MultiCharts 14.0 Release

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Svetlana MultiCharts

MultiCharts 14.0 Release

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 14 Oct 2020

MultiCharts 14.0 Release is available for download now (64-bit build 20935)!

Featuring Fail-Watch system, Volume Profile drawing, Historical Data Downloader, Self-Adaptive Trading, Strategy Orders Monitor, Quadl data feed, and many other improvements!

Check our blog for the complete list of all new features and improvements in this version.

>>> Go to MultiCharts 14.0 Release download page <<<

jek

Re: MultiCharts 14.0 Release - symbol linking local instance?

Postby jek » 17 Oct 2020

Looks like a nice release!

One question about symbol linking to "local instance".

What do you mean by "instance"?

I've been hoping that this means "workspace" - does it?

eegroup

Re: MultiCharts 14.0 Release

Postby eegroup » 18 Oct 2020

Can the MC 14.0 Release be installed as an independent instance from MC 12.0, like we were able to do with the MC 14.0 Beta Releases? Or does MC 14.0 completely replace MC 12.0, once MC 14.0 is installed?

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 20 Oct 2020

Can the MC 14.0 Release be installed as an independent instance from MC 12.0, like we were able to do with the MC 14.0 Beta Releases? Or does MC 14.0 completely replace MC 12.0, once MC 14.0 is installed?
Apparently it upgrades MC12 install to MC14. If you're familiar with Hyper-V in Windows 10 you can install MC on a VM in order to have both versions independently.

[Edit] You can also install both 32bit and 64bit versions of MC on same PC, they will be independent.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 20 Oct 2020

When will MC14 be rolled-out to the FCM's/Brokers ?

SP

Postby SP » 20 Oct 2020

The chart no longer shows the limit prices of the executed order although "Price and Type" is on "Visible" at "Historical Orders". It only shows the type "Limit".
Attachments
Chart.jpg
(131.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

wzero

Postby wzero » 20 Oct 2020

MultiCharts.NET.14.0.20947.400_Release_x64 is still buggy. I have to roll back to MC12.NET. The issues are
- Symbol link randomly broken.
- Study randomly error after change symbol by .csy command line.
Last edited by wzero on 31 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 21 Oct 2020

MultiCharts.NET.14.0.20947.400_Release_x64 is still buggy. I have to roll back to MC12.NET. The issues are
- Symbol link randomly broken.
- Study randomly error after change symbol by .csy command line.
Two things:
1) that .NET version is still in Beta
2) why post here ?....there is a separate forum for .NET issues

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 22 Oct 2020

1) that .NET version is still in Beta
No that .NET version is really the release of MultiCharts .NET 14. :) It was announced on the blog.
2) why post here ?....there is a separate forum for .NET issues
Valid question. I can't answer it, but MultiCharts .NET 14 didn't get a release topic from MultiCharts Support. So the 'MultiCharts 14.0 Release' topic seems to be the only one to give feedback on version 14 Release.

Applecabi

Postby Applecabi » 26 Oct 2020

In MC 12 it is possible to run a second MC on different PC for offline backtesting mode with the same license by changing the proxy setting. For MC 14 how could I do this as I could not find the proxy setting by clicking the green box and the Rt lower corner of the screen? I would like to test MC 14 offline to get familiar with the new function at the same time trading live with MC 12 on another PC.
Thanks in advance !

AndyB72

Postby AndyB72 » 27 Oct 2020

Hello ! Since I updated MC to 14, I have a lot of yellow popups (see screenshot)

https://monosnap.com/file/afN0T6a05Xbxf ... kd206R8suD

In version 12 I unchecked the option (see screenshot) and solved it, but in version 14 the popups continue to appear. Every time I enter the VPS I have to close about 30-50 popups.

https://monosnap.com/file/eAaytCPi1bbY2 ... 6JdFp0Gk4n

Could you help me ?

jimm88

Postby jimm88 » 29 Oct 2020

I have a lot of pop ups main concern since update is whether it is range bar or time based the charts lag severely started with NQ now all YM/ES etc. DOM stays up i have another feed on another platform no issues that is IQ feed the multicharts works off CQG ?
any help would be appreciated

jek

Postby jek » 31 Oct 2020

... symbol linking to "local instance".
Could you please update the wiki here to make it clear?
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... on_Linking

Thanks!

masterchanger

Postby masterchanger » 05 Nov 2020

I appreciate the additional features and obvious work that went into the upgrade, but I use Portfolio Trader to forward test large numbers of systems (over 100) and never had a problem with running out memory with previous versions. I have I-7 with 32gigs of ram and frequently had memory creep where memory requirement would grow throughout the day resulting in portfolio trader causing system to lockup from no available memory left. This never occurred prior to MC version 14. I had to rollback to previous versions and hope in time I can again attempt to upgrade in the future.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 06 Nov 2020

Hi Jek,

Instance is a desktop, that can be opened by double click on MultiCharts icon.

