AutoTrading one symbol based on the other?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jmi88

AutoTrading one symbol based on the other?

Postby jmi88 » 25 Oct 2007

I use automated trading, and I trade crude oil, symbol CL. Is there a way that when I get the signal lets say to buy CL it will execute in the mini crude, QM instead? The signal is based on volume in the big crude so it wouldnt work the same in the mini, but I would like to have it trade the mini once the big crudes buy/sell signal is generated...Is there a way to do that with data 1 generating the signal and executing on data 2, or is it not even possible?
thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Oct 2007

Hello,

The thing is that the current MC version does not support execution of orders from different charts via the same trading account. When it is done various errors might occur including the one you're describing.

The signals need to be either applied to one chart or if applied to different charts they need to be sent to different trading accounts.

jmi88

Postby jmi88 » 29 Oct 2007

I think I understand what youre saying, but I wouldnt be executing on two symbols, just one....The CL chart would show a buy signal but instead of buying CL it would buy QM...is that possible?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Oct 2007

Hello jmi88,

There is a way to do what you are describing.

For example if you plot CL but want the order to be executed for QM you need to do the following:

In autotrading settings (Format Objects -> Signals -> Properties -> Autotrading, in settings for the broker -> Symbol Dictionary) you can 'match' CL and QM symbols.
In the Symbol Dictionary there are several columns: Chart, Underlying, Exchange, Expiry, Currency. In the Chart column type in the symbol that will be plotted on chart (CL in this particular case). In the remaining fields, type in all the properties of the QM symbol - its Underlying, Exchange, Expiry, Currency. This will plot CL symbol on chart but the orders will be executed for QM.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Return to “MultiCharts”