Possible purchaser. Please help with this question.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Possible purchaser. Please help with this question.

Postby bowlesj3 » 31 Jul 2007

Hi,
I am trying desparately to find out exacly the commands to do this before I get the MultiCharts demo for tryout. I want to know if MultiCharts can do this since I use Interactive Brokers and if it can I would prefer to go the
MultiCharts Route if possible rather than the TS Route.
A TS user answered part of it but I have been able to get
the rest of the question answered which occurred to me later.

Thanks for any help here. John.
====Original Email On Omega-list ========

>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope I explained this properly. I put a bit of a picture below.
>>
>> I use to use TS 4.0 end of day and I have a question about the online version available at www.TS.com.
>> Can it plot a text representation of the bollinger bands which would be on the 5 minute bars Lets say "U05, M05, L05" for each of "Upper 05, Middle 05 and Lower 05" bands.
>> out about 5 minute before the current price on the 1 minute bar chart.
>> Can I repeat these plots for the 10 minute bar bands, 15 minute bar bands, 30 minute bars bands, 60 minute bar bands, daily bar bands.
>> So here I would have a total of 3 plots each times 8 bar sizes for a total of 24 text plots. All in the format U## M## L##. Daily bars could be Udaily, Mdaily, Ldaily I suppose.
>> Each set of 3 plots would have a colomn allocation so they would not run into each other.
>> I actually do this now with Qcharts manually by simply putting out those text short forms I show above and I move them systematically.
>> I don't do this constantly for all 24 since that would be impossible. I do it for the ones, which are currently relevant as bounce points and barriers regarding targeting.
>> However it is a lot work as you might imagine.
>>
>> The other option is to have TS do a "file append" and gather the info in a sorted graphed format in MS access
(I know MS-Access like most people can walk by the way).
>> However it is handy having these band positions on the 1 minute bar chart right out in front of price. Both would be better actually since I can do targetting calculations and stop loss calculations etc in MS-Access as well as minimum slippage or whatever.
>>
>> Thanks John.
Here is what it looks like in Qcharts roughtly.
I had to use periods to get it set in columns properly.
>>
>>............................................. -U10
>>............................................. -U05 U15
>> Current Price on 1 minute bars
>>
>>
>>............................................. -M05
>>............................................. -M15
>>
>>............................................. -Ldaily

==== Omega-list List person answers ========

> just use a multi data chart with only the one minute chart showing then write your code to call from daily down to 1 minute, you can make it as simple or complicated as you wish. mb
>

==== My additional Question Below ========

Hi, TS User.

Thanks again for your earlier answer to my question (both shown above ). Unfortunately I have run into another question regarding your answer. I adjust the bollinger bands fairly often during the day. For example I recently had the 15 minute bar chart bollinger bands set at 18 bars and 1.97 deviation to give an absolutely perfect afternoon bounce (see S&P500 e-mini 2007/July/27 if you are curious). In the setup you describe in your answer above, if I decide to make this adjustment, do I also have to duplicate my efforts for the multi data chart? If yes, is there any way to write a common function which is accessed by the 15 minute bar chart and the multi-data chart which can pick up a csv file from the disk which would have the adjustment figures (18 bars and 1.97 deviation) which I could have set from MS-Access since I know that program soooo soooo well. If the answer to that last question is yes, how quick will the 15 minute bar chart pick up these figures from the csv file and actually plot it on the chart (will it be fairly quick like in a second or so?)?

Thanks for your trouble. It is really really appreciated.
If there are any questions about my question you can email me at
johnbowles@sympatico.ca

John.

Return to “MultiCharts”