HSI future start time wrong  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

HSI future start time wrong

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2007

Why does MC chart start at 10:00am for the HSI future ?

The Hong Kong stock market starts at 10:00am, but the futures market starts at 9:45am (Hong Kong time).

Please fix it ASAP.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 Aug 2007

Hello,

Please check the session settings in Quote Manager.
To do this: right-click the symbol, go to Edit Symbol -> Sessions and see what settings are currently used. If you check Use Custom Sessions option you could set whatever times you need.

To have these settings applied when plotting a symbol, in Format Symbol->Settings choose Regular for the Sessions field.

If after these changes you still have the above problem, please let us know.

Postby Guest » 16 Aug 2007

i have checked the session. it is configured to exchange setting. the starting time on the mc is 10am.

pls fix it asap.

Marina Pashkova

Jonathan,

You are right: in MultiCharts the current sessions for HSI are set as
starting at 10:00 am. Because of the human factor we could not set all the
sessions for all the exchanges 100% correct.

However, there is an option which enables users to change these settings. As I mentioned in my previous post you can not only view these settings but CHANGE them as well.

Go to Quote Manager-> Edit Symbol->Sessions->Use Custom Sessions and type in the correct time. Later, when plotting a chart, just choose Regular for the Sessions field in Format Symbol -> Settings.

Let us know if you need any additional assistance with that.

i tried.

it is impossible to set the hk sessions because they have a 2 hr lunch break.
mc kept on re-setting the day of week and time when i increment the sessions.

pls find a fix asap.

Marina Pashkova

Try the following:

Monday 9:45 Monday 12:30 (box unchecked)
Monday 14:30 Monday 15:45 (boxt checked)

Tuesday 9:45 Tuesday 12:30 (box unchecked)
Tuesday 14:30 Tuesday 15:45 (box checked)

and so on

I gave the numbers as an example. I do not have information on these particular sessions. But I guess the idea should be clear.

I tried already, before I started this thread.

every time i move to Tuesday, the monday afternoon session will changed into tuesday session.

I will do the live chat to show you.

Marina Pashkova

I am glad we have been able to help you.

If you have any problems again please feel free to contact us.

Postby Guest » 20 Aug 2007

your HKEX time is also wrong. Please see the exchange website.

http://www.hkex.com.hk/tradinfo/tradcal/tradcal_1.htm

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 20 Aug 2007

Thank you for the information.

I will let our developers know.

TJ

HSI

Postby TJ » 28 Sep 2007

Thank you for the information.

I will let our developers know.
The HSI session time is still WRONG in the latest release.

This is a big hassle because HSI has split session. If I have to edit it manually, it will take ages.

Is there a way to copy the session time from the Sept contract and use it for Oct contract ?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Sep 2007

What you could do is edit the symbol. If you change the symbol name from the Sept. contract to the Oct. contract the settings for the Oct. contract will be the same as for the Sept. contract.

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Sep 2007

What you could do is edit the symbol. If you change the symbol name from the Sept. contract to the Oct. contract the settings for the Oct. contract will be the same as for the Sept. contract.
ok, that would do it. Thanks for the tip.

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Oct 2007

is there any way to replicate the symbol?

when i edit the sept symbol to october... the sept symbol is removed.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Oct 2007

Hello,

Once you rename the symbol it will still have all the data gathered for the previous future. Thus, if you are worried about losing the data for the old symbol once you change its name you won't have to replicate the old symbol to preserve all the data.

Please not that if you use IB as the data feed, when renaming the symbol make sure that the description is changed as well.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Oct 2007

ok, the data is still there, but how do i use it? i don't have the symbol anymore. not that i will use the old symbol often, but if i have to refer to the chart for research, i won't be able to do that.

if i create a new symbol for the old data, the time will be wrong.
if i rename the symbol, then i will still have only one symbol.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

You are right. If you rename the old symbol you will have only one symbol left. However all the data for the old symbol will be preserved in the renamed one. If you want to refer to the older data all you will need to do is plot the history stored for this renamed symbol. In other words, you will be able to plot the september contract data when using the october contract.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the old and the new symbols separately the fastest way to do that would be what you mentioned in the very beginning: just add the new symbol and choose the session settings manually. It won't take longer than a minute.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Oct 2007

if it does not take more than one minute, i won't be going through all the trouble of these threads. (and you have to do it every month during rollover).

if it takes less than one minute to input the different trading time, i am sure it will take the same for your developers to correct the setting in MC. the fact that you are spending so much time defending your error, instead of spending one minute to correct the error, shows the culture at MC.

p.s. I am sure you HAVE NOT attempted to input the session times in MC. If you have, you will know my aggravation. why don't you take a minute to give it a try and report to me how much fun that is?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

We do admit that there are errors in the session times which need to be eliminated. And indeed changing session times for just a couple of symbols is a matter of minutes (I have done that on many occasions).

However, we support over a dozen datafeeds - each providing lots and lots of symbols. Going over thousands of symbols, double-checking the times and correcting those where necessary would be quite time-consuming. We simply have not been able to do that as of yet. We are going to correct these errors in future, only I cannot say when exactly we will be able to do that.

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Oct 2007

then MC should add the ability to replicate symbols.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Oct 2007

We will be adding this functionality in future.

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

We do admit that there are errors in the session times which need to be eliminated. And indeed changing session times for just a couple of symbols is a matter of minutes (I have done that on many occasions).....
but you have never done it for HSI. it is a different animal. Go try it and see. It is not the same as the regular symbols.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

You only quoted part of what I mentioned in my post: HSI is not the only symbol we would have to check and adjust the session times for - that is what would it time consuming.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

You only quoted part of what I mentioned in my post: HSI is not the only symbol we would have to check and adjust the session times for - that is what would it time consuming.
how many people have reported errors to you? ONE? ten? hundred?

I have reported this ONE error to you, and you do not wish to correct THIS one error, then it is an attitude and cultural problem.

If there are hundreds and thousands of people reported errors to you, and you don't have time to correct them, then it is a MC problem.

Marina Pashkova

[SOLVED]

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Oct 2007

Dear TJ,

To speed up applying session settings to symbols in future you can create a session template (for example for HSI) symbol and apply it whenever you add a symbol for the respective new futures.

Custom session templates can be created in QuoteManager -> Tools -> Session Templates.

As for changing the settings here on our end, we will definitely do that. However, the program has numerous features. We usually try to group similar issues together and work on fixing them. So far, we haven't had many requests to change session settings - that is why the issue hasn't yet been fixed. But it will be.

Return to “MultiCharts”