Scanner Days Back Setting  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
hughesfleming

Scanner Days Back Setting

Postby hughesfleming » 23 Aug 2018

It would be very useful if we could set a fixed date for the start date in addition to the days back setting. I have an indicator that is writing out values to a text file that I have applied to 50 stocks. If I set the days back setting to 500 for example, not all the text files end up with the same start date as you would expect.

Out of 50, 46 stocks have 479 entries with a start date of 20160928 but four have 488 with a start date of 20160915. Why is this inconsistent? These are all S&P100 stocks coming from Iqfeed. They should be the same.

You could create a chart for each one with a fixed start date and apply an indicator to each chart but at around 70 charts I run into GDI issues and have to open another instance of Multicharts. This is also unworkably slow if you need to change a setting. In the scanner, you can apply a change to all symbols which is very convenient but without a fixed start date it is difficult to use for some studies.

Alex

Anna MultiCharts

Re: Scanner Days Back Setting

Postby Anna MultiCharts » 24 Aug 2018

Hello, hughesfleming!

“It would be very useful if we could set a fixed date for the start date in addition to the days back setting” – I’m afraid there’re no plans for adding this functionality to the scanner. This limitation was introduced in order to restrict the machine’s resource consumption. The Scanner was designed for realtime data, not for history. If your indicators need to be calculated from a specific date, then you can add a corresponding condition in the code to start calculation from the required date.

“Out of 50, 46 stocks have 479 entries with a start date of 20160928 but four have 488 with a start date of 20160915” – if you use MultiCharts 11, then with the 500 days back data range holidays weren’t excluded, so the resulting number of days could be fewer. We enhanced this behavior in MultiCharts 12, and now only trading days are counted. More info here: viewtopic.php?t=51305
If you still have the same inconsistent data amounts in MultiCharts 12, please send us a workspace with Scanner that contains 2 symbols that receive different number of bars and the export of data for those symbols to support@multicharts.com so we could run tests.

hughesfleming

Re: Scanner Days Back Setting  [SOLVED]

Postby hughesfleming » 24 Aug 2018

Thanks Anna,

I will gives this a try again when I upgrade to Multicharts 12. If there are any issues with the number of bars I will send you all the details.

Kind regards,

Alex

Return to “MultiCharts”