Turning off the automatic update

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
futurestrader019

Turning off the automatic update

Postby futurestrader019 » 19 Sep 2007

Is there a way in MC to turn off the automatic update? I know when MC has updates out there and will update when I want to, so I was hoping I could just turn this function off. Reason being that I have my charts set to load when I start my computer and since it can take some time, I walk away. Today the charts did not load b/c the update screen said there was an update available, which then set me back b/c I had to wait again for the charts to load.

Thanks!!

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Sep 2007

When you get a message that there is an update available you don't have to update the application right away. So if you don't want to update when you are offered to do so you can just close the window and update later.

Also, although technically you can keep using older version for as long as you like, we strongly recommend updating. New versions will have most of the old bugs fixed. This way, if there are problems with those we won't have to go back to something that has already been fixed.

futurestrader019

Marina,
I understand, but I do not want that dialog box appearing every time I log into MC from this point forward. I will update when I have the time, but I need MC running during the day so I can trade and don't want to bother with the updates each day.

Is there a way somewhere - whether easily done or not - to turn this feature off?

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 19 Sep 2007

Please turn off the nagging dialog box...
I raise this the last time.....

When i want to update, i will... but please do not bug me everyday.... every single day i am reminded and i have to close the dialog box.

Most applications will inform you of a new version with a dialog box, but on this dialog box there will be a small check box to allow you to turn off the reminder.

futurestrader019

alj - yep, that's what I am looking for too. There's gotta be a way to disable this, even if it's a 'back door' method.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 20 Sep 2007

Hello,

I do understand that having to close the update window every time you run MultiCharts might be annoying. However, this has been done intentionally. We want to make sure that our customers do not forget to do the update. In many situations when you check the box asking not to show the message again, you might forget about the update altogether. It would be highly undesirable in our case because many of the old bugs are fixed in the newer versions. We often have to deal with customers who are using old versions and ask us to solve the problems which were solved long ago - in the newer versions.

Regards.

futurestrader019

Postby futurestrader019 » 20 Sep 2007

Marina,
It's annoying b/c the charts I have set to load will not load unless that box gets closed. That's the annoying part. I understand you want people to update, but even have a setting where it will only ask the question every 7, 10 or 30 days would be fine.

You haven't answered my question though - is there a way to turn this off? I'm sure there's a back door way.

Thanks.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 20 Sep 2007

There is no workaround. This has been done intentionally. Just like many other applications do.

Regards.

futurestrader019

And many other app's give the end user the option of turning this off. I guess it's a matter of the designers purposely forcing adults to look at this screen daily or not. I trade futures professionally and will update when I am ready. It's that simple.

I'm sure there's a way to turn this off somewhere and I'll have to ask a programmer friend to take a look. Just like in another thread where the user lost his program bar and you took him into the regedit to clear that out, there's more than likely a way similar to this that would yield the same result.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 20 Sep 2007

Hello,

I do understand that having to close the update window every time you run MultiCharts might be annoying. However, this has been done intentionally. We want to make sure that our customers do not forget to do the update. In many situations when you check the box asking not to show the message again, you might forget about the update altogether. It would be highly undesirable in our case because many of the old bugs are fixed in the newer versions. We often have to deal with customers who are using old versions and ask us to solve the problems which were solved long ago - in the newer versions.

Regards.
What about users who are not experiencing any bugs with the older version and do not have to update ?
Why force perfectly happy customers to update ?

Will you take responsibility if the new version introduces new bugs that now affect them ?

Take a look at IB TWS.. some customers like me are perfectly happy with older versions of it and we are not reminded daily to update.

I HAVE RARELY SEEN SOFTWARE COMPANIES DO THIS... THIS REASONING IS RIDICULOUS !

futurestrader019

Good point alj.

It's the saying - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's just a matter of giving the user the ability to update later, at their choosing. It's not asking much, but apparently TS can't see it from our point of view.

Nick

Postby Nick » 25 Sep 2007

Hi there,

Are there release notes for this recent small release? The only notes I see are for the same as for the 2.1 version a few weeks ago? I just want to try and guage whether to update or not, what's changed?

Cheers,
Nick.

aljafp

Postby aljafp » 25 Sep 2007

To TSSupport Staffs,

futurestrader019 and myself made additional points...
Do you guys intend to respond ?

thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Sep 2007

Hi there,

Are there release notes for this recent small release? The only notes I see are for the same as for the 2.1 version a few weeks ago? I just want to try and guage whether to update or not, what's changed?

Cheers,
Nick.
Hi Nick,

Have you checked this http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4322 ?

Nick

Postby Nick » 01 Oct 2007

Yes i did read those thanks, those appear to be the notes for release 2.1.976.1109. Either that or 2.1.976.1109 and 2.1.999.999 release notes have been mixed together

I am currently using 2.1.976.1109 but would like to know what has changed between 2.1.976.1109 and 2.1.999.999 so I can decide whether to upgrade or not.

Thanks
Nick.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Oct 2007

Hi Nick,

I am afraid I cannot give you a list of differences between MC 2.1.976.1109 beta and MC 2.1.999.999 release (it is technically complicated to backtrack the differences between the release and the latest beta).

What I can say is that more bugs have been fixed in 2.1 release. And we generally recommend our users to upgrade to the latest version available.

Return to “MultiCharts”