Which Computer to Buy?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Shaman

Which Computer to Buy?

Postby Shaman » 09 Dec 2018

Dear developers!

Can you share the approximate timing of the release the Multicharts 13?
Will it provide full support for parallel computing of genetic optimization (acceleration of work due to multiple processor cores)?

hughesfleming

Re: Multicharts 13 - when?

Postby hughesfleming » 09 Dec 2018

It does now. What makes you think that it does not?

Alex

Shaman

search by word "Threadripper" on this forum

hughesfleming

It can already saturate 14 cores / 28 threads on my machine. I think you will need to explain yourself better.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Dec 2018

Dear developers!

Can you share the approximate timing of the release the Multicharts 13?
Will it provide full support for parallel computing of genetic optimization (acceleration of work due to multiple processor cores)?
Go to your TaskManager,

If you see only ONE core is used, the program is NOT doing parallel computing.

If you can see multiple cores are used, the program is doing parallel computing.

hughesfleming

TJ, the OP was asking if Multicharts is multithreaded for optimization. He seems to think that it isn't which is incorrect.

Shaman

It can already saturate 14 cores / 28 threads on my machine. I think you will need to explain yourself better.
Unfortunately, I do not know English very well. Please do a search in the forum at the word indicated by me and you will see that everything is not so good.

hughesfleming

Shaman for starters, welcome to the forum. For all practical purposes, optimization works well. Are you having a specific problem? I know what discussion you are referring to and it does help to know the details of how genetic optimization works. I am just letting you know that I am not having any issues optimizing strategies on a machine very similar to an AMD Threadripper. To say that everything is not good is misunderstanding the problem.

Kind regards,

Alex

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Dec 2018

Hyperthread, or virtual core, is ONLY useful for light-duty parallel processing.

Think of the CPU as the V-12 engine you have in your Ferrari.
What virtual-core does is to cut the engine in half so that you have two 6-cylinder engines.

You might have two engines,
but you will not have more power than the original V-12 engine.

Hyperthread, or virtual core, is ONLY useful for light-duty parallel processing.
When your optimization is saturating a real core, splitting the core will not speed up the processes.

hughesfleming

Threadripper is the name of an AMD CPU with 16 cores and 32 threads. What TJ is referring to is Hyper-threading.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 10 Dec 2018

Can someone please define all of these terms ?
1) hyper-threading
2) parallel-processing/computing
3) multi-threading
4) threads
5) cores

Shaman

Postby Shaman » 10 Dec 2018

I do not need it - I am not a scientific institute. I have a simple application question - does it make sense to buy AMD Ryzen Threadripper or not?

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 Dec 2018

I do not need it - I am not a scientific institute. I have a simple application question - does it make sense to buy AMD Ryzen Threadripper or not?

I always tell people -- Buy the most expensive computer you can AFFORD.

YMMV

Shaman

my computer is old enough and still need to upgrade. but I had previously read the answer / advice of developers on this forum - that with the current version of the program, the processor frequency is more important than the cores. so I want to understand which processor is better to take.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 10 Dec 2018

Multicore and multithread software is unfortunately application-software specific.
Code must be written for the specific multicore environment....i.e. AMD vs. INTEL.
Both can be supported, but that's a lot of work !!!

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 10 Dec 2018

@Shaman, the 2950X or the 2920X are very good choices. So are the new Intel 9900k and 9700k options which are eight core cpu's and cheaper. Keep in mind that you might not need to spend so much money. My actual automated trading is done on a basic four core server and Multicharts works perfectly. If I had to spend the money again, the Intel 9700k would be my top choice. You will only notice a difference with optimization.

Shaman

@Shaman, the 2950X or the 2920X are very good choices. So are the new Intel 9900k and 9700k options which are eight core cpu's and cheaper. Keep in mind that you might not need to spend so much money. My actual automated trading is done on a basic four core server and Multicharts works perfectly. If I had to spend the money again, the Intel 9700k would be my top choice. You will only notice a difference with optimization.