Svetlana MultiCharts

When will MC14 be rolled-out to the FCM's/Brokers ?
Hi syswizard,

Could you please describe what you mean in more details?

Svetlana MultiCharts

The chart no longer shows the limit prices of the executed order although "Price and Type" is on "Visible" at "Historical Orders". It only shows the type "Limit".
Hi SP,

We are going to include the improvement in the next release.

Svetlana MultiCharts

Postby Svetlana MultiCharts » 13 Nov 2020

In MC 12 it is possible to run a second MC on different PC for offline backtesting mode with the same license by changing the proxy setting. For MC 14 how could I do this as I could not find the proxy setting by clicking the green box and the Rt lower corner of the screen? I would like to test MC 14 offline to get familiar with the new function at the same time trading live with MC 12 on another PC.
Thanks in advance !
Hi Applecabi,

Currently it is not possible to run your MultiCharts license offline on one computer and online on another computer at the same time. We are going to issue a separate product for offline usage by MultiCharts 14 Release 2.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Nov 2020

Hi,

Am I correct in assuming "MC version 14.0" is release 1? Will I know it is release 3 when it says 14.3?

Thanks,
John
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 16 Nov 2020, edited 1 time in total.

dahmen walter

Postby dahmen walter » 14 Nov 2020

Currently it is not possible to run your MultiCharts license offline on one computer and online on another computer at the same time. We are going to issue a separate product for offline usage by MultiCharts 14 Release 2.
Hi,

would MC 14 live and MC 12 offline work as of now?

Thanks for clarification

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 16 Nov 2020

Hi,

I am quite surprised to discover that one cannot install MC12 anymore !

Unfortunately MC14 is not stable enough (yet) to make the move... so we are left with no solution :? :x
Attachments
MC12.png
(12.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 16 Nov 2020

Unfortunately MC14 is not stable enough (yet) to make the move... so we are left with no solution :? :x
It sounds like my question above about 14.0 versus 14.3 is extra important. Years ago I had to roll back once or twice. Don't get me wrong. I think MC 64 is the best TA software in existence even though I don't use the auto-trading stuff. I wish I could use it.

wzero

Postby wzero » 16 Nov 2020

Is this true? I still can install and run MC.NET 12 R14 without problem.
MC.NET 14 is unstable, I have to rollback to MC.NET 12.
Hi,

I am quite surprised to discover that one cannot install MC12 anymore !

Mydesign

Postby Mydesign » 17 Nov 2020

Yes, apparently you can re-install and run MC12 on a PC that already had MC installed previously (same ID). But I needed to switch to a new VPS provider for my live trading hosting, and here we are: I can install MC12 but I CANNOT run it, despite restoring my valid licence credentials ! :evil:

CrazyNasdaq

Postby CrazyNasdaq » 17 Nov 2020

Yes, apparently you can re-install and run MC12 on a PC that already had MC installed previously (same ID). But I needed to switch to a new VPS provider for my live trading hosting, and here we are: I can install MC12 but I CANNOT run it, despite restoring my valid licence credentials ! :evil:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we can validate only one PC and not anymore one instance at time, so if you have validated MC 12 in one PC, you can NOT install MC 12 in a second PC without uninstall it from the previous. It's not about working online/offline, but working in that specific PC. Probably the new logic of licence verification is about the PC and not the Live instance and to convalidate the new PC you have to uninstall it form the prevous PC.
That's my opinion about the new logic

Mydesign

Clarifications from MC fellows are definitely required !

Probably the new logic of licence verification is about the PC and not the Live instance and to convalidate the new PC you have to uninstall it form the prevous PC.
If so... then that would mean we cannot even have a backup PC ready to switch on in case of hardware failure ? :shock:

Salzburg

Postby Salzburg » 17 Nov 2020

I believe changing licence structure and rules for people that already have bought the software on licence terms valid at the time of purchase is not really cool. Yes changing license structure for new purchases of the software thats all good. What is worse is the fact that people have to find out about the changes to their existing license in a forum.

I would argue that this licence change structure for old purchasers, is not really a good and thought trough decision

Mydesign

Update: MC staff helped me by unlocking my new MC12 install.

For those interested, here's the deal: "It happens when MultiCharts 12 is installed on a computer with a UserID that hasn't been used, as trials are not issued for outdated versions."

Benster

Postby Benster » 18 Nov 2020

This post is just for information for other users. MC are working on this bug, which I couldn't see elsewhere in the forums.

Optimization results are lost from the chart if the instrument is changed. For example changing the start date of the instrument. If the code is recompiled then every optimization table on every chart is lost. I've reconstructed some of my worksheets through OneDrive versioning. The optimization results are also written to Documents which is useful for recovery.

