Day & 24h Sessions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
iso

Day & 24h Sessions

Postby iso » 09 Mar 2008

Hello,

For each symbol I like to view a day session and a 24 hour session. How would you accomplish this in MC?

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 Mar 2008

MC collects 24hr data.

all you need is to set your chart to 24hrs or RTH.

right click on your chart,
select Format Symbol,
choose Settings tab,
in Sessions box, select 24 Hours or Regular.

note:

don't forget to go to Quotemanager to set your symbol's regular session times.

iso

Postby iso » 10 Mar 2008

That shows 24h sessions on both settings, am I missing something?

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 12 Mar 2008

Yes. If you use Regular it means MC will take your session settings from QuoteManager. Thus you need to specify day session in QM first.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 13 Mar 2008

Andrew,

If you set the session in QM to only the day session (RTH) then a daily chart will not update outside of RTH as a daily chart does not give the option to display 24 hour. Alternatively if you set the session in QM to include all trading hours including evening sessions then selecting Regular on an intraday chart will not display only RTH data.
I think this implementation is somewhat floored.

TJ

Postby TJ » 15 Mar 2008

edit: sorry... it does not work
Last edited by TJ on 16 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 16 Mar 2008

Thank you very much TG, that makes a lot of sense. But I cannot get it to work. If I enter a fake symbol the log shows "OnAbortedLoadEvent: Symbol=FAKE, Reason: Invalid symbol."

Basically it always requests data for whatever I enter in Symbol Name and completely ignores whatever is entered in Symbol Root.

I'm guessing that it must be a bug with the Iqfeed interface. What data feed are you using?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Mar 2008

Andrew,

If you set the session in QM to only the day session (RTH) then a daily chart will not update outside of RTH as a daily chart does not give the option to display 24 hour. Alternatively if you set the session in QM to include all trading hours including evening sessions then selecting Regular on an intraday chart will not display only RTH data.
Hello Geoff, you are right.

To overcome this limitation we will add an option that will allow choosing from multiple custom sessions for each chart. This option will be applicable not only to intra-day, but to daily charts as well.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Mar 2008

Thank you very much TG, that makes a lot of sense. But I cannot get it to work. If I enter a fake symbol the log shows "OnAbortedLoadEvent: Symbol=FAKE, Reason: Invalid symbol."

Basically it always requests data for whatever I enter in Symbol Name and completely ignores whatever is entered in Symbol Root.

I'm guessing that it must be a bug with the Iqfeed interface. What data feed are you using?
Hello,

If you add a symbol for a particular data provider, it must be a valid symbol. Otherwise it won't work.

Nick

Postby Nick » 25 Mar 2008

Andrew,

To overcome this limitation we will add an option that will allow choosing from multiple custom sessions for each chart. This option will be applicable not only to intra-day, but to daily charts as well.

Excellent. It would be really flexible if you could show not contiguous blocks of time too. e.g. 9-12 and 2-4.15.

Even more useful would be to have session start and end times that can occur on different days and can be more than 24 hours (sunday - monday trading is more than 24 hours on some instruments I seem to remember)

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 01 Apr 2008

Even more useful would be to have session start and end times that can occur on different days and can be more than 24 hours (sunday - monday trading is more than 24 hours on some instruments I seem to remember)
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the suggestion. We will consider these changes.

Could you please post this suggestion in the poll section as well?

Thank you!

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Aug 2008

It would be nice to be able to make a chart with US time session,
and the same symbol on another chart with European time session.

This is a very useful feature for many round-the-clock instruments.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 07 Aug 2008

This was nearly 5 months ago. A number of users have asked for the ability to choose the session for a chart; but it seems we shall have to wait a while longer:
It would be nice to be able to make a chart with US time session,
and the same symbol on another chart with European time session.
Khalid

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Aug 2008

The feature is planned, but there is no ETA yet.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 08 Aug 2008

Marina,

Thank you.

Khalid

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Aug 2008

The feature is planned, but there is no ETA yet.
Sigh... no ETA means not this Christmas.

I am disappointed.

:-(

Nick

Postby Nick » 13 Aug 2008

Me too. This sort of stuff is really just 'basic functionality'. I understand that it might be difficult because of the programs architecture but its simply necessary.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 12 Sep 2008

Yesterday I got an email reply from Stefan Knittle actually meant for another user.

As the issue being discussed was of interest to me, it was after I had read the (very encouraging) reply before I realised the e-mail was actually meant for someone else.

