MC 2.1 update guide

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Marina Pashkova

MC 2.1 update guide

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Sep 2007

Below is a step-by-step instruction on how to update MultiCharts:

1. Download the latest MC 2.1. release (preferably from our website
http://www.tssupport.com/products/multi ... 99.999.exe )

2. Save it onto your computer.

3. Run the installer.

4. In the installation dialogue window, choose REMOVE. This will remove the
old version of MultiCharts.

5. When you see the message offering to delete the user's data leave the box next to this message UNCHECKED. This will save your database, studies, registration info, and whatever settings you have had in place.

6. After the old version has been removed run the installer again.

7. Following the setup propmts install the new MC version.

ax

Postby ax » 25 Sep 2007

Please Note
After installation and before running Muticharts it is advisable to compile all uncompiled via PowerLanguage Editor

ax

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 25 Sep 2007

Please Note
After installation and before running Muticharts it is advisable to compile all uncompiled via PowerLanguage Editor
ax
You might also want to add the step to EXPORT and save (all) your script files BEFORE you start the install. Perhaps, this is not necessary now, but there was a time I did not do that step and I lost my changes :shock: . If anybody has found that is no longer any problem, then I would like to hear about.

ax

Postby ax » 29 Sep 2007

" EXPORT and save (all) your script files"

I have never found it nessessary to do that.

jon

Postby jon » 01 Oct 2007

I'm having problems upgrading; win2000, downloaded Multicharts.exe via the popup from starting Multicharts. It seemed to remove the installed version ok. However, when running Multicharts.exe again (to intall Multicharts 2.1.999.999) the install becomes stuck at a point where it finds a process running - multicharts.exe.

I tried this a couple of times and noticed that the process loads when initiating the installer. Seems to work in a way that the installer is blocking itself. Tried removing the process, but this just causes the need to remove the install/part install and start over.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Jon

svifx

same problem here

Postby svifx » 01 Oct 2007

HI,

I'm running Win2k too...

Workaround :
I uninstalled older version (settings->control panel->add/remove software) ...but telling to keep studies and so on ... be carefull !!!
reboot....
Install Update...

regards

jon

Postby jon » 01 Oct 2007

Thanks

I checked, but have no references to Multicharts in 'Add/Remove Programs'. Guess its from the initial attempts to delete via the new installer?

Jon

jon

Postby jon » 02 Oct 2007

Might there be something else I can try to install Multicharts. Since my earlier version being uninstalled with attempting to upgrade I am without Multicharts all together.

Looking forward to getting it working again.
Jon

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Oct 2007

Hi Jon,

I would recommend downloading the installer not through the link provided in the pop-up window prompting you to upgrade, but directly from our website: http://www.tssupport.com/products/multi ... 99.999.exe

After that try installing the program following the directions in the beginning of this thread.

If you need any further help please let us know - we could try installing MultiCharts on your machine via HelpDesk.

Regards.

jon

Postby jon » 08 Oct 2007

Thanks for your reply Marina.

However, while QuoteManager has listed all of my previous symbols,and my custom functions and indicators are available (but were not compiled), it appears that all of my workspaces are now in a different dir.

The demo .wsp files are now in C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Application Data\TS Support\Multicharts\Prebuilt\

My custom .wsp files are in C:\Program Files\TS Support\Multicharts\Prebuilt\

Which dir should .wsp files reside in? Does it matter? Will the FileOpenDialog always default to the last folder opened?

Jon

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Oct 2007

Hi Jon,

Prebuilt workspaces are located in the directory you indicated:
The demo .wsp files are now in C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Application Data\TS Support\Multicharts\Prebuilt\
As for the workspaces you created and saved, they will be located in the directory you saved it to - the location won't change.

When you save a workspace you will be offered to save it into whatever folder you referred to last.

Regards

Nick

Postby Nick » 15 Oct 2007

Please Note
ax
You might also want to add the step to EXPORT and save (all) your script files BEFORE you start the install. Perhaps, this is not necessary now, but there was a time I did not do that step and I lost my changes :shock: . If anybody has found that is no longer any problem, then I would like to hear about.
Haven't performed this upgrade yet but the last version still over wrote a users studies with default ones. Put another way if you altered a standard study you would loose your changes when updating. This is not good behaviour.

Cheers,
Nick.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Oct 2007

Hi Nick,

When updating and uninstalling the older version did you check the field "Remove User's Data..."?

Regards.

jon

Postby jon » 17 Oct 2007

Thanks Marina

The new version is working really well. Much faster loading, unloading etc.

Nick,
Although I downloaded the new ver via the window just after the splash screen, which as Marina pointed out wasn't the way to go, the new ver(MultiCharts.999.999.exe ) installed with ease, not messing with symbols, workspaces, custom functions etc, although I F3'd 'em.

Congrats TSSupport

Nick

Postby Nick » 28 Oct 2007

Hi Nick,

When updating and uninstalling the older version did you check the field "Remove User's Data..."?

Regards.
Regardless of whether you tick this box or not Studies that have the same name as 'Standard' studies are overwritten. (well they where with the last update).

This is only for studies that MC conciders 'standard'. Under no circumstances should a users woek be overwritten unless the user OK's it regardless of what the name is.

Cheers,

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Oct 2007

Hello Nick,

You are right, at the moment the studies that have the same names as the standard studies get overwritten during the upgrade. However, the user studies can be easily restored. All you need to do is to import them into PLEditor from the following location: Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\StudyServer/Studies/graph_backup.xml

Return to “MultiCharts”