For my own research purposes I'll use MC12 until this but is fixed. It is possible to roll back to MC12 which I did with some links provided by support.

CrazyNasdaq

Postby CrazyNasdaq » 19 Nov 2020

Historical Data Downloader has many bugs yet. Since today, times on which it hangs and blocks the entire platform vs. times it works correctly are in favour of it hangs and blocks the digital right managments and the entire platform. I've 11 symbols requested in that symol list for only 4 days.
It does NOT perform as it should.
2020-11-19_15-27-07.jpg
(135.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2020-11-19_15-33-50.jpg
(198.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 19 Nov 2020

big bug in build 14

when mc freezes up on me and the screen goes white because it can't pull data in from ts. kill mc and now EVER time it will shut down the ts data server and then eventually ts charting will have to be shut down also.

so what i am saying is when mc crashes it shuts down ts also - it never did that before.

m

ps please leave ts alone do not interfere with it running just because you can't load data on a chart.

have another suggestion you need a KILL PROCESS option when it takes forever to load a chart.
Last edited by Mark Brown on 19 Nov 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 19 Nov 2020

It sounds like my question above about 14.0 versus 14.3 is extra important. Years ago I had to roll back once or twice. Don't get me wrong. I think MC 64 is the best TA software in existence even though I don't use the auto-trading stuff. I wish I could use it.

i hear ya on the auto trading mc is not reliable at all and don't think they will ever be able to fix it either. at not for us who own stand alone charting packages, they maybe able to get an all in one broker / data thing to run like cqg or tt don't know, i'm not up keep trying after having so many mistakes.

fede.adv

Postby fede.adv » 01 Dec 2020

Hello,
I've installed the latest release of MC, a lot of "warnings" and pop up appear ...
Here is a message about the "Auto Trading Engine timeout" with an overload as possible reason (my PC is running as usual)
I have only one chart loaded with a strategy that never caused this delay with the old versions.
Immagine MC performance.png
PC Performance
(31.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Immagine MC Trading.png
MC Warning
(18.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet

masterchanger

Postby masterchanger » 01 Dec 2020

Hi,
I don't know if it never caused a delay or the actual reason for it but you likely weren't notified of it or it was buried in the logs.
I don't doubt the delay, the impact of which will depend on timeframe of strategy but i think its good to know.
If I were doing a live screen recording I wouldn't want that popup there.

Good Trading

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 01 Dec 2020

Hi,
I don't know if it never caused a delay or the actual reason for it but you likely weren't notified of it or it was buried in the logs.
I don't doubt the delay, the impact of which will depend on timeframe of strategy but i think its good to know.
If I were doing a live screen recording I wouldn't want that popup there.

Good Trading
i am sick and tired of the alert popup boxes - provide a way to disable all that junk - it's crazy these boxes just tell me your software needs work.

janus

Postby janus » 01 Dec 2020

I am sick and tired of the alert popup boxes - provide a way to disable all that junk - it's crazy these boxes just tell me your software needs work.
I actually see that as a good thing. The more feedback MC get from the real world users the better. It alerts MC support to fix issues that would otherwise not be possible to detect using their own tests.

janus

Postby janus » 01 Dec 2020

I presume they can be run at the same time if the computer running MC in offline mode is actually not connected to the internet in the first place. Right? It's an easy workaround.

jek

Postby jek » 01 Dec 2020

Hi Jek,

Instance is a desktop, that can be opened by double click on MultiCharts icon.
That is very unfortunate. I would much prefer that links were able to local to a workspace. Having to create a different desktop for every workspace in order to ensure that they don't mess each other up requires a lot of work.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 02 Dec 2020

I actually see that as a good thing. The more feedback MC get from the real world users the better. It alerts MC support to fix issues that would otherwise not be possible to detect using their own tests.
Actually I think Mark is right on this....rule of thumb: always provide the users an option....EVEN TO THEIR PERIL.
It's their decision after all.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 02 Dec 2020

So can we downgrade back to v12? Can I run the MC12r13.exe that I have saved and it'll downgrade from 14 to 12 or do I have to uninstall 14 and do a clean install of 12? I'd really prefer not to have to do a clean install and set up everything all over again.

I'm having the problem of charts/datafeed stopping (though my DOMs keep working) as described here: viewtopic.php?t=52778

Since then I've tried fully disabling Avast (adding exceptions didn't seem to help) before starting MC14 and the problem occurred about 45 min after starting MC14. Others are having the same problem with different feeds so doesn't seem to be a feed provider-specific issue. Something is interrupting the data streams in charts and time&sales but not DOMs??

