How to set multiple "Metastock" data sources ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Darkomage

How to set multiple "Metastock" data sources ?

Postby Darkomage » 12 Dec 2007

Hi,

I'm rather new here, and I must first say that I really like Multicharts. It's a wonderfull tool. And also, the support team in there is very efficient and answers quite fast... So, Thanks a lot !

I'm facing a rather annoying problem:
I use two databases,
-one is made of 5-minutes datas
-one is made of daily datas
Both are in Metastock format, some symbols exist in both databases, but some only exist in the "daily" one.

So, I use the Metastock Data Source to access my intraday datas, and so, I selected these settings in order to make things work:
"Build minutes bars from: 1min resolution file"
"Build daily bars from: minute bars"

I can open my intraday datas, in any time frame ranging from 5 minutes to yearly - no problem.
But if I try to open a "daily" symbol, I get an empty chart, even in "Daily" timeframe. I believe it is because the "Metastock datasource" looks for intraday datas to create daily datas, but cannot find any, since it only reads daily datas.

So, I thought I would be able to copy the .dll file for the metastock datasource, to make a dupliucate datasource, and to set this second one to ""ead daily datas from: 1 day resolution file".

But in fact, even with two DLL, with different names, when I change settings in one "Metastock datasource", they are changed immediately in the other one.

So, I would like:
-either someone to tell me how to configure the "Metastoock" datasource in order to be able to use either daily and intraday datas
-either a way to create a real second "Metastock Datasource", so I can use different settings for each of the datasources.

Thanks by advance!

Marina Pashkova

Re: How to set multiple "Metastock" data sources ?

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Dec 2007

I use two databases,
-one is made of 5-minutes datas
-one is made of daily datas
Both are in Metastock format, some symbols exist in both databases, but some only exist in the "daily" one.

So, I use the Metastock Data Source to access my intraday datas, and so, I selected these settings in order to make things work:
"Build minutes bars from: 1min resolution file"
"Build daily bars from: minute bars"

I can open my intraday datas, in any time frame ranging from 5 minutes to yearly - no problem.
But if I try to open a "daily" symbol, I get an empty chart, even in "Daily" timeframe. I believe it is because the "Metastock datasource" looks for intraday datas to create daily datas, but cannot find any, since it only reads daily datas.
Hi Darkomage,

You are right. According to the setup above, MultiCharts plots all the daily symbols from the minute bars. And since some of the 'daily' symbols are simply not there in the minute data file, it never finds anything. If you have daily bars that are not covered in the minute bars the following setup might work for you:

1. Build minute bars from 1 minute resolution file
2. Build daily bars from 1 day resolution file

However, with this setup, if some of the symbols are only found in the 'minute file' and not in the 'daily file', you won't be able to plot daily bars for them.

Another copy of MetaStock data provider cannot be created.

Best regards.

Darkomage

Postby Darkomage » 14 Dec 2007

Hi.

Well, in fact I tried to set up things as you said, but the problem is that some symbols only exist in the "intraday" database, so it doesn't work correctly.

Since no copy of the datasource component can be done, I think my problem has no solution... :(

Return to “MultiCharts”