Think I figured it out. Maybe you can review my assumptions.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Think I figured it out. Maybe you can review my assumptions.

Postby bowlesj3 » 07 Aug 2007

I have been reading your MultiCharts help as fast as possible.
I think I have figure out how to do the two items below;
1/ Get bollinger band and RSI data out to MS-Access for all charts
(1min, 5min, 10,15,30,60,DB,WB=WeeklyBars).
2/ Not have to adjust the bands in more than one place.
I think I was misled by the TS User on the Omega-list.
He said I had to set up a MultiData chart to get the data out.
From reading your manual here is the approach I think will work.

To come to this conclusion I noticed that there is a check box under "Study properties" called "Update on Every Tick". That was the key. Here is my assumption and method. I am assuming that since the band values are being totally calculated from that script, that I can get the file append command into a copy of the bands script called "Bollinger Bands John" and it will be run every tick.

Here is the remainder of the method.

1/ Put the file append command in the Bollinger band script on every chart (1,5,10,15,30,60,DB,WB) and write out the values to 1 file for each chart. I will be sending out the 3 band values (upper, middle lower) and the RSI value. So I will have 8 charts and thus 8 files. I will also include the last price from the 1-minute bar chart, which will contain this (last price, RSI, Upper Band, Middle Band, Lower Band). So this is the key to not having to update the bands from a special MultiData Chart. I thought I had to have a special chart to get the data out from the 15-minute bar chart on every tick. I guess I do not have to do this. If I want to slow down the writing to the file I think there is a second’s timer in EasyLanuage I could use to only write every second (or whatever) rather than every tick. It has been 10 years since I used TS 4.0 end of day. I will probably be through the EL manuals in a week or two. Combine an apple and a coffee after a good nights sleep and a light breakfast and the mind for reading is hyper alert with lots of ideas flowing (see if this one is any good).

2/ My MS-Access program now will pick up the data from these 8 files every second and I am all set to go.

Thanks,
Please let me know if this will work. If you are too slow to get back to me I may find out later today or tomorrow.

John.

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2007

no need for ms access.

multichart power language can do all the calculations for you, then do the adjustments for you automatically right on the screen, in realtime.

Thanks, So the answer to the actual question is yes I assume.

Regarding MS-Access I have something rather special in mind. I am not calculating the bands nor the RSI in MS-Access. MultiCharts can not create the type of form I need to see.

Maybe my explaination was poor. I don't want the raw data sent to MS-Access. I want the final calculated values of the bands (upper, middle and lower) sent out to access based upon whatever adjustments to the bollinger bands I have made. I agree, there is no need to make these calculations in MS-Access. However what I am doing with these calculated values in MS-Access is another thing all together and is tied directly to my trading strategy.

Return to “MultiCharts”