I knew I should've waited longer before upgrading to 14.

syswizard

Postby syswizard » 02 Dec 2020

Since then I've tried fully disabling Avast (adding exceptions didn't seem to help) before starting MC14 and the problem occurred about 45 min after starting MC14. Others are having the same problem with different feeds so doesn't seem to be a feed provider-specific issue. Something is interrupting the data streams in charts and time&sales but not DOMs??
I knew I should've waited longer before upgrading to 14.
Dude, you've got set-up problems. I've been solid with IQFeed as the data source from the first beta release of MC 14-64 bit. No problems whatsoever in the initial production release as well.

janus

Postby janus » 02 Dec 2020

Dude, you've got set-up problems. I've been solid with IQFeed as the data source from the first beta release of MC 14-64 bit. No problems whatsoever in the initial production release as well.
Are you using Avast? I was and it was causing problems not with older versions of MC (I haven't yet upgraded to v14) but with IB. Like others adding to the exception list didn't always help. So I dumped Avast and went to another anti-virus software package and problem solved. However, just uninstalling Avast (business version) wasn't enough. I had to download a special Avast uninstaller utility to remove all remnants.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 02 Dec 2020

All I did was run the mc14.exe like I did with every upgrade to install over the previous version. I've never uninstalled the previous versions to do the upgrades. My setup is whatever is was when I was using MC12. As soon as I upgraded it stopped charting within minutes. I assumed it just needed a restart from the upgrade but that didn't solve anything. Fully disabling my antivirus didn't help.

I saw another thread about license issues (viewtopic.php?t=52770). I checked mine and it shows the updated info "Multicharts std classic" and lists a few new features so the update appears to have worked without hangups when I ran the .exe file.

I haven't had a single instance of MC working well without this issue since upgrading about a week ago. Sometimes it stops 2 min after starting MC14, most have been 30-45 min. 7 min duration right before I typed this post. 3-4 hours was the longest and that was one time.

I check task manager to wait for all MC processes to close (saving data to local storage takes longer than before, just as an aside). Sometimes I restart the PC just to clear everything out but doesn't help.

Would running the mc12 install file undo the MC14 stuff? Are there any logs that would show what is interrupting the incoming data? The DOMs keep working so the data is still being allowed in for that.

I disabled Avast to not run and that didn't help. MC12 ran with Avast but MC14 won't? Avast isn't flagging anything.

janus

Postby janus » 02 Dec 2020

I disabled Avast to not run and that didn't help. MC12 ran with Avast but MC14 won't? Avast isn't flagging anything.
I haven't upgraded to MC14 yet but a couple of other apps I've upgraded (IB is one of them) ended up having issues even with Avast disabled. After doing some research I discovered other Avast users were having issues too with their software, including in some cases with Windows 10 itself. So I decided to dump Avast, did a clean uninstall with their utility and use another anti-virus program, and my issues went away. Coincidence? I don't believe in them. I suggest you uninstall Avast (make sure you also use their downloadable clean uninstall utility) and try again. If you still have issues then you can re-install Avast otherwise look for an alternative anti-virus package.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 03 Dec 2020

I'm on Win7 64bit if that matters.

Fair point about reinstalling Avast if the problem doesn't go away after uninstalling it. I'd rather do a clean Avast reinstall than MC14 clean install. I hated AVG being a resource hog so that's out. What antivirus did you use that worked out?

janus

Postby janus » 03 Dec 2020

I'm on Win7 64bit if that matters.

Fair point about reinstalling Avast if the problem doesn't go away after uninstalling it. I'd rather do a clean Avast reinstall than MC14 clean install. I hated AVG being a resource hog so that's out. What antivirus did you use that worked out?
Avast and AVG are virtually the same because Avast owns AVG.

I use Norton on some devices and McAfee on others. I prefer the former but the latter is fine. I have found both had issues a long time ago (over 20 years ago for Norton and some 10 years ago for McAfee) but they are now very stable and reliable.

hmouta

Fully deleting Avast didn't appear to help. I didn't install a new antivirus and WinDefender is still shut off. My charting lasted about 5 min before stopping.

This time I noticed something I don't think has happened in the past week. About a half hour after freezing (when I noticed things weren't streaming), my ram usage had increased from a typical 5ish gb to over 16gb. I can tell this was gradual increase, not instant spike (via MSI afterburner hardware monitor). I only have 16gb. I hardly go over 9-10gb with firefox open and watching youtube with MC running).

tsServer.exe was the process with the ram going nuts. I was looking at cpu/ram usage for MC and Avast after I upgraded to MC14 last week and saw nothing unusual when the charts would stop. The massive ram increase seems like a first time thing today after I deleted Avast (used avastclear.exe in safe mode)

what does tsServer.exe do? Is my CQG data somehow not being "released" by tsServer.exe

janus

what does tsServer.exe do? Is my CQG data somehow not being "released" by tsServer.exe
Looks like you might have a crook system. When I suspect something is odd I run various diagnostics. First I would check if the hard drive, CPU and memory are OK. There are various good tools out there. My favourites for hard rives are HDSentinel and Seagate SeaTools but I hear HDDScan is good. In the past I ended up with a corrupted hard drive but I didn't recognise it until it was too late and the hard drive failed. I bought a new drive and restored everything from a backup but it still behaved oddly but manageable. I put it down to a corrupt system somewhere but didn't pursue it for long as I decided to buy a new computer.
If all the hardware is OK then not sure what else you can do other than re-install everything to do with MC and your data feed app.

