How to move data to a second computer?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
johnson scott

How to move data to a second computer?

Postby johnson scott » 19 Nov 2007

Hi,
I'm new to MC and am trying to figure some things out

I have my trading computer at home and a laptop I want to use for analysis away from home on the weekends. What is the best way to get my historical data from my home computer to the laptop? I have more historical tick data on my home computer than I can get from my data provider, so I want to move the tick data from one computer to another.

Thanks,
Scott

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Nov 2007

time to make a FAQ

johnson scott

Postby johnson scott » 19 Nov 2007

No doubt. I am sure this has been answered umpteen times before. After wading through the first 4 or 5 pages of this forum I gave up and posted.

Which brings me to:

Is it possible to get a little more organizationinto this forum? There are almost 7600 posts and over 1600 separate threads as I write this, all in one topic, as 'MultiCharts!'

How about something like this for subtopics:
1. Bug reports
2. Wish list for improvements and feature additions
3. Data management and datafeed issues
4. Functionality questions ("How do I....?")
5. PowerLanguage programming questions
6. User Contributed studies

Even a simple level of organization such as this would make a VAST improvement in this forum, as far as user friendliness is concerned. For example, I really don't want to wade through hundreds of "How do I format my workspace?" type of questions if I am looking for programming guidance. The way it is formatted right now doesn't really lend itself well to self-education from the posts and experiences of others.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott

Marina Pashkova

Re: How to move data to a second computer?

Postby Marina Pashkova » 20 Nov 2007

I have my trading computer at home and a laptop I want to use for analysis away from home on the weekends. What is the best way to get my historical data from my home computer to the laptop? I have more historical tick data on my home computer than I can get from my data provider, so I want to move the tick data from one computer to another.
Hi Scott,

There are two ways to transfer data.

1. Copying the database.

On your home computer, go to Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases and copy the three files in there. After that replace the database on your laptop by these three files.
Please note, that this will completely replace the database on the laptop. For example, if you have a different set of symbols on the laptop they will all be lost.

2. Exporting and then importing data in ASCII format.

On the home computer, run QuoteManager, right-click the symbol whose data you would like to export, and choose Export. Choose resolution, field, and the period of time over which you want the data to be exported. Click ok.
Import the ASCII data into the relevant symbol on the laptop (QuoteManger, right-click the symbol, import, browse, resolution, dates)

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards.

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Dec 2007

No doubt. I am sure this has been answered umpteen times before. After wading through the first 4 or 5 pages of this forum I gave up and posted.

Which brings me to:

Is it possible to get a little more organizationinto this forum? There are almost 7600 posts and over 1600 separate threads as I write this, all in one topic, as 'MultiCharts!'

How about something like this for subtopics:
1. Bug reports
2. Wish list for improvements and feature additions
3. Data management and datafeed issues
4. Functionality questions ("How do I....?")
5. PowerLanguage programming questions
6. User Contributed studies

Even a simple level of organization such as this would make a VAST improvement in this forum, as far as user friendliness is concerned. For example, I really don't want to wade through hundreds of "How do I format my workspace?" type of questions if I am looking for programming guidance. The way it is formatted right now doesn't really lend itself well to self-education from the posts and experiences of others.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott
TS has a closed forum for customers only. It would be nice if we can have a forum with their type of content.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 13 Dec 2007

Dear Scott and TJ,

You are right. Now that our forum has grown, it definitely needs to get more structured. Before, it wasn't big enough to introduce multiple sections. By now, as you have pointed it, it's getting difficult to find the relevant topics.
We will soon start working to reorganize the forum.

Best regards.

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Dec 2007

don't forget the content !

it would be nice if you can populate the new forum with examples.
esp auto trade examples.

Return to “MultiCharts”