QuoteManager bulk-delete ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
itai007

QuoteManager bulk-delete ?

Postby itai007 » 01 Dec 2007

I accumulated tuns of tick data from the last 2 years on 100 symbols world wide using various datafeeds including DDE.

For disk space issues , how can I automatically ask the data manager to "bulk-delete" a specific date range for all data base object as it is impossible to delete the first 3 month of data 1-by-1

Lets say I have 10 RealTime intrade object all accumulating data 24 hours a day like currency and after 5 years I would ask you how to delete the first 6 month of data for all these objects together. ?

Grigorios

Postby Grigorios » 02 Dec 2007

that's a limitation of quotemanager...in TS2000i's GlobalSErver you can define for how many days back your data will be keeped...you can also backadjust furures contracts data or perform a simple stock split...those issues seem not to be mandatory for TSSupport developers...very sad....

Marina Pashkova

Re: QuoteManager bulk-delete ?

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2007

I accumulated tuns of tick data from the last 2 years on 100 symbols world wide using various datafeeds including DDE.

For disk space issues , how can I automatically ask the data manager to "bulk-delete" a specific date range for all data base object as it is impossible to delete the first 3 month of data 1-by-1

Lets say I have 10 RealTime intrade object all accumulating data 24 hours a day like currency and after 5 years I would ask you how to delete the first 6 month of data for all these objects together. ?
Dear itai 007,

1. One of the peculiarities of databases is that they can change their size in one direction only. They can only expand. That is why even if you delete some of the data from the database, it won't make it take up less room.

2. MultiCharts uses very high data compression for its database. With this high compression and the capacity of modern drives database size is not really an issue. Even millions of ticks won't take up all of it.

At the moment, what is the size of your database?

Best regards.

itai007

limitation

Postby itai007 » 07 Dec 2007

can I tell it to save only 6 month of data no more so it will work as if FIFO ?

is there any managment options for the data base as a hole and not per symbol ?

can I tell it to save only minute data for spesific symbols and not tick ?

Nick

Postby Nick » 07 Dec 2007

Are there tools (third party would do) to do databases maintenance?

Cheers.

2haerim

I vote for built-in/external database management tool

Postby 2haerim » 07 Dec 2007

There could be all kinds of things users want to do with GDB files used in MC.

For example, I would like to duplicate an existing symbol to create a new symbol along with all the data or part of it. I wish I could do it from QM, from MC's Add Symbol dialog when inserting/plotting a symbol and so on.

Currently to create a new symbol having the same properties and same data, it is painful. Duplicating multiple symbols is a nightmare.

In case you ask why I need duplication, I need it because MC does not distinguish signals from two charts with the same symbol, but I strongly need to distinguish which signal is coming from which chart when I apply AutoTrading. For TS 2000i, each chart has Strategy Name associated when a signal is generated. So any signal from two differnt charts having the same symbol is distinguishable. But MC and TS8 does not have the Strategy Name associated with the signal any more. I believe it is a mistake to drop that feature and definitely one feature that needs resurrection!

Anyway, at the moment, the only way is to duplicate symbols to make each chart generate signal with its own symbol name. For example, I use two symbols S1 and S2(duplicated from S1 with all the same properties and data).

Of course the best is that MC supports Strategy Name feature. Adding Strategy Name feature will remove all the pains and complexity for distinguishing signals.

Return to “MultiCharts”