Mark Brown

Postby Mark Brown » 03 Dec 2020

i have dtn on demo now so my history is limited, even so tick data comes in fine but minute and daily data i only get a few bars. i hope this is not another mc bug? hopefully its a dtn demo bug..

hmouta

What a pain this update has turned in to. I ran some diagnostics a few months ago and all was good. I'll recheck that stuff.

I run a samsung 850pro ssd as my primary and clone to an HDD daily with Casper. I can try booting off the HDD to see what happens. I haven't cloned to it after deleting Avast. I guess I can see if there will be a problem on that HDD with Avast still installed and with MC14 on it. I've cloned to the HDD since upgrading to MC14.

I wish MC had a window cloning feature like ToS. I hate having to recreate windows from scratch over and over when most of them are identical except for different tickers or time frames. It's why I dread having to do a clean reinstall. I guess I know what I'm doing for the weekend.

janus

i have dtn on demo now so my history is limited, even so tick data comes in fine but minute and daily data i only get a few bars. i hope this is not another mc bug? hopefully its a dtn demo bug..
I have no issues with DTN minute data although on a few rare occasions I find an occasional minute data missing all the ticks. I think it only happens when I try to update the tick data over a week for several instruments at the same time. Ever since I started downloading one instrument at a time the issue hasn't as yet come back.

janus

I wish MC had a window cloning feature like ToS. I hate having to recreate windows from scratch over and over when most of them are identical except for different tickers or time frames. It's why I dread having to do a clean reinstall. I guess I know what I'm doing for the weekend.
Welcome to crappy Windows. I use VMWare to test things on a clean Windows environment. You can download a free copy of Windows 10 development environment in VMWare, and other formats from MS here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... -machines/

MAZINGUER

Postby MAZINGUER » 05 Dec 2020

I haven't upgraded to MC14 yet but a couple of other apps I've upgraded (IB is one of them) ended up having issues even with Avast disabled. After doing some research I discovered other Avast users were having issues too with their software, including in some cases with Windows 10 itself. So I decided to dump Avast, did a clean uninstall with their utility and use another anti-virus program, and my issues went away. Coincidence? I don't believe in them. I suggest you uninstall Avast (make sure you also use their downloadable clean uninstall utility) and try again. If you still have issues then you can re-install Avast otherwise look for an alternative anti-virus package.
I don't understand why people add another antivirus to Windows 10, when it has an antivuris as standard ... the Windows Defender, which does everything that any other antivirus does.
Having two Antivirus, in addition to slowing down the computer, can become incompatible with each other ...
For normal use, without entering strange sites and without downloading from unreliable sites, with windows defender it is more than enough
I have been working only on windows defender for years and I have never had problems
Regards

janus

Postby janus » 05 Dec 2020

I don't understand why people add another antivirus to Windows 10, when it has an antivuris as standard ... the Windows Defender, which does everything that any other antivirus does.
Having two Antivirus, in addition to slowing down the computer, can become incompatible with each other ...
For normal use, without entering strange sites and without downloading from unreliable sites, with windows defender it is more than enough
I have been working only on windows defender for years and I have never had problems
Regards
Thanks for your useless commentary. It doesn't help any of us.

MAZINGUER

Postby MAZINGUER » 05 Dec 2020

Regards
Thanks for your useless commentary. It doesn't help any of us.
Don't speak for everyone ... not everyone has their intelligence cut short.
Antivirus may cause some .DELL files not to be downloaded when installing MC or updating. Therefore, it is advisable to disconnect the antivirus before updating or installing.

janus

Postby janus » 06 Dec 2020

Antivirus may cause some .DELL files not to be downloaded when installing MC or updating. Therefore, it is advisable to disconnect the antivirus before updating or installing.
That I agree with. You other post in effect sounded like people were stupid for having an anti-virus package on top of what comes by default with W10. I and many others would hotly disagree with that for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here since it's not relevant to the discussion thread.