Because a number of MultiCharts users are keen on having TWO or MORE charts of a contract, with one chart showing Regular Trading Hours data and other(s) displaying different session(s), I reproduce the exchange below:

Inquirer to TS Support:
Is there a way that I can have 2 charts of the ES contract, with one chart showing the 24hour session and the other chart showing on the regular trade hours (830am CST - 315pm CST)? I was thinking about just adding another ES into the Quote manager and calling it something else in the description area, but I wondered if it would be a problem when connecting to Interactive Brokers. Please let me know if it is possible to create the above mentioned charts, and have them live at the same time.

Thanks!

Xxxxxx
Stefan Knittle to me:
Dear Xxxxxx,

This what you described is certainly possible in MultiCharts (one of its superior features in comparing to other platforms) .

All you have to do is to is to open a new chart window.

Add a symbol and go in the window Format Symbol to the tab Settings and choose in the section Session the option Regular. This will create a chart with the regular session settings. Then choose the data range and plot the chart.

Click in the chart window and choose the option Insert Symbol, here you have to add the same symbol as prior but now in the tab Settings under Sessions you have to choose the option 24 Hour, this will create a sub chart with the desired symbol in a 24 Hour session plot.

If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Stefan Knittel
TS Support
Khalid Iqbal to Stefan:
Stefan,

This reply was sent to me by mistake.

Khalid
Khalid Iqbal to Stefan (with a Euro chart attached):
Stefan,

I fully realise the following email was not meant for me. But I have long wanted to have simultaneously updating RTH as well as for 24 hours charts for the same instruments.

Therefore, I implemented your advise but was not able to achieve the desired results for EURO futures. In the QuoteManager I kept Euro GLOBEX session settings.

I subscribe to IQFeed.

Khalid
Stefan Knittle to me:
Do assume right that your issue is now resolved?

Sincerely

Stefan Knittel
TS Support
Khalid Iqbal to Stefan:
No!
I hope some of you have better luck than I.

Khalid

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Sep 2008

Please note:

It is POSSIBLE to have charts in 2 time sessions... so long as one of them is 24hr.

pls read my posts above for instruction.
If you need more help, I would be happy to oblige.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 14 Sep 2008

TJ,

Thank you for your kindness.

You are quite right it is possible to chart the same instrument in two different sessions. Indeed, if the data feed allows (like mine does) different symbols for monthly contract and continous contract neither of the charts need be 24 hours.

I was just foolishly taken in by the claim that the advise being offered on MultiCharts charting really was about
(one of its superior features in comparing to other platforms)
and had hoped TS Support had by some magic found remedy for the shortcomings previously posted under this topic.

How I wish TS Support would expend less effort on self-promotion and more on self-improvement.

Khalid

TJ

Postby TJ » 14 Sep 2008

I do not agree with you.

The thread subject line asks for charts in Day & 24h Sessions.
This can be accomplished. Case closed.

Start another thread if you have another issue.

Your incessant complaints of everything (real or perceived) has diminished the value of your feedback.

Your complain in this thread is just spamming/polluting a legitimate thread.

I know you are frustrated by certain issues, but now you are jumping on everything for the sake of complaining. How can anybody take you seriously ???

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 14 Sep 2008

You have every right to disagree.

And I apologise for hurting your sensibilities.

But please do not pass judgments without full facts.

When I complain, it is only on THIS forum. And only because I want MultiCharts improved.

MultiCharts has lots of good things. But these cannot compensate for what is bad.

Khalid

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 15 Sep 2008

You have every right to disagree.

And I apologise for hurting your sensibilities.

But please do not pass judgments without full facts.

When I complain, it is only on THIS forum. And only because I want MultiCharts improved.

MultiCharts has lots of good things. But these cannot compensate for what is bad.

Khalid
I think Khalid or anyone for that matter has a right to bringing out in open problems or bugs found in MC, and it is only through this approach today you are seeing improvement in MC.

There are many instances where MC has ignored addressing serious bugs and that can build into frustration which is understandable.

Rather then going against each other on this forum lets try and remain civil, refrain from personal attacks....

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Oct 2008

Hi guys,

Just wanted to clarify this issue once and for all.

I guess the primary function of this forum for the users to report bugs and ask help with problems. And that's what we really appreciate because it allows making MultiCharts a better product.

However, every now and then, instead of objective bug reports we receive verbose and not so objective complaints not supported by any evidence, sometimes not even stating a problem. I believe you would all agree that it's not exactly helpful.

We want to work together with you guys in the most efficient and objective manner possible. We're not asking to stop reporting problems - just try to be specific about the issues.

Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”