so i finally got the ib controller working and multicharts chart and the dom all on ib!

now to flip the switch and see what all happens.

Return to “MultiCharts”