Only 4 months of IB data in MC?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Only 4 months of IB data in MC?

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 May 2019

Update: My 2nd post indicates I solved it on my own and it has a check I have to do each day to prevent having all my data backups becoming corrupt on me without realizing it.

Hi,

In the (minute bars chart data Range setting) for a stock in the scanner work space I normally have a setting of 520 bars. I have this same setting for 30 minute, 15 min, 5 min and 1 min bars, I have about 65 stock symbols in the scanner. However for each symbol I have a special work space where I have a much larger (minute bars chart data Range setting) of about 100,000. I would often want to go back and analyse data much farther back in time and the data was there in these special work spaces for each symbol. As far as I understand it should go back to 6 months before I opened my account with Interactive Brokers because MultiCharts is suppose to be saving this data to its files each time I close MultCharts down at days end. The big project that has been distracting me from trading is finished now so (for the first time in maybe 6 months or more) about 10 minutes ago I opened up one of these special work spaces and I find I am getting only 4 months of data. I reopened my account with Interactive Brokers about 2 years ago and I have been running MC most days under the assumption that this would collect the data in the MC files (recently I did not run it for a few weeks). So I am wondering why all of a sudden I don't have at least 2 years of data. My understanding is as long as I open up the scanner at least every 6 months MC should fill out all the charts and save the data to its files. Has something changed here? I just checked IB's data on the Multicharts website and it says 1 year back (even more than I remember).

I just added an image of my data server settings. I have had this setting the whole time.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
John
Attachments
DataServeSettings.png
(34.39 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 15 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Re: Only 4 months of IB data in MC?  [SOLVED]

Postby bowlesj3 » 15 May 2019

It appears at this point that the database got corrupt based upon what I did as explained in the paragraph below. The 3rd paragraph suggests that the problem is solved. I will test a few more key stocks and if they can all show all the data I will mark this thread as solved. I just created a popup in my MS-access program I use to help me out with trading. This popup reminds me to check these special work spaces to ensure I can see all the data. The idea is doing backups alone is not good enough. I need to check the data so I do not clobber my cycle of 7 backup files. It is tempting to go back to a 1 month cycle like I use to use.

I deleted the current database files and I reloaded an old database backup from 2018/November/01. I then opened a single stock work space rather than open the scanner work space. It appears at first that it may have fixed the problem since I can go back at least a year. I am currently setting the 30 minute bars to go back well beyond when I opened my account with "Days Back" rather than "Bars Back" to see if I can get all the data.

Good news: I set one stock to 1000 days back and all the data from when I opened the account is there for at least one stock.

Return to “MultiCharts”