MAZINGUER

Postby MAZINGUER » 06 Dec 2020

That I agree with. You other post in effect sounded like people were stupid for having an anti-virus package on top of what comes by default with W10. I and many others would hotly disagree with that for a number of reasons, which I won't go into here since it's not relevant to the discussion thread.
According to MC wiki, you can right click on MC shortcut and select "open file location" option. Then find the DataUpdater.exe file and run it

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... or_message

dahmen walter

Postby dahmen walter » 06 Dec 2020

Yesterday installed version 14,

BUG for Desktops opening:
Opening of desktops containing a blank inside the path is no longer working - version 14 does not handle the path to users\FirstName BLANK LastName - these can only be opened via explorer doubleclick

I am not able to find a working description for quantl instruments use - long waiting the API key is finally shown but no exchanges are visible and no instruments can be added. Any link or a video on how to handle this data source - or is the API key only working with premium or not on weekends?

janus

Postby janus » 06 Dec 2020

According to MC wiki, you can right click on MC shortcut and select "open file location" option. Then find the DataUpdater.exe file and run it

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... or_message
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember it when I install MC14 in case I have issues.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 07 Dec 2020

I decided to try a few minor things instead of reinstalling MC. They didn't work.

Today I lost chart streaming after 13 min and 24 min. All processes close in task manager before I restart MC. I watched tsServer.exe in task manager for memory usage since it went through the roof the other day. While the charts were working, the memory usage was around 250mb. It was 243mb when MC started and would go up a bit to 244,xxx K then drop back to 243,xxx. It slowly worked up to 250mb (a little bit up, a little bit down). As soon as the chart streaming froze, tsServer.exe started to go up and only up. It went from 250 to 259 instantly. I let it go for a short while and shut down when it was around 600mb. If I had let MC stay open, I can see how it would've maxed out my 16gb ram like it did the other day.

What does tsServer.exe do? Why does it go up as soon as charting/time&sales stops. Is the data being built up in a cache and not released or something? Can I do a tsServer.exe MC14-specific update to avoid a full reinstall?

I was looking at tsServer.exe in the task manager resource monitor. Some of the "handles" were linked to "firebird". I noticed this firebird folder in the ProgramData folder the other day. I don't recall it always being there (maybe it's always been present and I never noticed). Is "firebird" a new thing with MC14? What does "firebird" do?

Avast is still uninstalled and WinDefender is disabled. I've never run both at the same time. I use one antivirus at a time.

When MC14 was running normal my total system ram usage was around 3.66gb-ish, which is in line with normal MC12 usage.

Does MC14 process incoming datastreams differently than MC12? In the past if I've lost a data connection, it would say CQG is disconnected in the Logs tab under Order&Position Tracker window. The current issue isn't showing a data disconnect in Logs when the problem happens.

janus

Postby janus » 07 Dec 2020

I decided to try a few minor things instead of reinstalling MC. They didn't work.
I would use VMWare to run a W10 development environment as I alluded to before to see if you can replicate the same issue without any of your apps, and if no issue then install one app at a time to see what breaks it, if any.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 07 Dec 2020

I would use VMWare to run a W10 development environment as I alluded to before to see if you can replicate the same issue without any of your apps, and if no issue then install one app at a time to see what breaks it, if any.
Don't you have to buy VMWare? I get what you're saying but a clean install of MC14 might take me less time (assuming the problem goes away). I'd then have to reinstall each one of my programs to see if the problem starts up due to a conflict. Isn't that basically doing a full Windows install and all the programs I have, just in a virtual setting? If I have to do a clean MC install on the w10 VMWare setup, I might as well do it on my current win7 machine. Your suggestion is definitely a good troubleshooting option.

So I'd install VMWare on my Win7 PC then within VMWare install the W10 dev env, like running it in a sandbox? Won't I need another MC license?

Since none of this was happening before MC14 I was trying to see what changed that could cause the conflict to address it directly. If charts stop getting data and my data connection doesn't show a disconnection and tsServer.exe memory starts going up and up, what processes could be involved in this? I was hoping knowing how these processes are handled by MC14 could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting.

janus

Postby janus » 08 Dec 2020

Don't you have to buy VMWare?
VMWare Workstation is free for non-commercial use. W10 development environment is free to download from MS as VMware image and others. No licence needed but after a certain period it expires but still runs then shuts down by itself after a reasonable period. Just download a new version to avoid that. As for MC, it can be run as a trial version or use your existing licence to avoid it expiring (or reload the trial version after downloading another W10 image). As you said you can try to do a fresh install of MC14 to see if it helps.

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 08 Dec 2020

I appreciate the additional features and obvious work that went into the upgrade, but I use Portfolio Trader to forward test large numbers of systems (over 100) and never had a problem with running out memory with previous versions. I have I-7 with 32gigs of ram and frequently had memory creep where memory requirement would grow throughout the day resulting in portfolio trader causing system to lockup from no available memory left. This never occurred prior to MC version 14. I had to rollback to previous versions and hope in time I can again attempt to upgrade in the future.
Hello masterchanger,

Please send us the following files to our support address so that we would be able to investigate the issue:
1. The Portfolio Trader workspace where the issue is reproduced.
2. The exported scripts with all dependent functions that are used on the workspace.
3. Export of used symbols (with data) from QuoteManager in .qmd archive.

