3D Optimization graphics

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
gautama2

3D Optimization graphics

Postby gautama2 » 01 Dec 2007

Pls. consider other colors for 3D graphics.

It is better to have a shading that shows different colors for different y axis values and a better visible surface. This simplifies interpreting the results.

Regards
Robert
Attachments
tssmc022.JPG
(42.23 KiB) Downloaded 854 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Dec 2007

Dear Robert,

The thing is that we believe that the implementation of 3D coloring in MultiCharts gives one much more information than the kind of chart you can see in AB (at least according to the posted screenshot).

For us, the most important thing in 3D Optimization chart is to show the robust zones. The more resistant a strategy's behavior to the changes in parameters is the greener are the colors. The more susceptible its behavior to even slightest changes in the parameters is the brighter will be shades of red. Which provides a trader with really useful information. For example, in your screenshot the vast green zone means the whole area is quite robust.

On the other hand, the colors in AB's 3D chart simply show the dependence on the net profit values - which actually does not give a trader any valuable information.

gautama2

Postby gautama2 » 03 Dec 2007

For us, the most important thing in 3D Optimization chart is to show the robust zones. The more resistant a strategy's behavior to the changes in parameters is the greener are the colors. The more susceptible its behavior to even slightest changes in the parameters is the brighter will be shades of red. Which provides a trader with really useful information. For example, in your screenshot the vast green zone means the whole area is quite robust.

On the other hand, the colors in AB's 3D chart simply show the dependence on the net profit values - which actually does not give a trader any valuable information.
I am used to AB charts and can find robust zones by myself very easy. Anyway. i did not know that your coloring tries to show the robust zones. Maybe i missed this in the documentation. Basically it is a good idea to do it this way.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
Robert

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 06 Dec 2007

You're welcome Robert. If you have more questions about optimization please let me know.

Regards.

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 07 Dec 2007

Hi
Where can I find more info about this topic
Is there a tutorial somewhere
How are these charts plotted
Thanks
Milton

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Dec 2007

Hi
Where can I find more info about this topic
Thanks
Milton
Hi Milton,

You would like to receive more information on how the 3D optimization chart is plotted?

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 11 Dec 2007

HI Marina
Yes Please

Would dearly love MC to also Plot Kagi,renko,P& F charts one day
Thanks
Milton

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 17 Dec 2007

Hi Marina
Can you confirm where can I find more info about this topic
Thanks
Milton

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 21 Dec 2007

Hi Marina
Can you confirm where can I find more info about this topic
Thanks
Milton

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 21 Dec 2007

Hi miltonc4,

I apologize I could not answer your questions earlier.

1) At this point, we don't have plans yet regarding Kagi, Renko, P&F charts.

2) To plot a 3D optimization chart:

Apply a strategy to a chart, run optimization. After the calculations have been completed, its results can be represented as a 3D chart.

When plotting a 3D chart, you can choose which of the inputs will be shown on the X and Y-axis, and which of the functions (e.g.Net Profit, Gross Profit, %Profitable) will be displayed on the third axis. Also, you can choose the values for the remaining inputs not shown on the chart and see how a particular value of an input will influence the results.

On the chart, you will see how input values affect the Net Profit, Return on Account, % Profitable etc. The colours of the chart will show you how robust an area of interest is. The greener is the colour the more resistant the area is to the changes in parameter values. For example, you see that a particular combination of input values yield very high Net Profit. But it is coloured red. This would mean that this area is not very robust and even the slightest changes in values (when the strategy with these parameters is applied to real life) would result in drastic changes in Profit.

If you have more questions regarding optimization, please let me know.

Return to “MultiCharts”