QuoteManager - how to export / import the symbol list?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
digilocity

QuoteManager - how to export / import the symbol list?

Postby digilocity » 08 Jan 2008

Folks,

I am new to MultiCharts, but with some TS 8.3 background. I have an eSignal Premium subscription (hate the software) with all the requisite real time subscriptions to a number of futures exchanges.

I am finding the experience of using QuoteManager to create a Symbol List to be excruciatingly complicated and frustrating. For example, adding “ES H8” does not set the margin, contract expiration, min movement / big point value, or sessions times. I understand that this information may not be in the be available in the eSignal data feed. But to be forced to manually enter this information for each symbol through the QuoteManager UI is enough to drive anyone insane.

My questions is… How do I export and import the Symbol List to some form of text file? If I could export to a text, I would be able to quickly assemble an accurate symbol list through a bit of automated processing, and then re-import the updated text. Is this possible?

Alternatively… Is there an API to the QuoteManager which would allow programmatic creation and editing of the symbol list? Or is there a way to access the underlying Symbol List database that is used by QuoteManager? Either would work for me as well.

All of these approaches should similarly support maintenance of Session Templates, Exchanges & ECNs and Holidays, as most of the built-in data is “limited in accuracy”.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Jan 2008

Hello Stephen,

Exporting symbol lists in the text format cannot be done in MultiCharts.

However, in future MC versions Multiple Symbol Editing will be available. Once you add symbols from a datasource, you will be able to select them and set Sessions, Big Point Value, Price Scale and Min. Movement for all of them. Margin will have to be changed for each symbol separately.

Regards.

digilocity

Postby digilocity » 09 Jan 2008

Hi Marina,

Thank you for your quick reply. However, I am really quite surprised by your answer.

Surely there has to be some way to backup the "state" of my MultiCharts installation? What happens if my machine dies? Or I have to move my work to a different computers. Are my many hours spent creating my symbols list just lost?

Is it really that hard to create an "import / export symbol list to XML" command line utility (no UI necessary) to save your customers from loosing all their work when the worst happens?

Kind regards,

Stephen

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Jan 2008

Hi Stephen,

Once a symbol list is created all the relevant data is stored in the database. Database can be copied for backup or moved to another computer. For the guidelines on how to back up the database, please see the forum topic http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4510

Please let me know if the above answers your question.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”