If possible, please reproduce the issue in MultiCharts 14. When the issue is reproduced, please send us logs and dumps using the Feedback application. You can access it through Windows Start Menu -> MultiCharts folder -> Feedback. In the Feedback window please select:
Attach a screenshot;
Attach Log files…;
Attach minidumps…;
Upload collected data to help desk; and click Send.

As soon as we receive the requested files, the engineers will study the case and we will get in touch with you when we have any feedback from them.

Kate MultiCharts

Postby Kate MultiCharts » 08 Dec 2020

Hello ! Since I updated MC to 14, I have a lot of yellow popups (see screenshot)

https://monosnap.com/file/afN0T6a05Xbxf ... kd206R8suD

In version 12 I unchecked the option (see screenshot) and solved it, but in version 14 the popups continue to appear. Every time I enter the VPS I have to close about 30-50 popups.

https://monosnap.com/file/eAaytCPi1bbY2 ... 6JdFp0Gk4n

Could you help me ?
Hello Andy,

We are going to fix it in one of the future releases. Thank you for your patience!

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 09 Dec 2020

Well, a clean install didn't work. Lasted about 40 min before chart/t&s stopped streaming. DOM continues to work. Once things stop, tsServer.exe memory usage keeps going up. I'm looking at it now go up. If I keep MC14 open, tsServer.exe will eventually max out my system's 16gb RAM, as it's done twice now because I wasn't paying attention.

What does tsServer.exe do? Is it getting clogged up with incoming data?

I still have no antivirus. Didn't reinstall Avast or anything else. Windefender is still (and always has been) disabled. I uninstalled Avast with the Avast uninstall utility in safe mode, then looked for remnants with Revo uninstaller. I cleaned registry with ccleaner after. I did a thorough uninstall of MC and followed a similar process. I didn't import my old tick data yet, just to leave that variable out.

I opened a DOM, t&s, and a chart window. I didn't rebuild all my previous chart windows yet. I added nothing to the chart window. Default chart window for the ES and thats it. Order&Position Tracker/Logs still shows connected to CQG. My PC today was using about 3GB RAM with MC14 running for the 40 minutes. When I started typing this, system RAM was about 5GB. It's now about 6.4GB. tsServer.exe when I looked (after I noticed the freeze) had gone up from 1GB to 2.5GB when I done typing this (1GB was already an increase since I wasn't paying attention prior.

This has been happening for about two weeks. I can't keep playing around with this and going through countless install iterations. Can I still install MC12r13 with the installer I have saved? Will the .exe still work? I'll uninstall MC14 first.

tsServer.exe at 2.9GB now, system RAM at 6.9GB and climbing. In the time I took to read my post's preview, tsServer.exe is at 3.4gb, RAM at 7.5GB

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 09 Dec 2020

Don't you have to buy VMWare?
VMWare Workstation is free for non-commercial use. W10 development environment is free to download from MS as VMware image and others. No licence needed but after a certain period it expires but still runs then shuts down by itself after a reasonable period. Just download a new version to avoid that. As for MC, it can be run as a trial version or use your existing licence to avoid it expiring (or reload the trial version after downloading another W10 image). As you said you can try to do a fresh install of MC14 to see if it helps.
Win7 is no longer supported by vmware workstation 16 so I can't try that option. At this point going back to MC12 seems to be my only option. I was planning on building a new PC in the spring with likely Win10 and maybe I'd try MC14 then or when the first revision of MC14 comes out.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 12 Dec 2020

It should be nice to have the same menu on right than for studies, with up / down arrows...

Attachments
FORMAT OBJET NEW.png
(184.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 17 Dec 2020

I have in interesting update.

Starting this past Monday the problem of charts/t&s coming to a stop, with DOM continuing to work, seemed to go away for Mon-Wed. I thought today was going to be the same. MC14 was running for hours but unfortunately the problem started just past 4pm EST. I noticed after 415pm and saw T&S didn't keep going to 415pm. I immediately looked at tsServer.exe in task manager but it wasn't increasing the RAM by any large jumps like previously during the problem. So I kept my eye on it waiting for 430pm for trading to start again to see what would happen. Sure enough once trading resumed, tsServer.exe started to increase in larger amounts and the DOM showed activity but nothing on the chart/t&s. The RAM increases weren't as big as during regular trading hours when the problem occurs and there's lots of trading activity.

Mon-Wed the RAM increases during regular trading hours when MC14 is working well are super tiny, like a few KB at a time. Running for hours and the RAM increase is barely noticeable when things are functioning correct. Seeing tsServer.exe resume activity at a non-normal rate when the problem occurs afterhours seems to show me there's a link. It's like tsServer.exe is getting clogged up with the incoming data and not "releasing" it to charts/t&s or maybe the charts/t&s are requesting data from tsServer.exe and the requests just keep building up in a que.

