Two more chart refresh options suggested for better response

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

Two more chart refresh options suggested for better response

Postby 2haerim » 18 Sep 2007

Pressing Ctrl+R refreshes the current chart and downloads the whole data for that chart all over again. This is fine, but the problem is that everytime Ctrl+R is pressed, the whole data is downloaded all over again when I just wanted to download today's data only. In most cases downloadiing long period of data takes quite a time and sometimes can be a cause of MC hang for waiting for the data not provided by the data server.

For example, a 1 min chart is open for the period of last 10 years. And today after the market opens, realtime data is coming in. But the internet connection was temporarily unreliable and it is necessary to refresh today data only. But as soon as I press Ctrl+R, MC downloads the whole 10 years of 1 min data and it takes quite long.

In most cases, users will want to download today's data, but very rarely the whole period of data especially it is quite long.

So, I suggest the following options to be added:

1) Ctrl+R : refresh the whole period of data again
2) Alt+R : refresh today's data only from the session begin to now
3) Ctrl+Alt+R : refresh for user specified period

The above 2) and 3) will be much faster way of refreshing and will not cause much load on the data server side. This is important when data server hanldes lots of downloading.

Refreshing the whole chart should be rare cases, so personally I would assign Ctrl+Alt+R to the whole refresh to prevent users from downloading the whole data mistakenly and waitinig for long time.
So, my suggestion is
1) Ctrl+R : refresh today's data only from the session beginning to now
2) Alt+R : refresh for user specified period
3) Ctrl+Alt+R : refresh the whole period of data again

HaeRim
InvestWare, Inc.
http://www.investware.net

Marina Pashkova

Re: Two more chart refresh options suggested for better resp

Postby Marina Pashkova » 18 Sep 2007

Pressing Ctrl+R refreshes the current chart and downloads the whole data for that chart all over again. This is fine, but the problem is that everytime Ctrl+R is pressed, the whole data is downloaded all over again when I just wanted to download today's data only. In most cases downloadiing long period of data takes quite a time and sometimes can be a cause of MC hang for waiting for the data not provided by the data server.

For example, a 1 min chart is open for the period of last 10 years. And today after the market opens, realtime data is coming in. But the internet connection was temporarily unreliable and it is necessary to refresh today data only. But as soon as I press Ctrl+R, MC downloads the whole 10 years of 1 min data and it takes quite long.
I will pass your suggestion on to our developers. For now, what you could do is as follows: If you have a chart over a long period of time and you only have data missing over a recent period, go to Format Symbol, change the settings requesting the data only for the period where you have gaps and do a reload. This way you will fill in the gaps without having to reload the whole bulk of data.

aljafp

Re: Two more chart refresh options suggested for better resp

Postby aljafp » 18 Sep 2007

I will pass your suggestion on to our developers. For now, what you could do is as follows: If you have a chart over a long period of time and you only have data missing over a recent period, go to Format Symbol, change the settings requesting the data only for the period where you have gaps and do a reload. This way you will fill in the gaps without having to reload the whole bulk of data.
You really suggest doing this everyday ?
What if we monitor 20-30 stocks ?
Maybe you guys should try doing this everday to get a feeling of the pain your users would have to go through everyday.

I would like to add an additional option,
"refresh from previous day up to now"

Nick

Postby Nick » 19 Sep 2007

Good idea, been suggested several times. Would be very handy for IB data feed users.

A refresh all open charts 1 day option would be useful too. (I am thinking if your internet is out for a while).

Actually if you are going to add a parameter why not add 1 hour too! Most outages are resolved in an hour. (of course this could cause wrinkles on constant tick and constant volume charts but they have wrinkles anyway!)

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Sep 2007

Hello,

Thanks everybody.

We are definitely going to add this feature. As for the ETA, we need to consider if it is going to be added in Q4 or later.

Return to “MultiCharts”