Settings needed for datafeed changed from IB to esignal

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
khho

Settings needed for datafeed changed from IB to esignal

Postby khho » 09 Sep 2007

Currently, my datafeed is IB. What are the changes needed in MC if the datafeed is changed from IB to esignal. Do I need to reset the database, if so how do I refresh it.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Sep 2007

No major changes in MC are required to switch from IB to eSignal. On how to do the settings for eSignal, please check with the following tutorial http://www.tssupport.com/products/multi ... Signal.htm

As for the changes in the database: do you need the data you have accumulated over the time from IB? If you do, then no changes are necessary.

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 10 Sep 2007

No major changes in MC are required to switch from IB to eSignal. On how to do the settings for eSignal, please check with the following tutorial http://www.tssupport.com/products/multi ... Signal.htm

As for the changes in the database: do you need the data you have accumulated over the time from IB? If you do, then no changes are necessary.
:? I'm confused. In the answer to my question on what constitutes the entry 'key' to the data base, it was explained that the 'thread' (i.e., database 'key') is different for every different combination of data-vendor, symbol, exchange, etc. So that would seem to mean (to me) that if someone wanted to 'keep AND use' the previously accumulated data from IB, and IB is NO LONGER subscribed to, THEN maybe you could NOT plot a chart consisting of that old IB history (with IB's symbol for the security), and then use, say eSignal, for the 'new' data (and for the same security, but different symbol format). In order to accomplish the switching from IB to eSignal would, while keep all of the old data accumulated from IB, then wouldn't you have to export all of the IB data to assci text, and then import/merge all of that data, FOR each symbol you wanted to use?

In other words, it sounds like a VERY time-consuming proceedure, unless we are only talking about a very small number of symbols to switch over, right? So, my question is merely: do I understand the nature of the task correctly? Or is this somehow more simply than I am describing here?

Another related question would be that IF it was possible to speciffy an 'alias' symbol-key that made it possible for both the 'old' IB data and the 'new' eSignal data to have the same symbol-data-vendor, then all of that need for exporting the old data, and re-importing and merging would not be needed, right? If so, then maybe you guys are already thinking about that kind of solution for implementation for a future version? :wink:

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Sep 2007

:? I'm confused. In the answer to my question on what constitutes the entry 'key' to the data base, it was explained that the 'thread' (i.e., database 'key') is different for every different combination of data-vendor, symbol, exchange, etc. So that would seem to mean (to me) that if someone wanted to 'keep AND use' the previously accumulated data from IB, and IB is NO LONGER subscribed to, THEN maybe you could NOT plot a chart consisting of that old IB history (with IB's symbol for the security), and then use, say eSignal, for the 'new' data (and for the same security, but different symbol format).
When I was talking about data merging I was talking about merging history data from one data provider with the real-time from a different data provider. Because this is what merging is: using two different providers for history and real-time. I was not talking about taking the history part of data from the database. Merging is NOT the same as importing accumulated history into a symbol.
In order to accomplish the switching from IB to eSignal would, while keep all of the old data accumulated from IB, then wouldn't you have to export all of the IB data to assci text, and then import/merge all of that data, FOR each symbol you wanted to use?

In other words, it sounds like a VERY time-consuming proceedure, unless we are only talking about a very small number of symbols to switch over, right? So, my question is merely: do I understand the nature of the task correctly? Or is this somehow more simply than I am describing here?

Another related question would be that IF it was possible to speciffy an 'alias' symbol-key that made it possible for both the 'old' IB data and the 'new' eSignal data to have the same symbol-data-vendor, then all of that need for exporting the old data, and re-importing and merging would not be needed, right? If so, then maybe you guys are already thinking about that kind of solution for implementation for a future version? :wink:
At the moment, what you can do to use the accumulated history data from IB for this same symbol from eSignal is renaming the symbol so it will be switched from IB to eSignal. In the current version of MC you would have to rename symbols one by one. In 2.2 MC release multiple symbol editing would make it possible to do the 'switch-over' for many symbols simultaneously.

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 10 Sep 2007

Thank you for that explanation.

So, in other words, the 'old' data from IB could be re-used (as history data) by changing (editing) the symbol(s) used for IB to be the appropriate symbol format for eSignal, right? For example, symbol for e-mini S&P 500 might be ESU07, and this could be changed to @ESU07 for DTN.IQFeed, or to "ES U07" for eSignal, etc, right? And any gaps between the old history and the current vendor data would automatically be identified by the QuoteManager and that 'missing' data would be downloaded, right?

Would this proceedure work if the two data-vendors used DIFFERENT names for the SAME exchange? For example, OpenTick has some VERY obscure names for almost everything, including the exchanges. So what we have to do to switch between IB and OpenTick? :roll: Maybe then we would have to export the IB data and import that data back as history for any OpenTick symbols that I want to continue using?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Sep 2007

So, in other words, the 'old' data from IB could be re-used (as history data) by changing (editing) the symbol(s) used for IB to be the appropriate symbol format for eSignal, right? For example, symbol for e-mini S&P 500 might be ESU07, and this could be changed to @ESU07 for DTN.IQFeed, or to "ES U07" for eSignal, etc, right? And any gaps between the old history and the current vendor data would automatically be identified by the QuoteManager and that 'missing' data would be downloaded, right?
When renaming the symbol it should be given a name supported by the new datafeed. After switching if you have any gaps in history they should normally be filled if the new provider gives the data in the required resolution for that particular period.
Would this proceedure work if the two data-vendors used DIFFERENT names for the SAME exchange? For example, OpenTick has some VERY obscure names for almost everything, including the exchanges. So what we have to do to switch between IB and OpenTick?
Normally, when you rename the symbol you change the exchange as well. In certain cases changing the exchange is not necessary because certain data providers (for example, eSignal) do not care about the exchange and work with the symbol name.

Return to “MultiCharts”