My trading goes through a rental server! home computer - to optimize strategies.
thanks for the information! I have always been a strong supporter of Intel processors. But after reading about the new AMD processors, I realized that I was ready to change - to speed up the calculations. so I want to understand which processor is better for this. I come home late from my first job and for me it’s critical to speed up the productivity of my evening work in search of grail. :)

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 18 Dec 2018

My trading goes through a rental server! home computer - to optimize strategies.
thanks for the information! I have always been a strong supporter of Intel processors. But after reading about the new AMD processors, I realized that I was ready to change - to speed up the calculations. so I want to understand which processor is better for this. I come home late from my first job and for me it’s critical to speed up the productivity of my evening work in search of grail. :)
Dude - Wake-Up and "get real"......
Multicharts has to spend great time and effort to support each processor's chipset and calculation platform.
AFAIK....they only support Intel....but I am unsure of which specific chipset.
So far I've been very happy with my old quad-core Intel i7-4600M quad core processor.
Multicharts rarely hits 25% CPU with ES/NQ in realtime using IQFeed with 200 tick charts.
Albeit, my signals and indicators are not that "heavy".....right now.
This is a hugely complex topic.....somewhat like an Einstein-like debate.

Shaman

Postby Shaman » 18 Dec 2018

So far I've been very happy with my old quad-core Intel i7-4600M quad core processor.
thanks for the information! I have an i-7 2600K 3.4 GHz. Here I think on what to upgrade. It is a pity there is no reference example on the forum for measuring different processors at the time of optimization ;)

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Dec 2018

thanks for the information! I have an i-7 2600K 3.4 GHz. Here I think on what to upgrade. It is a pity there is no reference example on the forum for measuring different processors at the time of optimization ;)
All you need is this benchmark
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Shaman

Postby Shaman » 19 Dec 2018

perhaps I did not understand you. My English is bad. trading - too. :(
I have several strategies. To evaluate them, I need to backtest and optimize (parameters). because of the main job (full time) my time for searching for grails is limited. It's easier for me to buy a more powerful processor — to keep up with more strategies in limited time.

Unfortunately, I like to do a lot of parameters in strategies (although I know that it is better to be simpler). therefore, with all my love for a complete search of options (Exhaustive), I have to use genetic optimization. the problem is that in this forum there is information that it does not work correctly with the cores (everything is very complicated and ambiguous there). Therefore, I am looking for a processor that will work most quickly in MultiCharts. General public benchmarking is not indicative - due to the problem described above with parallel discoveries in MultiCharts.

Therefore, if there was one test strategy for all to measure the speed of optimization miscalculation, it would be possible to compare the time spent working MultiCharts Genetic Optimization Metod with it on different processors that the participants of this forum use.

hughesfleming

Postby hughesfleming » 19 Dec 2018

@Shamen, get the fastest machine you can. It takes me three hours to optimize a few parameters on my portfolio strategy using 14 cores / 28 threads. It is a waste of time to try to do it on a four core machine. For trading, four cores work fine. Ignore the argument about Intel/AMD. They both work fine.

Shaman

Postby Shaman » 19 Dec 2018

@Shamen, get the fastest machine you can. It takes me three hours to optimize a few parameters on my portfolio strategy using 14 cores / 28 threads. It is a waste of time to try to do it on a four core machine. For trading, four cores work fine. Ignore the argument about Intel/AMD. They both work fine.
Thank you very much!

filippo.milano

Postby filippo.milano » 29 Oct 2019

Hi guy, i have to buy a new computer and i don't if to buy an I9 9900k or an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X. Please could you tell me an advise? Thanks in advance for your help

Filippo

Shaman

Re: Which Computer to Buy?

Postby Shaman » 30 Nov 2019

video not available

TJ

Re: Which Computer to Buy?

Postby TJ » 30 Nov 2019

video not available
The video was too sensitive; they have withdrawn it. :(

Return to “MultiCharts”