I'm hardpressed to believe the problem is local on my PC. I still haven't reinstalled an antivirus. I haven't made any changes to my PC or MC14 since doing a clean install of MC14. The problem still showed up every day after I did a clean install of MC14, except things decided to start working well out of the blue this Mon-Wed (and almost got through Thurs). I haven't imported my quotemanager database yet. I changed to the March contract yesterday and it worked all day and several hours into afterhours so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with a specific contract data/quotes.

I was happy to see that things were working again on Monday but I hate when things "fix" themselves because you never know if or when it'll pop up again because you don't know why it was occurring in the first place. Good thing I didn't try trading this week and kept an eye on MC14 to see if the problem would stay away. It didn't. I haven't done any trading in like 3 weeks since updating MC12 to MC14. Updating to MC14 was a huge mistake.

Could tsServer.exe be corrupted? Can I update just it alone?

Does anyone know what tsServer.exe actually does?? Are there any logs to "peek" inside of tsServer.exe?

It's now past 5pm and with no trading activity tsServer.exe appears to have stopped increasing the memory amount. It's not going down but holding pretty steady. I guess I'll wait an hour and see if it starts going up again at 6pm. The RAM increases are much larger during regular trading hours when the problem occurs relative to RAM increases during slower afterhours with the problem present. So MC14 won't max out my system RAM during afterhours like it can during regular hours when the problem is present.

janus

Postby janus » 17 Dec 2020

You stated before you are using Win7. Given it's no longer MS supported I wonder if there's an issue with MC supporting it. If you haven't already you should check with MC support. I do realize they claim to support it but it still needs to be verified just in case.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 18 Dec 2020

Yeah I use Win7pro 64 bit. Another thread had some users with Win10 experiencing, I think, the exact same type of issues...working DOM, stopped charts/t&s. The suggestion to add exceptions to WinDefender seemed like it worked for them. Since I've always had WinDefender disabled, I thought maybe its just an antivirus thing. I added exceptions to Avast but that didn't work. I fully uninstalled Avast so that's no longer a variable. I'm likely just going to see if MC will let me reinstall MC12. I was planning on a new PC build next year with Win10 and maybe try out MC14 at that point. For now I just gotta get back to trading.

janus

Postby janus » 18 Dec 2020

For now I just gotta get back to trading.
Yes, that's the reason I use VMWare to test things before I replace my production environment with the latest version of MC. It's a shame VMWare is not supported on Win7. You could try VirtualBox as it appears to support Win7 as the host but given you are setting up a new computer it's just as good to have two separate physical platforms. I do too as a backup but to save time I just fire up VMWare.

hmouta

Postby hmouta » 18 Dec 2020

That's basically the idea I use for cloning my primary SSD daily and before any major changes that might screw something up. Unfortunately out of force of habit I cloned my primary drive the night I upgraded from MC12 to MC14 so I cloned the MC14 problem to my backup drive, defeating the purpose of having it set up this way. It had been awhile since I made a big change that required cloning right before the change to have the backup drive to default to. I guess I was out of practice but lesson learned.

janus

Postby janus » 19 Dec 2020

We all make mistakes. I only clone my drive (SSD) just prior to updating MC or once every month, whichever comes first. Every other time I run my own scripts to backup important files and directories to USB sticks, external HDDs and Dropbox (after encrypting them).

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Dec 2020

You should have at least two sets of cloning media.
Every time you make back up, you overwrite the oldest copy.

SSD are cheap these days.

janus

Postby janus » 19 Dec 2020

You should have at least two sets of cloning media.
Every time you make back up, you overwrite the oldest copy.

SSD are cheap these days.
Indeed. I have three external hard drives and I keep a rolling copy of the last 2 clones on each.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 20 Dec 2020

Always impossible to load MC when QT is already runing ...

Only one user and one lifetime licence on this laptop.
Attachments
Can't load MC when QM already open.png
(118.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet

snoop

Postby snoop » 22 Dec 2020

I was one of the users that posted in another thread. But it sort of got hijacked by others suffering a different issue - slow quotes which were resolved by creating exceptions in the antivirus app. (exceptions I had already created many years ago)

My issue was data updates on scanner & chart windows stopping (iqfeed), while the DOM continues to update (cqg). I'm on windows 10 and I never had any resolution to my issue. I fell back to version 12.
Yeah I use Win7pro 64 bit. Another thread had some users with Win10 experiencing, I think, the exact same type of issues...working DOM, stopped charts/t&s. The suggestion to add exceptions to WinDefender seemed like it worked for them. Since I've always had WinDefender disabled, I thought maybe its just an antivirus thing. I added exceptions to Avast but that didn't work. I fully uninstalled Avast so that's no longer a variable. I'm likely just going to see if MC will let me reinstall MC12. I was planning on a new PC build next year with Win10 and maybe try out MC14 at that point. For now I just gotta get back to trading.

Return to “MultiCharts”