Combine Day and Nightsymbol to be used as a joined symbol

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dahmen walter

Combine Day and Nightsymbol to be used as a joined symbol

Postby dahmen walter » 25 Oct 2007

Hello,

regarding certain future contracts at eSignal day and night sessions are given separate symbols. For Nikkei future at simex examples are NI Z7-SI for the day session and NI_1 Z7-SI. Daytime future starts at 07:45 Exchange Time and ends at 14:30 Exchange Time. Night future starts at 15:30 Exchange Time and ends at 19:00 Exchange Time. I can combine both to be shown within the same chart - How (if at all) could one base an indicator to use both as a single item resulting in a time-continuous contract?

Thanks for input

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Oct 2007

Hello Walter,

As far as I know, apart from separate day and night symbols, there should also be those combining the two sessions. However, if there is no such a symbol for this particular instrument there is a workaround:

Plot a chart for NI Z7-SI. After that change the symbol's name to NI_1 Z7-SI. Request the data again. This should combine the data that's already there in the database with the renamed NI_1 Z7-SI symbol (the data that has been collected for NI Z7-SI) and the data taken from the provider (for NI_1 Z7-SI).

It should work.

dahmen walter

Postby dahmen walter » 26 Oct 2007

Hello Walter,

As far as I know, apart from separate day and night symbols, there should also be those combining the two sessions. However, if there is no such a symbol for this particular instrument there is a workaround:

Plot a chart for NI Z7-SI. After that change the symbol's name to NI_1 Z7-SI. Request the data again. This should combine the data that's already there in the database with the renamed NI_1 Z7-SI symbol (the data that has been collected for NI Z7-SI) and the data taken from the provider (for NI_1 Z7-SI).

It should work.
Hello Marina

It should work but just for the actual day, i assume as after renaming the daytime Symbol would probaly no longer be collected. I thought about someting like
DATA1 is DAYTIME
DATA2 is NIGHTTIME
DATA3 is COMBIMED

but simple plotting DATA3 = DATA1 + DATA2 is not possible it might work just for close or open or high or low but what I like to achieve is to have candlesticks for the combined session.

Best regards

Walter

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Oct 2007

Hi Walter,

Yours is a very good idea. And actually it has already been implemented.

There is an indicator called Gapless Bar Chart. It won't plot canglesticks, but it wil look like a real bar chart with Open, High, Low, Close. If you make the two dataseries feeding the indicator invisible it won't look any different from a regular bar chart.

dahmen walter

Postby dahmen walter » 26 Oct 2007

Hi Walter,

Yours is a very good idea. And actually it has already been implemented.

There is an indicator called Gapless Bar Chart. It won't plot canglesticks, but it wil look like a real bar chart with Open, High, Low, Close. If you make the two dataseries feeding the indicator invisible it won't look any different from a regular bar chart.
Hello Marina,

still not what I want as Gapless Bar Chart can have to only 1 series as datasource. I need a combined data3 on which MAs, RSI whatsoever can be used. As only 3 symbols NI JP and TW on SIMEX are involved it may be odd to spend programming effort on it unless a SQL join on your database could easily provide a time series on both series ordered by time.

A simple two Symbols in One Chart with different Styles (Down in the night session foe Close < Open is sufficient for trendlines (see attached picture).

Best regards

Walter
Attachments
NI Z7-SI - 1 Hour - eSignal.png
(28.74 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Oct 2007

Walter,

I didn't express my thought very well. I'm sorry.
I just wanted to show that MultiCharts does allow using an indicator to represent data series.

The indicator that would solve the problem you're describing can be written in MultiCharts. It will reference data 1 and data 2 and plot the bars respectively in a single dataseries.

Return to “MultiCharts”