Moving the MC Database to a different folder/drive

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
pbastowski

Moving the MC Database to a different folder/drive

Postby pbastowski » 24 Dec 2007

Hello,

Does anyone know how to move the MultiCharts database to another location on the hard drive or to another drive alltogether?

My C drive has filled up and I need to make some space. The MC database is 1 GB in size, so, it is a perfect candidate to move to drive D, which has plenty of space still.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Dec 2007

Hi Paul,

To move the database to a different location (for example, drive D) please follow the instructions below:

1) Copy the database which is located in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts into the new location

2) In the registry, change the paths to the 3 database files:
a) \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Portfolio - change Path
b) \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases\Storage - change CachePath and Path

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best regards.

2haerim

Would be better if we can choose the databases folders when

Postby 2haerim » 28 Dec 2007

If we change those registry values and move the databases to different folders, wouldn't "repair"/"reinstall"/"update" reset those registry values back to the original values? If that happens, users would be very much confused.

IMHO, MC setup should allow users to choose the databases location when installing MC. That way, MC setup would remember the right places when "repair"/"reinstall"/"update" is necessary. I personally would like to gather all the MC related folders into MultiCharts folder.

I personally would like to place all the MC related folders(databases, studies, caches, logs, and so on) within MC installation folder so that I can simply copy the whole MultiCharts folder into a USB and move it another computer for easy back and maintenance.

geizer

Re: Would be better if we can choose the databases folders w

Postby geizer » 05 Jun 2010

Dear TS Support,
Although the thread is quite old, think my question fits here...

Can databases be moved to a network location permanently?
I want to be able to access data from either desktop or laptop without moving/copying databases every time when required.

Thanks,
--
Pavel

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 06 Jun 2010

MC setup has an issue in handling databases and/or studies location.

MC normally installs them in predefined folder which seems to be permanently fixed.

However, users can change those location by modifying the corresponding registry values.

The problem is that when the next upgrade setup or sometimes 'Repair' is done, the setup NEVER reads those registry values and reinstall the default files into the fixed predefined folder.

Therefore those who have changed the database location by manually changing the registry values will get embarassed when the next upgrade or repair is done because they will have new initialized databases instead of existing ones.

TSS should fix this setup issue first.

moneymaker

Re: Would be better if we can choose the databases folders w

Postby moneymaker » 07 Jun 2010

Dear TS Support,
Although the thread is quite old, think my question fits here...

I want to be able to access data from either desktop or laptop without moving/copying databases every time when required.

Thanks,
--
Pavel
Good question - does that work?

If you own more copies of MC and they work in a network, that would be a big moneysaver, because only one datafeed must be paid.

tcat

Postby tcat » 07 Jun 2010

The question stands regarding environments that are split between development, operations and beta-tests.

Would a shared db support all 3 environments?

Thierry

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 24 Jun 2010

Is there a way to use MC 6 beta 3 portable?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Jun 2010

Dear Pavel,

Yes the databases can be moved to a network location. The procedure is the same as moving to a different hard drive. However they can be accessed from one computer at a time.

MC setup has an issue in handling databases and/or studies location.
Dear 2haerim,

It is not an issue. MC setup works as it supposed to.

If you own more copies of MC and they work in a network, that would be a big moneysaver, because only one datafeed must be paid.
The question stands regarding environments that are split between development, operations and beta-tests.

Would a shared db support all 3 environments?
Dear Sirs,

Unfortunately, this is impossible. MC database is locked to one computer at a time.

Dear Henrik,

Could you please precise what do you mean by "use MC 6 beta 3 portable"?

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 25 Jun 2010

Dear Henrik,

Could you please precise what do you mean by "use MC 6 beta 3 portable"?
Thank you, Dave, for reading.

I mean with use MC portable:
copy some MC-Folders to a USB-Stick. Now I can work on every PC with this USB-Stick. I can use MC at night at home and at day on work without installation on every PC.
Linke in MT, you can copy the complete folder everywhere and start from this folder everywhere.
It make also backup easier....
Thank you for listen!

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Jun 2010

Thank you, Dave, for reading.

I mean with use MC portable:
copy some MC-Folders to a USB-Stick. Now I can work on every PC with this USB-Stick. I can use MC at night at home and at day on work without installation on every PC.
Linke in MT, you can copy the complete folder everywhere and start from this folder everywhere.
It make also backup easier....
Thank you for listen!
Dear Henrik,

You are welcome. The databases can be moved to a USB-Stick. The procedure is the same as moving to a different hard drive.

However, it is not possible to run MC from a USB-Stick without installation on every PC. You should have MC installed and registry modified (to use databases from a USB-Stick).

Return to “MultiCharts”